Powerstrips...THE TRUTH

Jack and Linda

• 2 weeks later...

As for power cable, I pack one of these along. It's a one-to-four power splitter, and I had originally purchased it because of power bricks taking up too much space on a power strip.

As for a USB charger, I use this charger. It has two USB QuickCharge ports (for compatible devices) and four USB charger ports. Don't forget the USB cables.

Princess still seems to allow extension cords (without surge protectors) per the FAQs on their website.

*Electrical devices such as small fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords without surge protectors are allowed onboard when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

DO NOT pack a power strip for your RCCL cruise. My luggage was held up by security and my power strip was confiscated because they are deemed a potential fire hazard. A word to the wise...don't pack one!

Just got back from a RCCL cruise to Bermuda last week. I had a power strip with surge protector in my luggage and didn't have any issues.

Just got back from a RCCL cruise to Bermuda last week. I had a power strip with surge protector in my luggage and didn't have any issues.

Yes. Can extension cords (with or without surge protection) make it onboard? Yes

Should you bring them? No.

From the RCCL website:

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Prohibited items:

• Electrical Extension Cords

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Of course, personal responsibility to play by the rules is necessary.

I've attached something from the USCG in regards to "Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels".

If you’ve read the prior posts on this thread, especially Z’loth’s link, then I hope you won’t take your surge-protected cord again. It’s not a case of the cruise lines trying to inconvenience you, it’s a case of them trying to prevent a fire.

If you’ve read the prior posts on this thread, especially Z’loth’s link, then I hope you won’t take your surge-protected cord again. It’s not a case of the cruise lines trying to inconvenience you, it’s a case of them trying to prevent a fire.

Which is the bigger inconvenience... having the surge protector taken away from you, or trying to remember what was said at the muster drill when the emergency sirens go off for real?