Yet another newbie excursion question

I'm taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise on 1/7/2019. Regent lists sample excursions from what I assume are previous similar cruises, but says the real excursion list should be available 240 days prior to the cruise. However, 240 days prior to the cruise date is exactly the day I can begin booking the excusions. This would allow no lead time to study and plan what we feel would be appropriate for us. Since I've read that everyone books the first day that they can, what do you experienced Regent cruisers do to prepare for booking excursions? Thanks in advance.

I'm taking an Eastern Caribbean cruise on 1/7/2019. Regent lists sample excursions from what I assume are previous similar cruises, but says the real excursion list should be available 240 days prior to the cruise. However, 240 days prior to the cruise date is exactly the day I can begin booking the excusions. This would allow no lead time to study and plan what we feel would be appropriate for us. Since I've read that everyone books the first day that they can, what do you experienced Regent cruisers do to prepare for booking excursions? Thanks in advance.

Well, yes it's a bit of a pain, but this timing is normal, as I recall. Studying the possible list is about all you can do. Then on the day, you can print them out (I usually have gotten a detailed list from my TA) and narrow it down, then a couple of days later, book them. It's not like they will sell out the first day.

I had the same thoughts as you last year. How does one plan if you don't know what the choices really are until the day you can book them.:evilsmile: Anyway, the excursions were indeed loaded before 240 days. I think they just give everyone that answer because they know they have to get them loaded by 240 days.

Most of the time we've found that the offered tours are a subset of the sample excursions offered before 240 days out. Many of the tours from the earlier, broader set (which looks to be all the excursions ever offered at the port, at least recently) go missing it's something obvious like night-time events when the ship is sailing at 5 PM.

So, we prioritize what we'd like to do as if all the listed excursions will be offered. Then when the actual ones are posted, it's a quick matter of 1) checking for any new excursion not previously listed (doesn't seem to happen too often), and if something new doesn't grab us then 2) finding our highest priority tour in those actually offered.

You don't have to start this process cold at 240 days out.

I am new at this too. Our cruise is in Nov. We looked at the "sample" excursions. Then a few days before the 240 days before our cruise, the excursions were listed with times and prices (for any Regent choice). All were from the "sample set." At midnight we went ahead and logged on and were able to do our selection. One of the excursions we wanted was not shown. Then by the time we finished, the excursion suddenly showed up. Since I'd already chosen a second choice, I simply called Regent in the morning and had them switch it. Another port had no excursions listed. I kept checking back and finally after a couple of weeks, the excursions suddenly were there. So as others said, make your selections based on the current list, then keep checking as the 240 days approaches for the one's available. You'll know because the times will be listed. If something you want isn't available, call Regent and get yourself wait listed. We did that on one tour and they went ahead and gave us the tour with no waitlist. If any port shows no tours or a tour you might want is not listed, keep checking as they can add tours as time goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

Please can I ask where you are seeing the sample excursions??

Thank you

uote=papaflamingo;55958492]I am new at this too. Our cruise is in Nov. We looked at the "sample" excursions. Then a few days before the 240 days before our cruise, the excursions were listed with times and prices (for any Regent choice). All were from the "sample set." At midnight we went ahead and logged on and were able to do our selection. One of the excursions we wanted was not shown. Then by the time we finished, the excursion suddenly showed up. Since I'd already chosen a second choice, I simply called Regent in the morning and had them switch it. Another port had no excursions listed. I kept checking back and finally after a couple of weeks, the excursions suddenly were there. So as others said, make your selections based on the current list, then keep checking as the 240 days approaches for the one's available. You'll know because the times will be listed. If something you want isn't available, call Regent and get yourself wait listed. We did that on one tour and they went ahead and gave us the tour with no waitlist. If any port shows no tours or a tour you might want is not listed, keep checking as they can add tours as time goes on.