Entertainment Reports

takemewithyou

Just off the Quest and Yes, Yes and Yes.

I'd be very interested in other cruisers' honest feedback on the new entertainment format. Kudos to Azamara for trying something different, but I feel this will need a LOT of tweaking to say the least. I enjoyed some of the guest entertainment, but I don't see the format as being any different. I sense that it's just an outsourcing of this segment of the entertainment schedule.

As to the Shorts on Ships - oh dear. We suffered through 7 of them (including the first night teaser that went down like a lead balloon) and they were uneven to say the least. I just don't feel the writing is strong enough or that the format has been tested thoroughly. What might work for a roomful of texting millennials with attention deficit doesn't necessarily work at sea.

It also didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that by enlisting the 'actors' into secondary roles (daily trivia hosts, guest artist follow spotlight control) you can eliminate one or more of the onboard entertainment staffing slots.

I was surprised by the overwhelming negative reaction to the Shorts on Ships concept from guests we chatted to, perhaps the idea needs a bit of fine tuning. Time will tell.

That doesn’t sound promising. What about the music ? What or who has replaced the piano player and the guitarist??

Looks like Azamara May have to go back to the drawing board.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm not sure the supplementary music entertainment onboard has changed recently, cruisers with recent experience could advise.

As it is 6 years since we last sailed with Azamara (we've been sailing with Celebrity) I was aware of the changes that we saw - but I missed the guitar player in Windows, the harpist (who I know has been long gone) and Max who was a very entertaining pianist.

To be fair, every cruise line has seen cutbacks and streamlining and I wouldn't have expected Azamara to be any different.

I had a message back from an experienced cruise friend of mine today who is on Journey at the moment and I asked him about the entertainment. His comment was "The shows are horrible. Honestly. OMG.":eek:

Phil

Let’s hope it improves before June.

That doesn’t sound promising. What about the music ? What or who has replaced the piano player and the guitarist??

Looks like Azamara May have to go back to the drawing board.....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We sailed Quest in early Feb on the first cruise when the “new” entertainment was introduced. There was a trio onboard which consisted of a female singer, keyboard player and guitarist. They perform all over the ship together or separately. So there is still guitar music and piano music offered.

The Shorts on Ships, I.e short plays were not being received well.

I had a message back from an experienced cruise friend of mine today who is on Journey at the moment and I asked him about the entertainment. His comment was "The shows are horrible. Honestly. OMG.":eek:

Phil

The welcome onboard opening show featured a 'Short' entitled Oy Vey Mariah. Here's the synopsis:

It's the very first Christmas and Mary didn't invite her mother to the birth of Baby Jesus. Of course Mom arrives, armed with a brisket, a healthy dose of guilt, and lots of advice for her daughter about Jewish motherhood.

Now I have no particular religious affinity or leaning, but even I did a double take and went 'ouch' as the stereotypes came and went along with the jewish mother, Mary, Joseph and the baby. I'm not too sure this was thought all the way through. What might look good on a storyboard in Lower Manhattan maybe doesn't translate too well given the sailing demographics of Azamara.

The welcome onboard opening show featured a 'Short' entitled Oy Vey Mariah. Here's the synopsis:

It's the very first Christmas and Mary didn't invite her mother to the birth of Baby Jesus. Of course Mom arrives, armed with a brisket, a healthy dose of guilt, and lots of advice for her daughter about Jewish motherhood.

Now I have no particular religious affinity or leaning, but even I did a double take and went 'ouch' as the stereotypes came and went along with the jewish mother, Mary, Joseph and the baby. I'm not too sure this was thought all the way through. What might look good on a storyboard in Lower Manhattan maybe doesn't translate too well given the sailing demographics of Azamara.

We saw the same play. I could see where this could upset some people! It was pretty edgy as were a couple of others we saw.

How were the 54 Below entertainers?

I like the idea behind the 54 Below partnership, the Azamara stage suits the concept of cabaret/supper club entertainment. This of course is dependent on keeping the calibre of guest entertainer at a certain level.

We enjoyed most of the acts - Samantha Ivey, Jennifer De Noia and Matthew Hydzik were all featured vocal performers. Jakum Trasak, an amazingly talented violinist. The standout ironically was Sasha, Quest's resident arranger and backing pianist. He filled in for a late arriving guest artist, and was remarkable.

I like the idea behind the 54 Below partnership, the Azamara stage suits the concept of cabaret/supper club entertainment. This of course is dependent on keeping the calibre of guest entertainer at a certain level.

We enjoyed most of the acts - Samantha Ivey, Jennifer De Noia and Matthew Hydzik were all featured vocal performers. Jakum Trasak, an amazingly talented violinist. The standout ironically was Sasha, Quest's resident arranger and backing pianist. He filled in for a late arriving guest artist, and was remarkable.

Are the Shorts on Ships performed in The Cabaret? They are not my thing at all and plan to give them a miss when I board in June.

Like the sound of the trio though and hope that tweaks that some posters think necessary will have been completed by the summer

I have just booked a Celebrity charter cruise and it's purely for the entertainment onboard. It's a Music and Culture cruise with exclusive private access to Bilbao's Guggenheim Museum and an evening event there. Kind of like an Azamazing Evening.

As for the entertainment on the cruise well I don't think mezzo soprano Katharine Jenkins, tenors Alfie Boe and Wynne Evans, cellist Julian Lloyd Webber, The National Symphony Orchestra, The Celtic Tenors, Mirusia (Andre Rieu's principal singer), West End star Ruthie Henshall and The Jonathan Welch Choir can be beaten in terms of onboard entertainment!

On our 17 day cruise, the Shorts on Ships formed the evening entertainment on two separate nights in the Cabaret. An early and late repeat of the same three plays (just in case you want to catch an encore performance).

I have just booked a Celebrity charter cruise and it's purely for the entertainment onboard. It's a Music and Culture cruise with exclusive private access to Bilbao's Guggenheim Museum and an evening event there. Kind of like an Azamazing Evening.

As for the entertainment on the cruise well I don't think mezzo soprano Katharine Jenkins, tenors Alfie Boe and Wynne Evans, cellist Julian Lloyd Webber, The National Symphony Orchestra, The Celtic Tenors, Mirusia (Andre Rieu's principal singer), West End star Ruthie Henshall and The Jonathan Welch Choir can be beaten in terms of onboard entertainment!

Wow, that does sound wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I recently experienced Azamara’s new revamped entertainmenton the Feb 20 Quest voyage. I do appreciate that this is a work in progress, and I commend Azamara for trying to change things up for those of us who have seen “Voices” 10 times, but I hope they will take concerns seriously. I also see this as probably a bottom-line equation, in that it is seen as a cost saver to contract out the entertainment. That said here goes.

There are two independent contractors providing the new entertainment. The first is “54 Below at Sea” a new company that manages the onboard talent. This consisted of one or two Cabaret shows of singers, a pianist, a violinist, and a magician. These were the typical talents that often occur on ships and were excellent. Part of “54 below“ is also the longer-term contractors that remain for a few months including the 5-piece band led by Sasha that provides back up for the guest singers (and CD and ACD), and did several well received Cabaret Theater/ and Living Room solo performances, as well as music for Jazz brunch. Other longer term “54Below” performers included “The sparkling duo/trio” consisting of female Latin singer Julia with keyboard and guitar, George the piano player, and Alex on guitar play at the regular venues, Spirits, Living Room and Poolside for VERYshort sessions. There is more time without music than with. The Trio was pleasant enough in the LR. However George was not very charismatic and most nights people were more interested in the TV than his Piano bar playing in Spirits.

The second group of contracted entertainment is the Miami-based “Shorts at Sea” a group of 5 “actors” that are on two- three month contract. The actors were supposed to provide 10 short plays (1 first night, described above) and three nights of 3 shorts in the Cabaret Theater. Interestingly only two nights ever happened. I did see the first night of three shorts, I found two shorts mildly funny, and the third embarrassing! I truly have seen better grade school performances. The “actors”also act as entertainment staff managing games like Scattagories, and general knowledge, music and visual trivia. As this was only their 2nd cruise, they worked in pairs for a while, and then advanced to solo. Most of the actors were very pleasant and fun, but one was quite rude refusing to go back to repeat a song or a visual slide. I know the activities are not everyone’s idea of fun, but it was part of the job they signed up for. Considering on a 15 night cruise they each worked activities 3 days and presented a total of ~2 hours of entertainment, I think they should have ungrudgingly repeated slides and songs.

The new entertainment format includes Cruise Director and Assistant Cruise Director (replacing the activities manager position) and they each performed shows in the Cabaret Theater one night to add to the entertainment schedule. Leo the DJ still worked each night in the LR.

White Night is always a party and the new entertainment package affected this somewhat. Russ and Ernest led the evening along with the Sparkling trio, and the actors took to the dance floor. Overall the evening was fun, but Julia’s voice was not White Night friendly, and her song repertoire is different, not as over the top flamboyant as previous White Nights. With only three singers at White night (one very weak) instead of the usual five, I missed some of the great vocal renditions of the past.

Othercomments: LCV party had Sasha and the boys as entertainment, but the dancers performance, and usually a song or two as entertainment were sorely missed. Discover’s Party had NO entertainment, and was quite perfunctory. No elite breakfast on a 15 night cruise.

Edited by Leo_On_Geo
spacing

We were on the first Quest cruise with the new entertainment. Some was very good and some not. The Sparkling Trio/ Duo from the Ukraine (female vocalist, her husband the guitarist and the piano player were excellent, especially when they performed together. As for the short plays, they really need work. It was embarrassing to see so many people walk out after the first one (and that was the best of the three). We are hoping that by the time we are back on the Quest, the entertainment will be a lot better. We really miss the pianists (Ed, Max and Simon) and the great Quest Dancers (though many of the shows were getting old - ie. Voices); it was a shame they just didn't provide them with new material instead of replacing them. We will be back on the Quest in a few weeks; hopefully they will have ironed out some of the kinks:):):):)

I recently experienced Azamara’s new revamped entertainmenton the Feb 20 Quest voyage. I do appreciate that this is a work in progress, and I commend Azamara for trying to change things up for those of us who have seen “Voices” 10 times, but I hope they will take concerns seriously. I also see this as probably a bottom-line equation, in that it is seen as a cost saver to contract out the entertainment. That said here goes.

There are two independent contractors providing the new entertainment. The first is “54 Below at Sea” a new company that manages the onboard talent. This consisted of one or two Cabaret shows of singers, a pianist, a violinist, and a magician. These were the typical talents that often occur on ships and were excellent. Part of “54 below“ is also the longer-term contractors that remain for a few months including the 5-piece band led by Sasha that provides back up for the guest singers (and CD and ACD), and did several well received Cabaret Theater/ and Living Room solo performances, as well as music for Jazz brunch. Other longer term “54Below” performers included “The sparkling duo/trio” consisting of female Latin singer Julia with keyboard and guitar, George the piano player, and Alex on guitar play at the regular venues, Spirits, Living Room and Poolside for VERYshort sessions. There is more time without music than with. The Trio was pleasant enough in the LR. However George was not very charismatic and most nights people were more interested in the TV than his Piano bar playing in Spirits.

The second group of contracted entertainment is the Miami-based “Shorts at Sea” a group of 5 “actors” that are on two- three month contract. The actors were supposed to provide 10 short plays (1 first night, described above) and three nights of 3 shorts in the Cabaret Theater. Interestingly only two nights ever happened. I did see the first night of three shorts, I found two shorts mildly funny, and the third embarrassing! I truly have seen better grade school performances. The “actors”also act as entertainment staff managing games like Scattagories, and general knowledge, music and visual trivia. As this was only their 2nd cruise, they worked in pairs for a while, and then advanced to solo. Most of the actors were very pleasant and fun, but one was quite rude refusing to go back to repeat a song or a visual slide. I know the activities are not everyone’s idea of fun, but it was part of the job they signed up for. Considering on a 15 night cruise they each worked activities 3 days and presented a total of ~2 hours of entertainment, I think they should have ungrudgingly repeated slides and songs.

The new entertainment format includes Cruise Director and Assistant Cruise Director (replacing the activities manager position) and they each performed shows in the Cabaret Theater one night to add to the entertainment schedule. Leo the DJ still worked each night in the LR.

White Night is always a party and the new entertainment package affected this somewhat. Russ and Ernest led the evening along with the Sparkling trio, and the actors took to the dance floor. Overall the evening was fun, but Julia’s voice was not White Night friendly, and her song repertoire is different, not as over the top flamboyant as previous White Nights. With only three singers at White night (one very weak) instead of the usual five, I missed some of the great vocal renditions of the past.

Othercomments: LCV party had Sasha and the boys as entertainment, but the dancers performance, and usually a song or two as entertainment were sorely missed. Discover’s Party had NO entertainment, and was quite perfunctory. No elite breakfast on a 15 night cruise.

We were also on the Quest cruise which introduced all the new entertainment. Leo summed it up very well describing the new performers. Some were excellent (The Sparkling Trio/Duo) and some not so, especially Shorts at Sea. It was embarrassing to see many people in the audience walk out early in the performance. We stayed for all three the first night and wished we had joined them.

We did enjoy each of the 54 Below at Sea performances with some top notch entertainers. We still miss the wonderful pianists of the past (Ed, Max and Simon) who brought us so much enjoyment. We wish instead of replacing that terrific group of young Quest dancers, they had provided them with new material to replace the aged shows which seemed to be around forever. But change happens and we will hope that it will eventually be better:)

I’m really hoping they do something to keep the ballroom dancers who were part of the cast. Sasha and Dima, Alexy and Alina. They are just crazy to get rid of them. So much potential as part of a class act for Azamara, these guys stand out on their own. I’m keeping everything crossed.

Phil

I’m really hoping they do something to keep the ballroom dancers who were part of the cast. Sasha and Dima, Alexy and Alina. They are just crazy to get rid of them. So much potential as part of a class act for Azamara, these guys stand out on their own. I’m keeping everything crossed.

Phil

Me too Phil. All four of the dancers are a class act. I'm sure a speciality set could be done for them. I would love to see a whole show of just the dancers.

Over the years we have lost the harpist and the piano in Mosaic in the evening. We don't like the shoes but that is personal.taste. we enjoy the pianists or guitarists in various venues. Nothing we have heard so far makes is look forward to our next 3 booked cruises and the recent changes.

I'm joining the fingers, etc. crossed crowd!

I've only sailed on Azamara twice and the quality of the entertainment was huge for me. The dancers, solo piano and guitar in various venues were things I talked about long after. I thought it was just coincidence that I saw Voices on both cruises, so that wasn't a problem either. I'm all for freshening up what's getting old and tired, but the reviews of what's going on now are making me nervous about what I may find on my next cruise. I hate, HATE walking out on any entertainer, but Oy, Vey Mariah would force me to vote with my feet. I don't think it'd play well in Lower Manhattan, either. Sounds just tasteless and tacky and I'd hope someone would be vetting what's offered a little more carefully.

Oy, vey, indeed!

Melissa

Pretty impressive line up.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Forums mobile app

Phil

I also think they messed up when they let the dancers go and will be keeping my fingers crossed that they have a change of heart and bring them back. I'm also disappointed that Max, Ed and Simon are no longer on board. They're going to be hard to replace.

Garry

I always thought the dancers could do a special show on their own - given how popular Strictly come dancing or its US equivalent is, I was even more surprised that they pulled back on the dance input. The dancers were so good at the other onboard things as well - trivia, dance classes, crafts etc