Shipping luggage to ship? Who to use?

Never thought I would have reason to consider doing this But.... we want to take advantage of a trip already booked next May 2019 (Full ship charter on Navigator) for the 75th Anniversary Of D Day sailing out of Amsterdam. Decided to spend 5 days or so in Rome pre cruise and don’t want to haul an extra bag.

So my question is has anyone had more recent experience using this service? And on Regent in Europe. Of course my worry is no bag showing up and of course the cost is crazy :) any advice or thoughts?

The three big ones are:

Luggage Free

Luggage Forward

Luggage Concierge

I would visit each of their web sites where you can price out the cost for this and it can vary. Some like Luggage Free charge by weight regardless of the number of pieces. Luggage Concierge charges by the piece with a maximum weight. All will pretty much use the same carriers.

A couple of pieces of advice.

Ship a little earlier then the recommended just to be on the safe side.

Put on your luggage tag and also inside the luggage your contact information including cell phone number. I can tell you from experience it can be a big help.

Yes there is always the risk that something goes wrong although I have never had missing luggage. Just one piece that took a few extra days and that is where the padding helped. But the same can be said if you check them in at the airport. Things can go wrong as well.

It is costly. It took me awhile to get over the sticker shock but now I just think of the cost as part of the cruise.

It is nice though not to have to deal with so much luggage and makes getting between airport/hotel/ship/home, etc., etc. very easy.

Keith

I believe that Luggage Free is somehow tied to Regent. I forget how, and I'm not sure it matters. And, yes, for sure, the service (with any of the carriers) is pretty costly.

Luggage Free is not really tied to Regent, but they are using them to ship the luggage for the world cruises and grand voyages, where Regent licks up the shipping cost for two suitcases.

We have used Luggage Free for last year’s grand voyage and this year’s world cruise and have had very good experiences.

However, if Regent does not pick up the tab, it is good to check with the other reputable companies mentioned above.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is some tie-in with Regent. I have used LF for 6 years with no problem but one which occurred with a Regent arranged pick up from Singapore. LF completely botched it and Regent took care of it with LF once I wrote a complaint letter.

So yes, I would recommend using LF?

Most if not all use DHL as the carrier and you are given a tracking number. You can leave instructions to either sign for it or leave it at the front door or designate another place you want it delivered. You will also have a phone number to talk with an agent. You cannot pack alcohol or combustible items. You will need to do an inventory and approximate value of contents. Sometimes your bags may be held up in customs but you will find that out through your tracking number. We have never had a problem. Costly? Yes but so convenient not schlepping large bags and when you arrive home you are not tempted to open suitcases and start the laundry.

This will certainly cause me to be much more organized! As in can’t be loading in Mukluks and kitchen sinks at 2am for a 6 am flight.... chronic overpacker, in spit of lovely laundry service onboard!

For this summer's Grand Arctic Splendor, Regent is using Luggage Forward. On our cruise documents, it states to contact Luggage Forward with questions. An email was sent three weeks ago and no message back yet. Not the best way to start an arrangement.

For this summer's Grand Arctic Splendor, Regent is using Luggage Forward. On our cruise documents, it states to contact Luggage Forward with questions. An email was sent three weeks ago and no message back yet. Not the best way to start an arrangement.

Beth,

Luggage Forward has a toll free number (866-416-7447). Why not give them a call?

Beth,

Luggage Forward has a toll free number (866-416-7447). Why not give them a call?

I already did (Beth and I are traveling together on this cruise). They told me they'd email me with answers to my [very basic] questions. That was two weeks ago. Not a peep.

I just want to add one other item.

When we send luggage to the ships we sail on I have used two of the three but would have no issues using any of the three.

As I mentioned earlier whatever date they suggest for pickup I pad it by a few days to a week.

When we leave the ship if the company has an affiliation with the ship where if something goes wrong and they don't show up and the ship is willing to take the responsibility to contact their local rep. or to take it to the next port of call I would do that. For example, one of the lines we sail does have an affiliation with one of the companies and they would take ownership so we use that company sending items home whereas when we send items to the ship we will use the company that makes more sense for that particular shipment.

Keith

I'd be curious to know why Regent is switching to Luggage Forward after so many years of using Luggage Free. I'll probably try to learn the answer, but doubt it'll happen.

In any case, it surprises me that Luggage Forward is being sluggish. Sorry to hear that.

Keith is exactly right about ship's responsibility when sending bags home. I find it easier to use the same company if we use shipping both ways, however.

I too am surprised that RSSC doesn't use LF for the Grand Voyage. Other than the one incident three years ago where LF did not pick up, I've had no issue.

• 2 months later...

While we have used Luggage Free successfully in the past (as noted in this thread), I feel I ought to report that our most recent experience (a few weeks ago) was poor. There simply was no person with a Luggage Free sign waiting for us at the Oslo airport, as we had been told there would be. Several people, both from Regent and in the baggage holding area, helped us look. We searched and searched to no avail, and the Regent transport to the airport needed to leave. We are elderly and it was a real problem hauling our big, heavy suitcase and getting it checked on the airline. When back in the States, I telephoned Luggage Free. They of course refunded the cost, but were unwilling to offer any other compensation (or even much of an apology) for the trouble they caused. I won't use them again.

EAGLESLOVER: I hope that one of the other companies (as mentioned in this thread) will be able to assist you.

For our two Regent world cruises the shipping of 200 lbs on Luggage Free was included (notice I did not say free) in the price of cruises. On both FedEx was shipper. We had no problems with LF either time but when Fed Ex delivered our luggage back to house after cruises it appeared they drug the bags through dirt. Filthy!! LF was suppose to have bags wrapped second time but that did not happen.

We just returned from Rome and used Luggage Free both ways and did not have any problems. We have been using them for about 10 years. I just booked them yesterday for a pickup to Hong Kong and back. I would call and check again about service to China.

I just called Luggage Free to double check on our Hong Kong pickup and also asked about China. They do ship there I was told, it just takes longer to go through customs. I was told it can take up to 3 weeks.