Tip for room steward

Devious1

Asking as a neophyte, if you feel a tip is derserved, do you track the guy down? Leave the tip on the bed the last day? Something else?

For the room steward we leave it on the desk/vanity in an envelope with a brief thank you note. On our last cruise we were able to add the tip at guest services using OBC, so we left the receipt for her with an explanation.

For dining staff I try to get the individual's name and either give to GS in an envelope with their name, or give the envelope to the maitre d to give to the staff if I can't find the person myself and GS can't accept it. It varies by cruise line.

My husband is a night owl who works really hard all year long. On a cruise he prefers to stay up all night & sleep all day. This annoys the stewards who can't get in our cabin to clean. Upon boarding I always find the steward, tip them $20 & tell them about my husband's preferences. I also offer to speak to the housekeeping manager if the steward is concerned about not being able to keep a schedule. I ask for fresh towels when they do turn down service but otherwise instruct them to let my husband sleep. I could care less if somebody makes my bed, turns it down or leaves me chocolates. I do care that my husband gets to sleep on his schedule undisturbed.

Just a curiosity question, does he go on excursions with you? Do you have to sightsee alone? I'm a night owl, I can relate to the schedule. But my upcoming cruise, I will definitely have to reverse that.

Yes I know they agreed to the contract, but for about $4.00 a day from each pax would you clean main area, vacuum, make beds, straighten furniture (including balcony), clean shower and bathroom vanity, replace towels, restock amenities, restock mini bar, deliver any direct correspondence inside the cabin and turn down beds with or without towel animals. Extra? Daily ice, remove dirty dishes from cabin or hallway, extra towels daily or ANYTHING you need for the entire cruise except room service. And in your case, remembering your name Mr. Krozulu

Each steward has approx. 20 cabins. Let's say there's only 2 pax in each. That's a low est. 20 x 2 = 40 x $4 = $160/day. In addition to salary, whatever or however large or small it may be.

That's exactly what you would want them to be.

I don't want a Steward to be intrusive, but I do expect them to be visible in case I require some service. (And, if not the Steward himself/herself), the "associate" that appeared to be most responsible for caring for my stateroom.)

Meeting such a person once, a full day in the very late afternoon after the cruise began, *with me in my underwear", does not meet my expectation of the kind of service that I have received on other cruises, including Carnival Cruise Lines.

Each steward has approx. 20 cabins. Let's say there's only 2 pax in each. That's a low est. 20 x 2 = 40 x $4 = $160/day. In addition to salary, whatever or however large or small it may be.

You forgot one factor in your formula. As far as Princess, start time is 8AM with meal breaks and a two hour break, your off the clock at 10PM. 12 HOUR DAYS

I don't want a Steward to be intrusive, but I do expect them to be visible in case I require some service. (And, if not the Steward himself/herself), the "associate" that appeared to be most responsible for caring for my stateroom.)

Meeting such a person once, a full day in the very late afternoon after the cruise began, *with me in my underwear", does not meet my expectation of the kind of service that I have received on other cruises, including Carnival Cruise Lines.

I would not be thrilled with your one time meeting either:o . One of our favorite stewards let us know to write any requests on the notepad on the desk for the easiest communications. Never knowing if/when you will see your steward and not having consistent luck with calling housekeeping, I thought this was a really effective way to let him know of any requests, concerns, or problems. Even if we had a concern that wasn't handled by him, he was able to forward our concern to the appropriate area.

I would ask on future cruises how to best relay concerns if they do not offer the information.

Wow!! I guess I waaaaayyyy overtip? I’m just so happy that someone cleans my bathroom and makes my bed every day that I usually give $10 every other day or so and more at the end if I’m happy, which I always am. I just love the towel animals.

This last trip my card didn’t work so well and my steward dropped what he was doing to open my door like 10 times. He was my cruise hero.

Wow!! I guess I waaaaayyyy overtip? I’m just so happy that someone cleans my bathroom and makes my bed every day that I usually give $10 every other day or so and more at the end if I’m happy, which I always am. I just love the towel animals.

This last trip my card didn’t work so well and my steward dropped what he was doing to open my door like 10 times. He was my cruise hero.

Many of us tip differently and for different reasons. Don't let what others do affect your generosity - if you feel led to give that amount and are comfortable with it then good for you. I'm sure your steward appreciates the recognition for their service.