Safe to leave towels and clothes unattended at beach

Darwal

I have cruised a couple times before but never just did a beach day. Is it safe to leave your towels and clothes (shorts, tshirt, shoes) on the beach or lounge chair while in the water. Please note - I am not talking about valuables, that's obvious, just talking about your basic non-important items.

We are taking our kids on our next cruise and they want to do beach days and I want to be sure all of us can enjoy the water together, not play games with one person always having to stay with our towels, etc...

Thanks!

Cruisers take ship's towels for the beach - that's allowed by (all?) cruise lines.

Someone on the beach near you with the same towels?

Then they're your ship-mates.

Ask them to keep an eye on your stuff while you're in the water.

Of course you may be asked to reciprocate.

JB :)

• 1 month later...

Its actually a great question with which we have wrestled for over 50 years of very active beach going. Do you want a guarantee that everything will be fine? The truth is that there is always a risk when you leave anything unattended on a beach (or anywhere else). But our own experience is that leaving towels, cover-ups, etc. on a beach is relatively safe. We do not leave anything valuable and have a waterproof waist pack (fanny pack, bum pack, etc) where I carry our cash and credit cards. Other valuables (such as cameras, jewelry, Passports, etc) stay locked up in our cabin (or hotel) safe.

Just a note about Passports. We are aware that some folks prefer to always carry their Passports (we generally leave ours locked up in a cabin or hotel safe). If taking a Passport into the pool or sea you had best be very sure that there will never be a failure of your waterproof carrier. If your Passports are damaged (by water or otherwise) you will have to replace them...at your own expense. A replacement Passport (for USA) now costs $110 per person.

Hank