Any tips for new comers?

Netosha

Honestly...take a highlighter and highlight items of interest on the daily schedule!!! Be ready to change your schedule. Don't sweat the small stuff!!! We just came off a RCI cruise..we booked an excursion through the cruise line and the company got the pier mixed up and we did not get to swim with the sting rays. The one thing on my list....lol!! But, we just got more deck time on the ship!!! Had a great day!! One man on the bus...with his kids just started letting the company have it, in front of everyone...whew!!! So my point is plan...but take it all in stride, you are on a ship!!! A very happy place!!!! ( They gave our money back..so no problem)

Forget the highlighter and just download the hub app before you leave. You can access the Funtimes through it and “favorite” the things you want to attend. It will even provide a reminder when the event is approaching.

The most important advice I can give you, though, is don’t sweat the small stuff, and be open minded. A cruise is an adventure! You may have missed ports, changed ports, medical emergencies...you just can’t predict these things. But, you will have fun if you just go with the flow. There is so much to see and do. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do the sea day brunch in the MDR. Pack 1/2 to 2/3 of what you have laid out. You won’t need it. For a small fee let them do laundry just past the half way point. We usually have them do the bag for $15 and have mostly clean clothes on the trip home. Take 4 gallon ziplock bags for wet clothes if you have to pack them in the suitcase. Pack patience and understanding. If there is a huge line for breakfast, walk out to the aft pool deck to find no line at that food station. It’s a ship, enjoy the ocean. It’s our favorite vacation. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fly into the embarkation port at least one day before the cruise departs. Weather or mechanical issues can ruin your cruise.

On the same note, get a passport well in advance of your departure date, and MAKE SURE you don’t leave it at home!

Enjoy your cruise!

Don't forget to relax. Our first cruise we tried to do everything and while we had a wonderful time, we were exhausted when we left the ship.

Also, don't get pressured into purchasing expensive souvenirs. Remember, it won't be easy to return once you get home (or leave the port) if it turns out to be faulty. My favorite souvenirs are Christmas ornaments. I will buy more expensive items but not for more $$ than I am willing to call a loss. My all time favorite purchase was from a lady that had a little stand in Belize. She was selling her paintings on scraps of torn canvas. She was so proud of her work and said she was famous locally. Oh - another tip :) be sure you have room in luggage for souvenirs...I have had to buy luggage twice on vacation due to lack of souvenir space.

Hope you have a great time!

Sometimes is easier to give tips based on ages, and what ship you are going on.

That said you already have some good tips. I will add these.

1. On boarding day go early. You are paying for the day so use it all.

2. Bring a backpack for ports if you are going to beaches or doing water type excursions.

3. Remember when you are boarding the ship you are not boarding a plane. When we board early we but pack swimsuits, sunscreen and valuables in the backpack to board and check everything else with the porters. Once in board we change and head to the pool. Always great because it is not crowded because most people have their suits packed in bags not delivered to the cabin yet. Usually there is many people dragging suitcases to eat and around the ship waiting to get in their cabin.

If you like to dress casual, go to the pool and beaches bring a few extra tee shirts because they get wet or dirty.

If you are a pool person buy some chair towel clips to clip towel to chair. It is often windy on sea days.

Take a 3 to 1 plug adapter.

They don’t allow strips but most ships only have to plugs. Let’s you keep items charged. Some new ships have usb charge ports but most do not.

In warm weather home ports, I WEAR my bathing suit (under clothes!) so that I don't have to find somewhere to change. Cabins aren't usually ready until 1pm, and we are usually onboard by 11:30 am. Eat a late breakfast, so you don't have to partake of the "feeding frenzy" when you board! Boarding day is about the only day you will have your pick of pool chairs!! A tote bag works for pool and beach, too...you don't really need a backpack! Towels for pool and beach are on the ship.

Just remember, this is nothing but a vacation! There is no right or wrong way to vacation!

If allowed, bring a power strip or something to charge more than one thing with just one outlet. Outlets can be scarce. Not all cruise lines allow power strips though. If you have mostly gadgets, USB chargers will work just fine and I haven't heard of cruise lines banning those yet.

If you have a passport and are visiting foreign countries, just bring it to be safe. Take pictures of the info you need (including backs of credit cards) and save those pics on your phone. So, even if you leave everything locked in your safe, you'll still have the info in case of emergency.

Even in dining rooms, it's all you can eat. Feel free to experiment or indulge. I order stuff I never would on land. Everyone talks about how to eat healthy on board, etc. If you're trying to diet, sure. I'm on vacation. I diet before and after. On the cruise, I enjoy myself. :)

Ask your room steward if you're uncomfortable. They typically have mattress toppers if the bed is lumpy, different bedding, etc. They're incredibly helpful and can do more than just clean your room and make your bed. You will interact with them and your dining room waiters (if you have traditional set time dining) the most and they're a fountain of information.

Do the Sea day tea time. I didn’t discover it until my 4th cruise and man was I missing out. It’s a super neat expirence! Look out for it in the fun times.
In general is the high tea a dressy thing or can one get away with shorts and a polo shirt?

• 3 weeks later...

1. Room Service, most items are free, we order the night before coffee & pastries/fruit/yogurt, relax and then prep leisurely for breakfast later.

2. Take tiny battery operated tea light for bathroom at night. Just enough light to take care of business without turning on that bright light.

3. Realize all food may not be exactly perfect, but you don't have to cook it, serve it, or clean up after. And as someone said, order anything, it's okay.

4. Take $1.00 bills for tipping a few folks...baggage handlers, bartenders, room service attendants. It is not required, but kindness is appreciated.

5. If you like to be around people, sit with lots of folks at dinner. Fun getting to know others, and you get insights on what they do for fun.

Mostly, don't expect perfection, just enjoy!

Edited by CM1984
type error

What are some tips you would offer for a first time cruiser?

What cruise line, what ship? Some of the things mentioned in the replies are only on some cruise lines, not all.

Don't feel that you need to take part in all the activities. Give yourself time to relax.

Join your Roll Call and see what their plans are.

Read the advice in the thread at

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2592410

Edited by NMLady

• 1 month later...

Pick and choose what you really like to do. You will learn real fast that it’s impossible to do everything during your sailing. Read the cruise compass everyday to see what activities that you are interested in doing and be sure to go with an open mind and have fun. Cruising becomes really actitive. I have personally been on over thirty five plus cruises since my first sailing on Royal Caribbean’s Song Of America way back in May 1983.