Free/Included Laundry

wcsdkqh

Just returned from 12 day Mediterranean cruise on the Explorer. The cruise and service were excellent. Since there has been so much conversation regarding the included laundry service on Mediterranean cruises this summer, I wanted to convey reality. Laundry in by 9am is back the same day. I saw no change in service level from prior cruises where laundry is not included. I sent a bag of laundry every 3 days and did not abuse the perk. First cruise that I returned home with mostly clean clothes. What a joy to come home with a couple suitcases of clean clothes.:)

As an added note, I was told by the on-board cruise consultant that several additional laundry resources had been added to maintain service level.

Glad you had a great trip, and to know Regent can handle the service with a problem.

As a big proponent of included laundry for upper suites and/or an offer of a reasonable laundry package, I am happy to hear this as well. Not surprised, and it's especially nice when people don't abuse the privilege and use it in moderation as I believe most people would. Arriving home with freshly laundered clothes is a nice way to end a luxurious vacation.

• 3 weeks later...
Currently onboard Explorer and can say laundry service has been speedy. Bag to butler last night at 5 and back this morning at 10.

It should be speedy since additional crew were hired for this special promotion.

I'm sure the post (re hiring additional crew) was intended as a "negative", but far more of us saw it (included laundry) as a "positive".

No, it was not meant as a negative. Hiring more people would insure that the level of service does not go down during this promotion.

No, it was not meant as a negative. Hiring more people would insure that the level of service does not go down during this promotion.

Since staff quarters are fixed, what crew do you suppose they offloaded in order to bring on additional laundrymen? An assistant bartender? A waiter in compass rose? A deckhand to maintain the ship?

How are you so certain they added laundrymen?

Since staff quarters are fixed, what crew do you suppose they offloaded in order to bring on additional laundrymen? An assistant bartender? A waiter in compass rose? A deckhand to maintain the ship?

Good points. You and I know how crowded the staff quarters are and there are too many times when Regent has to put staff up in revenue generating suites when they run out of room.

Is that the case that crew was added?

I don't see an answer to this question yet.

Or could it be that no crew were added. The Captain just doesn't socialize as much and spends some of that time taking care of everyone's dirty laundry? :)

As an added note, I was told by the on-board cruise consultant that several additional laundry resources had been added to maintain service level.

TC - So you took that to mean that new employees were actually hired by Regent to handle the "extra workload" for a short-term/one-time requirement?

I took it to mean that current/already available workforce members, that were already part of the ship's crew, may simply have been re-deployed, re-assigned, or were just given different work hours, as may have been necessary, to address any possible extra workload that doing the extra laundry may have caused.

Amazing how two different people can read the same sentence and take away two completely different meanings, isn't it?

Try reading post #2:rolleyes:

I did read post #2 before I wrote my post. I would not call staff or employees “resources”, certainly not in the context of the quote. A laundry machine is a resource as far as I’m concerned.

I doubt that some anonymous cruise consultant is referring to employees as resources—as in “oh, send some more resources to the dining room and to the front desk stat”.

Maybe a human resource department might like to refer to employees as resources, but I doubt even thr HR people will say something like. “We have 120 resources working for our company.”

I really don't see what the problem is, Regent had a promotion or test - however Regent handled it, people liked having the perk. Now let's see what Regent does with the information they now have on file. We'll see more promotions as needed like this or a new perk. And yes we'll be Gold on our next cruise with one free bag of laundry and we don't care if this becomes a perk for promotions or a general perk for all cruise's on Regent. Whatever works for Regent that makes cruising more enjoyable for the cruiser.

I

I doubt that some anonymous cruise consultant is referring to employees as resources—as in “oh, send some more resources to the dining room and to the front desk stat”.

Maybe a human resource department might like to refer to employees as resources, but I doubt even thr HR people will say something like. “We have 120 resources working for our company.”

I am not surprised that the cruise consultant would refer to crew members as resources as it it is likely that the term is used in management meetings. It is interesting how people tend to pick up the language that is frequently used around them. I tend to call passengers "guests" which is a term used by most Regent management, officers and crew, When posting I try to correct myself and use "passengers" but sometimes the other word slips in.

In any case, it appears that, in order to keep included laundry beyond the promotion, that they would need to keep the additional crew on permanently.

Interestingly, our transatlantic sailing from Lisbon did indicate that it was part of the promotion a couple of months ago. Last week I noticed that the promotion will end in Lisbon. Not sure why the change occurred.

That was my thought too. I don't think Regent is double bunking crew.

While I personally hope that Regent expands this experiment to include at least lower cost "laundry packages" for all, I also hope that Regent is sensitive to the situation of Platinum SS members who heave earned free laundry as one of their loyalty perks. This, I hope would be done by providing those members with additional perks of equal value. And we are not Platinum.

I did read post #2 before I wrote my post. I would not call staff or employees “resources”, certainly not in the context of the quote. A laundry machine is a resource as far as I’m concerned.

FYI -- In my line of work people/staff ARE referred to as resources. As in you have to figure out all the resources needed to do the project.....

FYI -- In my line of work people/staff ARE referred to as resources. As in you have to figure out all the resources needed to do the project.....

Same with the field I was in prior to retirement. It's a catchall for whatever you need to put toward the project to achieve the goal.

I don't refer to employees as resources, but wording differs in different parts of the country. I would say that Regent needs additional equipment and personnel to handle included laundry -- or even lower rate "package price" laundry. If somebody wants to call this "resources" it is fine with me. Indeed, on our more recent Mariner cruises, Regent needed more equipment (washers and driers) in the self-serve laundry rooms, which are large enough to accommodate it too.