How are the Swans doing 2018?

Hi mates

Greetings from the USA. Another AFL season has started and my Swans are looking, well, if not good at least better than last season start LOL.

We had such great fun last season discussing them and the other (inferior) teams ;p, that I thought we should have another go this season.

So, what are their chances of making the finals? Who might rise up to the challenge of taking the mighty Swans down?

Go Swans

ML

NoWhiners, we haven't lost a game yet!! :) :)

First match against Eagles on Sunday over in Perth. It's always a tough road trip, but to be fair, the Eagles are fielding 4 debutants and it's the first ever AFL game at Optus Stadium so the ground is new to both clubs, so it's a good opportunity to make up for last year's terrible 0 & 6 start.

We're down on ruck talent unfortunately due to Kurt Tippett's retirement (not a huge loss) and Sam Naismith's ACL season-ending injury (a bit of a loss), so we'll have to improvise a bit. Maybe stack Tom Papley onto Kieren Jack's shoulders, and use an extra-long guernsey.

Should be an interesting season! Tigers off to a good start, but not without a couple of scares. The "experts" mostly agree on the Crows, Swans, Tigers, Giants and maybe Cats as the teams to beat this year. There's really only a handful of teams that most people agree will probably not make finals, otherwise it's down to whoever has the best form in finals.

NoWhiners, we haven't lost a game yet!! :) :)

First match against Eagles on Sunday over in Perth. It's always a tough road trip, but to be fair, the Eagles are fielding 4 debutants and it's the first ever AFL game at Optus Stadium so the ground is new to both clubs, so it's a good opportunity to make up for last year's terrible 0 & 6 start.

We're down on ruck talent unfortunately due to Kurt Tippett's retirement (not a huge loss) and Sam Naismith's ACL season-ending injury (a bit of a loss), so we'll have to improvise a bit. Maybe stack Tom Papley onto Kieren Jack's shoulders, and use an extra-long guernsey.

Should be an interesting season! Tigers off to a good start, but not without a couple of scares. The "experts" mostly agree on the Crows, Swans, Tigers, Giants and maybe Cats as the teams to beat this year. There's really only a handful of teams that most people agree will probably not make finals, otherwise it's down to whoever has the best form in finals.

I read that the game will be in Perth and was sorry to see that Naismith will miss the season.

No 0-6 start for them this year or I'll burn my Swans flag :D:D

Yeah season just kicking off. Doubt it’ll be 0-6, more like 0-10.

I'll bookmark this and come back when we're 1-5. Hah!! The joke's going to be on YOU, buddy.

:mad::loudcry:

Great come from behind win for my Bombers last night. It was such fun to be there, the noise of the Bomber crowd was deafening in the last quarter. My grandson and his mate were shown on the telecast after the game high fiving the players. We were all receiving texts from family and friends telling us they had seen the boys. Tomorrow off to see the Dees and Cats at the MCG with son, DH and granddaughter.

Leigh

Great come from behind win for my Bombers last night. It was such fun to be there, the noise of the Bomber crowd was deafening in the last quarter. My grandson and his mate were shown on the telecast after the game high fiving the players. We were all receiving texts from family and friends telling us they had seen the boys. Tomorrow off to see the Dees and Cats at the MCG with son, DH and granddaughter.

Leigh

The boys are famous, you'll never be able to influence them now!

Can't wait for the Swans to beat the Eagles--that will quiet Mr Gut :D

Sounds like you are back in the swing of things after your cruise. It can take a few days to re-adjust to normal life. I hate having to make that adjustment ;)

ML

ROUND 1

========

Rich 121 def Carl 95

Carlton took it right up to Richmond, but the Tigers just had too much class in the end and ran away with it.

Ess 99 def Adel 87

Only saw bits of the last quarter, I think the same sort of deal, Essendon just ran over the top of them.

StK 107 def Bris 82

Much the same, Brisbane hung in there a couple of quarters but faded

Port 110 def Fre 60

Did not watch. Freo will be terrible again this year I think.

GC 55 def NM 39

Only watched some of it. Shocking conditions, between the likely last and second last teams. Not a good watching experience.

Haw 101 def Coll 67

Hawthorn won, which is always terrible, but Collingwood Lost, which is always nice. A fair compromise.

GWS 133 def WB 51

Didn't watch. Giants will be strong again this year I think.

Melb 94 def by Geel 97

Geelong only bothered turning up for one quarter, but Melbourne didn't have the class or skills to sneak the win. Had a golden opportunity but Max Gawn missed a goal from a shot directly in front with seconds to play. Unlucky.

WCE 86 def by Syd 115

We're already 1-0!! This year is already a huge improvement on 2017! Great effort going all the way over to Perth and jagging a win. The Eagles might have blooded a few youngsters but man did they put up a fight. It was much closer than the score indicates - a double goal to Will Hayward flattered us. But we got a possible goal of the year contender from Luke Parker, which you can see here ->

ROUND 1

WCE 86 def by Syd 115

We're already 1-0!! This year is already a huge improvement on 2017! Great effort going all the way over to Perth and jagging a win. The Eagles might have blooded a few youngsters but man did they put up a fight. It was much closer than the score indicates - a double goal to Will Hayward flattered us. But we got a possible goal of the year contender from Luke Parker, which you can see here ->

Yay--no O-fer for the Swans this season:D

Thanks for the summary of the other games. They haven't been on US TV (or at least I can't find them). Going to check out that you tube link.

Where are all the naysayers now???;)

ML

Yay--no O-fer for the Swans this season:D

Thanks for the summary of the other games. They haven't been on US TV (or at least I can't find them). Going to check out that you tube link.

Where are all the naysayers now???;)

ML

My mate is in Buffalo and is a big Aussie Rules fan, he watches it on one of the Fox Chanel’s I’ll try and remember to ask him what channel he gets it on, if that helps.

He is a Lions fan, but other than that seems sane enough.

ROUND 1

========

Rich 121 def Carl 95

Carlton took it right up to Richmond, but the Tigers just had too much class in the end and ran away with it.

Ess 99 def Adel 87

Only saw bits of the last quarter, I think the same sort of deal, Essendon just ran over the top of them.

StK 107 def Bris 82

Much the same, Brisbane hung in there a couple of quarters but faded

Port 110 def Fre 60

Did not watch. Freo will be terrible again this year I think.

GC 55 def NM 39

Only watched some of it. Shocking conditions, between the likely last and second last teams. Not a good watching experience.

Haw 101 def Coll 67

Hawthorn won, which is always terrible, but Collingwood Lost, which is always nice. A fair compromise.

GWS 133 def WB 51

Didn't watch. Giants will be strong again this year I think.

Melb 94 def by Geel 97

Geelong only bothered turning up for one quarter, but Melbourne didn't have the class or skills to sneak the win. Had a golden opportunity but Max Gawn missed a goal from a shot directly in front with seconds to play. Unlucky.

WCE 86 def by Syd 115

A good review of this round's matches losfp, but I disagree about the Dees v Cats game yesterday. I was at the G to watch this game with my husband, son & granddaughter. It was very even for most of the match except for the 2nd quarter when the Cats kicked 7.5 to 2.4. In the end Geelong were very lucky to win. Both teams made many mistakes and kicked badly throughout the game. The wind, which was quite strong, didn't help as it changed direction a couple of times (which helped Geelong in the 2nd quarter) and also swirled a fair bit at other times.

Leigh

A good review of this round's matches losfp, but I disagree about the Dees v Cats game yesterday. I was at the G to watch this game with my husband, son & granddaughter. It was very even for most of the match except for the 2nd quarter when the Cats kicked 7.5 to 2.4. In the end Geelong were very lucky to win.

Well.. I don't know if we're disagreeing that much, this is exactly what I thought as well! Melbourne were on top for more of the match however they simply lacked the polish to take advantage, particularly late when both sides were fatiguing very badly.

My wife is a Geelong girl so I'm most likely going to be able to offer comments on games involving Geelong or Sydney as those are the games I'll be watching.

My mate is in Buffalo and is a big Aussie Rules fan, he watches it on one of the Fox Chanel’s I’ll try and remember to ask him what channel he gets it on, if that helps.

He is a Lions fan, but other than that seems sane enough.

Last season, towards the end, Fox Sports did start carrying AFL games. I searched and can't find them, so may it is too early. They are carrying rugby and FA Cup games in the UK now.

There are worse things than being a Lions fan...I guess :D

ML

A good review of this round's matches losfp, but I disagree about the Dees v Cats game yesterday. I was at the G to watch this game with my husband, son & granddaughter. It was very even for most of the match except for the 2nd quarter when the Cats kicked 7.5 to 2.4. In the end Geelong were very lucky to win. Both teams made many mistakes and kicked badly throughout the game. The wind, which was quite strong, didn't help as it changed direction a couple of times (which helped Geelong in the 2nd quarter) and also swirled a fair bit at other times.

Leigh

I was sad for you when I saw the scores. I will always root against Geelong--they knocked the Swans out last year ;)

ML

Well.. I don't know if we're disagreeing that much, this is exactly what I thought as well! Melbourne were on top for more of the match however they simply lacked the polish to take advantage, particularly late when both sides were fatiguing very badly.

My wife is a Geelong girl so I'm most likely going to be able to offer comments on games involving Geelong or Sydney as those are the games I'll be watching.

What I was disagreeing with was this sentence -'Geelong only bothered turning up for one quarter, but Melbourne didn't have the class or skills to sneak the win.' It was a very even game with similar skills and class from both teams. Even the Geelong coach said it was due to luck they won.

Perhaps we'll just have to agree to disagree about this match. I go to most Melbourne matches as well as Essendon games when they don't clash so I can offer comments on both clubs. I also have a soft spot for Geelong as my sister was a mad Cats' supporter until she passed away so I am not too biased to either Dees or Cats.

Leigh

NoWhiners; it was a awesome win. Had it all under control from first quarter. West Coast got close at 3 quarter time; but the Swannies kicked away in the last. Buddy Franklin kicked 8 goals in a MOM/MVP performance. So 1-0 now & Port Adelaide next on Sunday arvo..

Oh Swannies where the bookmakers Favourite to win the flag at beginning of season. With GWS winning big. The 2 Sydney teams are on track may-be for the first all Sydney GF. Show those Mexicans(Victorians) some-thing.. Lol

NoWhiners; it was a awesome win. Had it all under control from first quarter. West Coast got close at 3 quarter time; but the Swannies kicked away in the last. Buddy Franklin kicked 8 goals in a MOM/MVP performance. So 1-0 now & Port Adelaide next on Sunday arvo..

Oh Swannies where the bookmakers Favourite to win the flag at beginning of season. With GWS winning big. The 2 Sydney teams are on track may-be for the first all Sydney GF. Show those Mexicans(Victorians) some-thing.. Lol

Thanks for this, I haven't read much about the Swans win. Happy to hear that Buddy is coming around. last year we were at opening day and he did not have a good night. We had read all about him and were disappointed he didn't do better (I think he played basketball here??)

Can't wait for the next round :D

Go Swans

ML

What I was disagreeing with was this sentence -'Geelong only bothered turning up for one quarter, but Melbourne didn't have the class or skills to sneak the win.' It was a very even game with similar skills and class from both teams. Even the Geelong coach said it was due to luck they won.

That's fair. I'm just commenting on my observations, however I really only sat down and watched the last quarter properly - in the first 3 quarters I was in and out of the room a lot while my wife was watching the game.

I have been very quiet on this thread and just been lurking. Probably because of my mild embarrassment at the team I support.

Bombers messed up my possible 9/9 starting week in my tipping.

I have been very quiet on this thread and just been lurking. Probably because of my mild embarrassment at the team I support.

Bombers messed up my possible 9/9 starting week in my tipping.

No need to lurk, Swans started 0-6 last year and finished just fine!

Did you still win anything? 8/9 seems pretty good :)

No need to lurk, Swans started 0-6 last year and finished just fine!

Did you still win anything? 8/9 seems pretty good :)

No, didn't win anything except for bragging rights over my mates that did worse.

My embarrassment is not the result of my team, but the general play of the team and the coaching that I do not think is good enough.

I wont even mention the name of the team I support, except to say that I am happy one of our players got a week suspension, but just not happy that it is only a week!! :)