Just booked today....so excited!! Trip Insurance question.

rexy69

After reading many reviews with advice to use a PVP, I finally did today and I can't believe how much of a better deal he gave me, as opposed to booking it myself through the website or calling Carnival directly. After I hung up, I went on the website and tried a mock booking, just to see if there was a price difference, and the cabin (or any similar) he gave me wasn't even available as an option. It actually shows them being 'sold out'. So I am very pleased with using a PVP!

On our last cruise, I purchased Carnival's Trip Protection Insurance for $79/pp, but I declined that this time as I recently remember reading peoples' advice to not buy that Insurance, but to purchase other Insurance from some other Company. I don't recall what that was, so does anyone have any recommendations?

Trip insurance through the cruise line or TA is overpriced. Go here: https://www.insuremytrip.com/

OTOH, did you check to see if your credit card give you trip insurance with your cruise purchase? Mine does. It doesn't provide medical insurance, just trip cancellation.

Agree with what you said. Credit card provides trip insurance when paid with their card, we use InsureMyTrip.com to buy medical insurance, usually $30 for the week. Cheap piece of mind.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

OP - You are giving out misleading information. PVP can't offer any pricing that's better than what Carnival offers on their website or by calling to the 800 #. We know two PVP's personally and very aware of what they can and can't do.

Since you couldn't find a similar room it could be you booked last available in that category for # of passengers in the room.

We have used both "Travel Guard" and "Travel Safe" and were happy with both. We have filed claims with both and were fully reimbursed by both. I will say that "Travel safe" required less documentation in the way of medical records. If you have any existing medical issues that could potentially flare up and cause a cruise cancellation it is in your best interest to purchase your insurance as soon after booking as possible. Many companies won't cover them after a short period of time.

After I hung up, I went on the website and tried a mock booking, just to see if there was a price difference, and the cabin (or any similar) he gave me wasn't even available as an option.

Probably would have been more helpful to do that mock booking before you booked the cabin! :confused:

OP - You are giving out misleading information. PVP can't offer any pricing that's better than what Carnival offers on their website or by calling to the 800 #. We know two PVP's personally and very aware of what they can and can't do.

Since you couldn't find a similar room it could be you booked last available in that category for # of passengers in the room.

My apologies for giving misleading information, as that is not my intention. When I said the PVP gave me a "better deal", I didn't necessarily mean price-wise. I just meant that if I had've booked through the website without any assistance, I wouldn't have been able to choose from the cabins that he has access to, as the cabin he offered wasn't offered online. I also did a mock booking before calling him and it showed the entire front and mid ship as being sold out for the category & deck the cabin is on, same as the mock booking I tried after hanging up with him. It was my first time using a PVP and I'm excited with the results. :)

Trip insurance through the cruise line or TA is overpriced. Go here: https://www.insuremytrip.com/

OTOH, did you check to see if your credit card give you trip insurance with your cruise purchase? Mine does. It doesn't provide medical insurance, just trip cancellation.

Thank you reminding me of that fact...I believe my CC just might cover this. I will look into it. :)

My apologies for giving misleading information, as that is not my intention. When I said the PVP gave me a "better deal", I didn't necessarily mean price-wise. I just meant that if I had've booked through the website without any assistance, I wouldn't have been able to choose from the cabins that he has access to, as the cabin he offered wasn't offered online. I also did a mock booking before calling him and it showed the entire front and mid ship as being sold out for the category & deck the cabin is on, same as the mock booking I tried after hanging up with him. It was my first time using a PVP and I'm excited with the results. :)

Thanks for clarifying as I can see people taking your comment at face value.

Just my guess, but the room may not have appeared for you with mock booking if it is designated for a higher occupancy. My understanding is the PVP does have discretion to override the occupancy restriction. For example, if the cabin you got is designated for 3 people and you put in 2 travelers then Carnival's website may restrict showing the room for 3. You might try a mock booking for 3 or 4 people and see if the cabin group you booked shows up.

Anyways, glad to hear you had a positive experience. Enjoy your cruise.

We have used both "Travel Guard" and "Travel Safe" and were happy with both. We have filed claims with both and were fully reimbursed by both. I will say that "Travel safe" required less documentation in the way of medical records. If you have any existing medical issues that could potentially flare up and cause a cruise cancellation it is in your best interest to purchase your insurance as soon after booking as possible. Many companies won't cover them after a short period of time.

I am piggybacking onto the OPs post. Is putting a deposit on a cruise booking it? And if yes, does that mean I HAVE to get my insurance within a few days of the deposit being made?

I placed a deposit on a cruise today, it's 100% refundable and if i don't go on the cruise, then I'd be out the insurance cost if I buy the insurance immediately (within 3 - 5 days).

Cruisegal, if you want coverage for pre-existing conditions you need to buy the insurance soon after making the booking. (Except for a few policies you can get at final payment time that will cover them - but who knows if they will be available then). If you cancel, yes, you will lose the insurance, but you can minimize the loss by only insuring your deposit amount and adding to the insurance as you make payments. Just CHECK with the broker/insurance company to make sure this meets their rules.

Cruisegal, if you want coverage for pre-existing conditions you need to buy the insurance soon after making the booking. (Except for a few policies you can get at final payment time that will cover them - but who knows if they will be available then). If you cancel, yes, you will lose the insurance, but you can minimize the loss by only insuring your deposit amount and adding to the insurance as you make payments. Just CHECK with the broker/insurance company to make sure this meets their rules.

Thank you. I don't have a pre-existing (at least right now), but I did cancel the cruise. It just wasn't working out.