Alarm clocks

carlucci40

I never really understood why cruise ships don't have digital clocks in the rooms. I know if I wake up in the middle of the night or early morning, I like to look over and see what time it is without effort. Allure of the Seas has a nice Digital clock w/ iPhone docking station, but I've yet to see this on any other ship.

The problem is how to make them show the proper time. Time zones change and ship's time may or may not change.

And you are wrong also. Putting your phone in Airplane mode does not automatically stop your phone from changing time zones.

But in any case, even though mine does change, it’s easy to manually change the time zones back to the one this ship is on.

If you phone is in airplane mode, how does it know what time zone to use? That normally comes from the cellular connection.

Mine (several generations of iPhones) have NEVER changed the time zone in airplane mode.

Like other posters, I like to see the time when I wake up. I cannot see my watch or phone without also putting on my specs, but can work out an alarm clock with clear numbers etc. It is such a small, and light, item that I don't see any point in not taking it.

Why would you need an alarm clock when you are on vacation?

If you are referring to someone suggesting you take an alarm clock, that person may not have a smart phone. Most modern cell phones can double as an alarm clock.

I have a flip phone and never take an alarm clock .I do wake up calls via Guest Services .

As several have mentioned, I also take a small battery-operated alarm clock that sits on the desk. It's easy to see from most parts of the room without having to find/pick up my phone. I only wear a watch in port, set to ship time. But, we do use the ship wake-up call as our actual alarm.

My small battery powered alarm clock cost about $10. My iPhone cost about $800! My alarm clock sits out on my night table 24/7 and works quite well. My iPhone generally sits locked inside my cabin safe. I do not need an $800 Alarm Clock!

Hank

My small battery powered alarm clock cost about $10. My (smartphone) cost about $800! My alarm clock sits out on my night table 24/7 and works quite well. My (smartphone) generally sits locked inside my cabin safe. I do not need an $800 Alarm Clock!

Yes, I replaced your iPhone with a smartphone to be inclusive of Android devices.

Can that $10 alarm clock also take pictures? Play music and audio books? Be your scheduler? Portable maps? GPS?