Cruising with a French passport from Miami?

tychux72

We have an adult passenger on our itinerary that has a French passport that was issued this year in Los Angeles. He has a valid California drivers license. I am told he holds dual citizenship. Can he travel from Miami to Caribbean and back to Miami with this? NCL rep had no idea and sent me to CBP for answers. They were closed. We’re all checked in online with no issues. Since this is our first cruise, we have little knowledge. Any help?

We have an adult passenger on our itinerary that has a French passport that was issued this year in Los Angeles. He has a valid California drivers license. I am told he holds dual citizenship. Can he travel from Miami to Caribbean and back to Miami with this? NCL rep had no idea and sent me to CBP for answers. They were closed. We’re all checked in online with no issues. Since this is our first cruise, we have little knowledge. Any help?

You are _not_ going to get a definitive answer on this forum. [but I will venture a guess]

If this is a 'closed loop' cruise, where US citizens can cruise without a Passport by supplying all the documentation that would be required to obtain a passport [uS Birth Certificate & Driver's License is typical] then the French Passport may be ignored.

For other cases, it gets complicated - e.g. a Consular Report of Birth Abroad in place of a BC. Perhaps, if time permits *and* the paperwork is available, a US passport would solve any complications.

It is _possible_ that NCL will be able to use the French passport on their manifest, but that will lead to complications at the end of the cruise for re-entry to the US. Get a written statement in advance from CBP.

If he has an American passport, he'll use it. Americans have to use their US passport to leave and enter the USA, never mind which other citizenships they also hold. Birth certificate obviously doesn't work in this case so closed loop regulations for American born US citizens don't apply. I don't know anybody who would take their naturalization papers on a cruise.

If he is not an American citizen, he will use his French passport and green card or whatever visa is in his French passport. Driver's license has nothing to do with it.

I bet this person doesn't travel for the first time outside of the USA and knows what to do.

With most cruise lines, if he has dual citizenship and one of those is US, then for US based closed loop cruises he only needs a valid picture ID (drivers license) and a birth certificate -or- a Passport. If he only has a French Passport then that will be required.

I would check again with your cruise line to be sure of their non-Passport requirements for this itinerary to be sure. But in any case a valid Passport is all that would be needed.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are assuming that he was born in the USA and therefore has a US birth certificate. I am assuming he was born aboard. He could be born abroad to an American citizen or he could be a naturalized US citizen. All speculation on our part. :cool:

I bet he has a passport and knows nothing about this question.

French passport says born in Pasadena,CA. USA. I never thought it to be an issue until today when the NCL rep seemed clueless to the inquiry and sparked my curiosity. 3 weeks until we leave.

It is illegal for an American citizan holding dual citizenship to leave and re-enter the US on his non-US passport. However, he can use the non-US passport to enter and leave foreign countries.

While the friend may not need a passport for this trip, he/she probably should get a US passport for future travel that does require one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Ive never met the person so I am being given info 2nd hand. US passport renewal is in he works. The Cruiseline weeks ago said everything was ok, then today it’s an issue. Now we’re in panic mode as this person may be left behind. We sail in 3 weeks. I’m having to send him to Los Angeles passport office to see what he can do and why French passport was issued in time, but not the US. If I can verify he has a certified birth certificate for the WHTI cruise, then the issue is moot. Just have to make sure he doesn’t get hurt or miss the ship.

French passport says born in Pasadena,CA. USA. I never thought it to be an issue until today when the NCL rep seemed clueless to the inquiry and sparked my curiosity. 3 weeks until we leave.

If he was born in Pasadena then use his US birth certificate and his drivers license. No need to pay any attention to a foreign passport.

This is why the fine print in the cruise documents say the passenger is responsible for obtaining the correct travel documents and visas.