Tipping Excursion Drivers and Operators?

MaC410

We are taking a few excursions from the ship and wanted to know if there were any guidelines about tipping the tour operators and the drivers. It's a European cruise and I know that usually in Europe you don't tip but since we are going to be on Royal Caribbean I just wanted to make sure we do not get caught unaware at the end of the tour. Also was curious about tipping an European tour guide for a private tour.

Quite a few Europeans will give a small tip if the guide and driver have been helpful and friendly. Around €5, but slightly more if you want, for 2 of you. Sometimes there's a hopeful dish sitting there... :)

We found our tour guides accepted tips gracefully. We usually were in the 5 euro range for each of us for a half day and double that for a full day tour.

We're New Yorkers, so tipping is part of our city's culture.

We took a full-day bus tour in England last summer. The guide announced as we were finishing that tips for her and the driver would be happily accepted.

I'm figuring that if tips are usual and customary in the region you are touring, the tour operators will find a way to let you know.

There are NO tipping guidelines for excursions or tours. If you feel you got more from your tour than you paid for...tip what it's worth to you. Europe is not a "tipping" culture, so a little goes a long way, if you decide to tip.

Even in the states, some "tours" are merely transportation, which we've paid for...no tip needed.

You have to go by your "enjoyment factor", and decide accordingly.

• 4 weeks later...

If tour guides are telling you that you need to tip its more likely they know you are American and will tip them.

They wouldn't be telling people from the UK to tip.

If they leave a tray out for tips and you enjoyed the tour than give a tip by all means.

The price of a tour in most of Europe and the UK includes, at a minimum a living wage for their employees including drivers and tour guides.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

If tour guides are telling you that you need to tip its more likely they know you are American and will tip them.

They wouldn't be telling people from the UK to tip.

If they leave a tray out for tips and you enjoyed the tour than give a tip by all means.

The price of a tour in most of Europe and the UK includes, at a minimum a living wage for their employees including drivers and tour guides.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

:D Oh, Kerry, that made me laugh! I think that if people in the UK were openly asked to tip, the response would be "What a cheek!", and several of those who were going to drop a little something on the tray would deliberately ignore it.

And...it's what I hear so many times from UK cruisers when the ship's line tells them what to tip....

:D Oh, Kerry, that made me laugh! I think that if people in the UK were openly asked to tip, the response would be "What a cheek!", and several of those who were going to drop a little something on the tray would deliberately ignore it.

And...it's what I hear so many times from UK cruisers when the ship's line tells them what to tip....

Agree. I think that’s what many dislike about the system on cruises, you are told you must tip.

We happily tipped on both of our Med cruises. We used private drivers and guides for our group of five and the service we received was absolutely wonderful. There are so many examples I could list of how they took care of us in such an exceptional way that this post would be too long if I listed them all. I would go again with any one of them and happily tip again.