Maps to download for Japan

new_cruiser

maps.me

free and can be used offline once you download the maps you need

you can also bookmark locations

I've used it locally - Pacific Northwest, Las Vegas, Cuba & Europe

will be using it next year in Japan - already bookmarking important locations

I use, as a backup, mostly when traveling abroad - just in case, when cellular data isn't available (unlikely these days, since switching to Google's Project Fi with coverage in 170+ countries worldwide) - MapFactor's Navigator App ... this is a standalone free product, GPS-based using OSM maps (updated monthly for download) and optional "TomTom" maps, on my dual-sim Android smartphone (upgraded from 5" to 5.5" screen, even sharper & better w. resolution ... nice) ... basically, drive or walk off-line in cities and towns.

It is also available free to install/run & use, on iOS for iPhone & iPads, although I don't have it on mine.

https://www.mapfactor.com/en/products/navigation-software-standard/navigator-android/

Navigator is on Play Store and I have been using it for several years, and drove in the Grand Canyon National Park in AZ in 2015 where only one can barely find a usable VZW cellular tower signal, both AT&T and T-Mobile with voice/2G coverage only ... all the key POI were present for plotting our drive to/from the lodging, into town and onward to/from the interstate highway.

Maps for Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam, etc. are available free to download & use - give it a try - in 2D and 3D mode, and you can set it for "walking" instead of driving, choice of male/female voice with directions, and in other major languages.

• 2 weeks later...
maps.me

free and can be used offline once you download the maps you need

you can also bookmark locations

I've used it locally - Pacific Northwest, Las Vegas, Cuba & Europe

will be using it next year in Japan - already bookmarking important locations

Did you use your own device and, if so, I assume you have to stop some place where free wi-fi is available? Or did you use the free wi-fi phones being offered for use in Japan?

I used Maps.Me on my smartphone while in Japan. I downloaded the maps I expected to need before we left. It worked fairly well although sometimes it was a bit slow to pick up the GPS location. Worth having though. You don't need to connect to WiFi once you have the maps downloaded, you only need GPS to pinpoint where you are on the map.

I used Maps.Me on my smartphone while in Japan. I downloaded the maps I expected to need before we left. It worked fairly well although sometimes it was a bit slow to pick up the GPS location. Worth having though. You don't need to connect to WiFi once you have the maps downloaded, you only need GPS to pinpoint where you are on the map.

But do you need the data on in order for the GPS to find you? I don't have unlimited data. (Excuse my ignorance. I don't use GPS on my phone.)

But do you need the data on in order for the GPS to find you? I don't have unlimited data. (Excuse my ignorance. I don't use GPS on my phone.)

No, you don't need any data to use the GPS as long as you have the maps loaded. The map app interacts with the GPS fuunctionality without any additional downloading. In other words have your phone in flight mode, WiFi off and GPS on, and it will work.

BTW there are plenty of free WiFi hotspots in Japan. Most cafes have free WiFi. Some precincts, like Omote-sando, have free WiFi.