World Cruise Pre-booking Question

mame42

Please, could any past World Cruisers who pre-booked directly through the HAL Grand Voyage desk (and had no PC) explain how they were notified when actual booking opened. I am terrified that I will miss the call!

None of my business really, but why do you want to book such an expensive, extensive cruise directly with HAL? There are travel agents who specialize in long cruises and offer prices that are as good as or better than HAL along with many additional perks?

None of my business really, but why do you want to book such an expensive, extensive cruise directly with HAL? There are travel agents who specialize in long cruises and offer prices that are as good as or better than HAL along with many additional perks?

I don't think that TA's can pre-book at this stage. This cruise won't open for actual bookings until late June or July. We also pre-booked and were told that HAL would notify us when bookings open. At that time we can call our TA and get a price. I'm not not sure I am remembering correctly, but I think the World Desk said we then would have two weeks to make the booking.

Not helpful. You have no way of knowing the circumstances at the time, nor do I owe you an explanation.

Not helpful. You have no way of knowing the circumstances at the time, nor do I owe you an explanation.

I apologize if I have offended you. I was simply trying to be helpful based upon my experiences with booking long cruises.

I am sorry. Please forgive me.

I apologize if I have offended you. I was simply trying to be helpful based upon my experiences with booking long cruises.

I am sorry. Please forgive me.

Apology accepted.

I always use a TA but when I pre-booked the 2018 GWV onboard the Westerdam in April of 2016, I had grown dissatisfied with mine and was planning to switch (to one who gives discounts, perks, and great customer service). The future cruise consultant suggested leaving the booking in my name for the time being. Since I had no personal consultant with HAL, one was assigned to me. He called while I was out but e-mailed me the invoice the same day. Next day I had my new travel agent take over the booking. The cabin I had selected when I pre-booked was on the first invoice I received. I was given 6 days to make the complete deposit. The cruise came up on the HAL website 6 days after my first invoice.

I always use a TA but when I pre-booked the 2018 GWV onboard the Westerdam in April of 2016, I had grown dissatisfied with mine and was planning to switch (to one who gives discounts, perks, and great customer service). The future cruise consultant suggested leaving the booking in my name for the time being. Since I had no personal consultant with HAL, one was assigned to me. He called while I was out but e-mailed me the invoice the same day. Next day I had my new travel agent take over the booking. The cabin I had selected when I pre-booked was on the first invoice I received. I was given 6 days to make the complete deposit. The cruise came up on the HAL website 6 days after my first invoice.

This reply contains lots of good information. Thanks!

I don't think that TA's can pre-book at this stage. This cruise won't open for actual bookings until late June or July. We also pre-booked and were told that HAL would notify us when bookings open. At that time we can call our TA and get a price. I'm not not sure I am remembering correctly, but I think the World Desk said we then would have two weeks to make the booking.

Thank you for this clarifying post!

Does anyone have any educated guesses as to the order in which they fill pre-booking requests: for instance by date of request, in order of cabin class, or those pre-booked on Grand Voyages first?

Does anyone have any educated guesses as to the order in which they fill pre-booking requests: for instance by date of request, in order of cabin class, or those pre-booked on Grand Voyages first?

You raised an interesting question: Can you pre-book a non-Grand Voyage?

You raised an interesting question: Can you pre-book a non-Grand Voyage?

I may ask in July. The process for me has always been what they called a "Future Cruise Request" made while onboard. I've done it twice, once while on the Prinsendam in 2015 for the 2017 Grand Asia (first segment), and again a year ago while on the Zaandam for the 2019 Grand South America.

It's been noted that the Koningsdam is going to Alaska in 2020. The westbound cruise around South America is published but I'm on a World Cruise when that starts. I assume Kdam has to do a similar eastbound repo at the end of the Alaska season but it is not yet announced. I plan to ask about it when on either the Volendam or Westerdam.

Roy

I may ask in July. The process for me has always been what they called a "Future Cruise Request" made while onboard. I've done it twice, once while on the Prinsendam in 2015 for the 2017 Grand Asia (first segment), and again a year ago while on the Zaandam for the 2019 Grand South America.

It's been noted that the Koningsdam is going to Alaska in 2020. The westbound cruise around South America is published but I'm on a World Cruise when that starts. I assume Kdam has to do a similar eastbound repo at the end of the Alaska season but it is not yet announced. I plan to ask about it when on either the Volendam or Westerdam.

Roy

So . . .if I am understanding what you may try to do, it is to pre-book a currently non-existent cruise that might be later come into existence? Hmm... Will be curious to see if that can be done.

So . . .if I am understanding what you may try to do, it is to pre-book a currently non-existent cruise that might be later come into existence? Hmm... Will be curious to see if that can be done.

Neither of the Grand Voyages I pre-booked existed at the time of booking. That can be done, the question is if it can be done for a regular voyage.

Roy

Neither of the Grand Voyages I pre-booked existed at the time of booking. That can be done, the question is if it can be done for a regular voyage.

Roy

When I tried aboard the K to pre-book the 2018 Grand Asia, the FCC was obnoxiously unhelpful, stating that she had never heard of such a thing, implying that I was delusional to even think about it. Of course, the same FCC told another couple that they would need to look up info on an existing cruise themselves because she couldn't look it up on her computer.

I suspect you got a dud of an FCC on the Koningsdam. I'm only on the Volendam 3 days, but I may try there and ask again on the Westerdam if I don't get a satisfactory answer.

Roy