A few questions on Viking Ocean

tocruiseguy

Beautifully written. Makes me want to go back. Ahhh, the memories.

I cringe every time I read about age being a factor. We went on a HAL to Alaska a few years ago and was warned that it was a cruise full of walkers and wheelchairs. We were in our early 50's. We met a couple in their 80's and became instant friends. We traveled plane, train, bus and ship together. They told us at the end of our cruise that they were taking their final trip together. He was diagnosed with ALS. The point is they didn't hold us back. It was one of my favorite cruises.. Age means nothing.

Had the same experience on our river cruise in 2016 Grand European.

From all wonderful couples of our age and younger we clicked with the couple of being 20 years older of us. Absolutely amazing people! We write each other regularly and finally planing to visit them. We all have busy schedule :). We met some young couples that “older” than us too :( we were very sorry for them. Age is just a number.

Had the same experience on our river cruise in 2016 Grand European.

From all wonderful couples of our age and younger we clicked with the couple of being 20 years older of us. Absolutely amazing people! We write each other regularly and finally planing to visit them. We all have busy schedule :). We met some young couples that “older” than us too :( we were very sorry for them. Age is just a number.

I love that you understand and experienced something similar. I will never forget them or the memories. In fact, I treasure them.

jiminyC_fan, we have to meet one day :) I followed your Homelands last year ;)

What do you think? :)

Actually I would love that! I remember you! I am in the process of weeding through the cruises. I hate to say it but I didn't get enough Norway, LOL. I am thinking about an Into the Midnight Sun or maybe a Med cruise.

Actually I would love that! I remember you! I am in the process of weeding through the cruises. I hate to say it but I didn't get enough Norway, LOL. I am thinking about an Into the Midnight Sun or maybe a Med cruise.

Agree! We fell in love with Norway. We are taking Trades of Middle Ages this June and yes, we thought about Mediterranean Odyssey. The deal came up for Trades that we considered so here we go :). Do you care to join? :D

I cringe every time I read about age being a factor. We went on a HAL to Alaska a few years ago and was warned that it was a cruise full of walkers and wheelchairs. We were in our early 50's. We met a couple in their 80's and became instant friends. We traveled plane, train, bus and ship together. They told us at the end of our cruise that they were taking their final trip together. He was diagnosed with ALS. The point is they didn't hold us back. It was one of my favorite cruises.. Age means nothing.

This is beautiful.

We too have made dear friends several decades older than we are. We treasure those friendships and consider ourselves very fortunate.

This is beautiful.

We too have made dear friends several decades older than we are. We treasure those friendships and consider ourselves very fortunate.

Hopefully I don't sound like an agist... we don't usually go out at night dancing etc. while not vacationing and like to enjoy the nightlife/dancing while we are on a cruise ship. We hang out with however likes to do what we like to do, younger or older doesn't matter.

We were on a Great Barrier Reef cruise and the average age must have at least 70. All the bands catered to that demographic, so we ended up wherever there was a DJ playing newer stuff. We wouldn't enjoy Rat Pack and Beatles tributes (I am sure not everyone likes my musical tastes ....so nobody take offence pls.), and from what I read there aren't any DJ's

TOCruiseGuy:

Being comfortable on vacation involves so many different factors, but feeling like you fit in with the crowd is one of the most important, IMHO. I particularly enjoy meeting new people at dinner, so we always ask to share a table with other couples. Our first night at dinner, there was a revelatory moment when the other six people at the table found out that they were all 77, or very close to it, while my wife and I are in our fifties. We had a very enjoyable dinner, sharing stories about our lives and our travels, but my wife and I felt a little out of place. At four subsequent dinners, we were always the youngest people at the table. There wasn't always a 20 year age difference, but enough to take us out of our comfort zone. And this was on a 7 night Caribbean cruise, where we thought there would be others taking a one week break from work.

Our next cruise will be on Oceania, or perhaps a return to Azamara. We aren't saying goodbye to Viking, just see you in a few years after we retire.

I’m sorry but I find this story very sad. You said you were having an enjoyable meal with these people sharing stories about lives and travels. That’s what’s important - not a date on a birth certificate. I really don’t understand why a certain number of birthdays should make you uncomfortable, when you were previously enjoying that person’s company.

I’ve had a wonderful time with people 20 years younger than I am and with some 20 years older. A very wise person advised me to always keep age a number, never a concept.

I also know people who are much younger than I am who are older in the way they think and feel. They are locked into their generation, their age bracket, the music and styles popular when they were young. But I’ve met those who are older, yet younger in mind and heart.

The people I gravitate towards are open to new things, new ideas new experiences and it doesn’t matter what the date is on their birth certificate. I’m not old. I will never be old. I refuse to be old. I was just born a long time ago (longer ago than I will admit [emoji12] ). And I’m certainly never growing up.

I love all of my past, but I look forward to the future. I want to try new things. I embrace technology. I listen to contemporary music, but I still like the oldies. I never want to stop learning.

Living a long time fills your life with wonderful experiences. It can make you a fuller, more interesting person. Why would anyone reject spending time and having an enjoyable time with someone of any age?

Forget about the age of your fellow travelers. They are traveling just like you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hopefully I don't sound like an agist... we don't usually go out at night dancing etc. while not vacationing and like to enjoy the nightlife/dancing while we are on a cruise ship. We hang out with however likes to do what we like to do, younger or older doesn't matter.

We were on a Great Barrier Reef cruise and the average age must have at least 70. All the bands catered to that demographic, so we ended up wherever there was a DJ playing newer stuff. We wouldn't enjoy Rat Pack and Beatles tributes (I am sure not everyone likes my musical tastes ....so nobody take offence pls.), and from what I read there aren't any DJ's

No DJ's have been reported.

When I heard the DJs on the Celebrity,I felt like I was at a wedding reception and time to call it a night. :D I like real musicians or a live band.

Celebrity wins in your category for music venues you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Just traveled on Viking Star in January. Group of three, ages 57-75. We met several college students cruising with their grand parents, one 20-something newlywed couple, and I'd say the average ages were 60-70. The lectures, shows,spa, nightclub, afternoon tea,bars, restaurants were always full of interesting people, and it was very easy to strike up conversations. I do agree that the "show" music can use an update. The nightclub band was very good and more timely and took requests for anything. There was truly a mix of active and relaxed people. You'll find your tribe....

Originally posted by Twitchly (NOTE: No, it was the original poster who said this, not me)

——

No DJ's have been reported.

When I heard the DJs on the Celebrity,I felt like I was at a wedding reception and time to call it a night. :D I like real musicians or a live band.

Celebrity wins in your category for music venues you like.

I just wanted to point out that I didn’t write the post you responded to. I believe it was the original poster. :)

I understand people wanting to party with contemporaries and dance to music they enjoy. Based on what I’m seeing in this thread, the OP probably would be a bit happier on a different line. There are zillions of them out there. I know we looked long and hard before deciding to go with Viking for our first cruise together. (Next month! Wheee!) We aren’t enthralled by what we’ve heard about the evening entertainment, but that’s probably the least important factor to us. It’s obviously much more important to the OP.

We’re actually quite happy about the classical music apparently played throughout the ship! Perfect.

Cyber Kat, I love this, thanks for posting. I agree and wish we were traveling together!

<The people I gravitate towards are open to new things, new ideas new experiences and it doesn’t matter what the date is on their birth certificate. I’m not old. I will never be old. I refuse to be old. I was just born a long time ago (longer ago than I will admit ). And I’m certainly never growing up. >

I can’t imagine passenger age would dissuade someone from doing a cruise, tour, etc - just because the age demographics are a bit older/younger than theirs. Travel can be done at ones own pace, if the itinerary appeals to you, GO, don’t worry about how the ages of fellow shipmates.

Travel is what you make of it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 months later...
Thanks. The ships do look amazing, thats what peaked my interest to look into cruising with them. I wouldn't say we are young, being in our 50's and all, but I am concerned about how sedate the evenings and sea days are going to be. When you say old, how old? (not trying to offend anyone...as I plan to get older too) I did read that there is a Rat Pack show as part of the entertainment, had to Google it, not sure we were born when those dudes were in vogue.

We did our first Viking Ocean cruise in January, and the evening (and day time during sea days) entertainment was just fine. There’s some type of production show in the theatre (or another venue) almost every night. These range from the Rat Pack tribute to an Abba-themed revue, a Broadway “sampler”, and a very creative musical production that the cast on the Sky put together themselves with a blend of all types of music. One night, there was a movie under the stars on the pool deck. For later at night, after the production shows, there are musicians in Torshavn (nightclub-type venue) and people dance - although it’s small in there, and gets crowded. In the afternoons and evenings, there’s a classical trio that rotates around the ship, a guitarist, and a pianist, so you can catch one or more of these in various locations depending on the time of day. During sea days, there’s plenty to do - guest lecturers, a huge selection of in-room movies, board games and puzzles all over the public areas, a huge selection of books, 2 pools and hot tubs, plus the absolutely fabulous and free to all thermal spa experience on Deck 1. You can spend a full day here just relaxing and going into the various steam rooms, snow grotto, and thallosotherapy pool. There’s a full gym with new equipment, a great walking track around Deck 2, and of course a full set of spa and salon treatments that are available. Tea at 4 every day if you’re so inclined. Basically, there just isn’t enough time to fit in everything that is offered on the ship, so I don’t think you need to be worried about running out of things to do.

All that said, the vibe is more sedate, for sure, than a large mass market ship, which we just don’t do any more because we really dislike the crowds. On the Sky, for example, there were many times during any given day when I’d be the only person I saw as I walked from my room to the stairwell or to wherever else I was going. We never waited in line for any meal at any time, in any venue. The only line I ever encountered was for ice cream in the World Cafe (buffet) at lunch time - but never more than 5-10 people.

FWIW, I’m mid-50s, and while I suspect I was on the younger end of the age demographic, it didn’t detract in any way from how much fun we had. Pretty much everyone we encountered had great mobility, could handle all of the walking components of various tours with relative ease, had no issues with getting off and on the tenders, etc. We made lots of friends and had tons of great conversation. I’d say the major difference is that pretty much everyone on the trip was retired, with a few exceptions, regardless of chonological age.

There is SO much to recommend Viking - even compared to Oceania, which was our previous cruise line of choice - that I wouldn’t hesitate if I were you to book any Viking itinerary that appeals to you.

• 2 months later...

Love reading this thread! Lots of interesting comments regarding "the age issue". Our first Viking cruise was a river cruise in China, 2012, - we had no idea what it would be like and were thrilled with the adventure. The river boat in China was certainly different from the Viking river longboats sailing in Europe these days. We've now been on five or so Viking river and ocean cruises with four more lined up. We've always found fascinating people to talk with and have enjoyed those younger and those older than the two of us (66 and 72). I've recently been diagnosed with a mental illness (mild cognitive impairment), so we are getting our cruising and other adventures in as soon as possible. I'm planning on still being right in there with our group's theme nights, wacky activities, and the fun of engaging with others around us. Age is a state of mind (no pun intended) and I hope that everyone will take advantage of all they can do while they can still do it.

Side note: Solent Richard- very happy to see your comment. I love your reviews on your website!