Jet lag

rittsail

Give me a flat surface and 10 minutes, and I can be asleep in no time. It's a great ability when traveling long distances and many time zones in a short period.

Heading eastbound, which is at night, I doze on the plane, but never get a real sleep. When I get to my hotel, though, first thing is take a nap for 2-3 hours. Then I get up and have a light lunch, check out the area for a few hours, then another nap. By dinner time in my arrival city I want a meal. Then it's an early night, going to bed by 8:30-9:00. By morning, I'm a little groggy, but otherwise fine.

I love westbound home, though. From Europe I get home about 7:00-ish, have a little while to unpack the important things, then get to bed maybe by 10:00, or a little earlier. Next morning, at the usual home time, I waken feeling pretty good.

Each of us has a very different internal clock. the more we travel, the more we learn about our own and what works for us individually, After about 8-12 long distance, many time zone flights, we know how best to get our selves adjusted to local time in arrival city,

I find that getting on the destination time as soon as I step on the plane is helpful. I also spring for a business class ticket going eastbound and take a night flight. I skip the drinks and dinner and go right to sleep. Then I wake up in my destination and stay awake until bedtime. Westbound if I’m taking a morning flight I stay awake until I get home (that’s difficult since they shut the lights off on the plane sometimes and everyone else is sleeping) But I get on destination time as soon as I get on the plane.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've realized that there is such a thing as 'too short' a long- haul flight, and it's preferable to have one even longer.

Flights of 8, 9, or 10 hours just don't give you time to get a decent rest, whereas flights of 14-16 hours do. On the 'shorter' long flights you have to spend time in line for the flight to take off, then the actual take-off and climbing portion. That can take a while. Then, it's time for drinks and food service. With all the hustle & bustle, it's at least a couple of hours before you can settle down with some sort of peace & quiet.

Then, before you know it, breakfast service begins, and you have to get ready for landing.

But on a much longer flight, you can squeeze in 8 hours of rest between the beginning and end upheaval. Under those circumstances, I know I arrive in much better condition to get to my hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m back! As predicted by many of your comments, our early morning arrival was a poor choice. We really should have arrived later. Even noontime would have been better. All was well by the next day though and w e were able to fully enjoy ourselves on our tour.

Now coming back was a different story. We are really struggling and both of us feel slightly ill and out of sorts.

It was a learning experience and now we know how to plan our next flights to Europe a little better! Thank you again for all your helpful suggestions!

That’s exactly what I think I’ll try. I have ambien already, but wasn’t sure when to take it. I’ll definitely try this strategy. The flight times you describe are identical to what we’re taking from Atlanta.

This works for me, too. Last time we went to Europe, DH thought he'd watch a movie after dinner. Mistake! He was up all night and deranged by morning. I closed my eyes right after dinner and woke up fresh in Rome. Discipline and a sleeping pill.

Years of business travel. I can fall asleep before wheels up.

Now, going to Europe, I stay up later the night before. Once we get in our room we shower and then go our. Dinner at 7 or so, then we sleep. Next day all is well.

We rely on a product called "No Jet Lag." It's homeopathic pills that you take every 4 hours on the plane if you are not sleeping. Helps you adjust to the new time zone. By the next day after arrival, we feel fine, which was not the case before we found this product! They used to only be available in the TravelSmith catalog, but now they are more widespread. I believe the last time I purchased them it was through Walmart online.

We use No Jet Lag as well and find that it does help.

Take it at take off, every two hours (if awake) and at landing.

I also find that my feet don't swell on the long flights when I take it.

We discovered it when we were in New Zealand, bought some for the flight home (which is VERY long) and have used it ever since. One time we couldn't find it so didn't have it for the flight and we saw a significant difference.

So, we use it for any flight that takes us through a lot of time zones now.

rittsail,

Glad to hear by the 2nd day you were okay over there. Many don’t shake it for longer, so you must have done something right! Were you able to sleep on the flight?

I’ve found coming back can indeed be worse. What I try to do, if at all possible, is try and block off a very long time as close to normal bedtime to sleep. I try not to fall asleep too soon, but use Chamomile tea, as others suggested, plus melatonin as aids. If I can get extra hours of straight, uninterrupted sleep, I find it helps me. And a little extra coffee upon awakening to help keep me awake. Good luck!

We use No Jet Lag as well and find that it does help.

I suggest that everyone read up on homeopathy. "Homeopathic "remedies" are usually harmless, but their associated misbeliefs are not. When people are healthy, it may not matter what they believe. But when serious illness strikes, false beliefs can lead to disaster." This quote is from Homeowatch, check out the site: https://www.homeowatch.org/

I suggest that everyone read up on homeopathy. "Homeopathic "remedies" are usually harmless, but their associated misbeliefs are not. When people are healthy, it may not matter what they believe. But when serious illness strikes, false beliefs can lead to disaster." This quote is from Homeowatch, check out the site: https://www.homeowatch.org/

Just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's true.

It's obvious this physician is against homeopathic remedies. You can pick and choose studies to slant results all you want.

Forward thinking physicians are not against homeopathic remedies as long as they are consulted and as they don't conflict with the regular medical protocol and there is no conflict with the medications.

Neither my physician nor DH has any issue with this remedy and that's more than good enough for me. I trust them more than the internet. ;)

When we flew to Barcelona, we took No Jet Lag. I bought it either at Travel Smith or Magellan’s, but they now sell it at Amazon. I have no problem with homeopathic remedies. Neither does my PCP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always feel bad for people who get jet lag. I get so excited for a new city or big holiday i can’t sleep going. I slept from nyc to LA (since I’ve been there) then was up my whole flight to AUS drinking and watching movies. Landed at 10a local time. Shuttle to first city. Bags down Bloody Mary by noon. Then just active until I couldn’t handle it anymore. Passed out at 7p and woke up at 8a and was ready to go. Couple people said it. Hydrate hydrate hydrate. Also on the plane set your time to your destination and don’t think “it’s this time at home, I should be...”. I know this is not for everyone but if you can stay up for 20 hours before your plane ride most likely your body is just screaming for sleep, so you will. This is how I am on the way home. Beat from the holiday and exploring and usually not wanting to go home.

Sent from my iPhone wishing there were more swingers.