Explorer v Mariner

flossie009

We have been back home over a week since our double TransAtlantic: Eastbound on Explorer and Westbound on Mariner.

So it is now time to reflect on our experiences and do some comparisons between the two ships.

We will try to be factual in our observations but, by their very nature, many of our comments will be subjective

Overall Cruise Experience

Both cruises were excellent and very relaxing. Very similar itineraries but eastbound we lost time; gaining the hours back during our westbound crossing.

In terms of service and entertainment, the Explorer crew did better for us than on Mariner. The whole team on Explorer were operating throughout like a well-oiled friendly machine whereas Mariner was a little clunky in the first few days.

For some of the Mariner crew this was probably due to fatigue following refurbishment; others were new-on-board and learning the ropes.

The Production Cast on Explorer were on a high at the end of their contracts; for the Mariner cast it was their debut.

In terms of “value-for-money” it is difficult to compare as the suites are so different on each ship.

In the UK, the webprice (exc flights) for a PHC on the Mariner cruise was about 25% below that of a PHC on Explorer. However, since Explorer had plenty of availability, there was some significant late discounting of the Explorer cruise, which brought prices close to par.

Since our TA & Regent honoured the late discounting on Explorer, through the issue of a FCC, we effectively paid 30% less for the Explorer crossing, in an F2 suite, than the Mariner crossing, in a PHC.

Inconsistencies :confused:

For what were effectively the same cruises, there were some interesting differences in approach on the two ships:

1. On Explorer, we had to carry out a mandatory second life-boat safety drill during the second week. On Mariner just the one, prior to sailing.

2. On Explorer we kept our Passports throughout the cruise. On Mariner, they were collected at check-in and only returned the day before debarkation.

3. In Madeira going eastbound we had to carry original government ID; going westbound just the ship’s keycard

4. In Bermuda going eastbound we had to carry original government ID; going westbound a photocopy would suffice.

5. In the Compass Rose on Explorer, iPads were in use by all waiters for ordering; on Mariner they were still working with pen & paper.

6. Internet on Mariner was acceptable; on Explorer it was awful.

7. On Explorer, all luggage was in our suite at the time suites were made available to guests at 14:30; on Mariner none in the suite initially, then a slow delivery during the afternoon ............ with the last case only located after sailing :eek:

8. On both ships the Spa charges are exorbitant, but why are treatment charges approx 10% more on Explorer than on Mariner? :confused:

Suites

We booked an F2 on Explorer but a PHC on Mariner, as we find the basic suites on Mariner to be a little snug.

Beds on both ships were extremely comfortable.

The F2 suite on Explorer scored for storage, both hanging and drawers. A great shame that wall cupboards and shelves were removed from the suites on Mariner during refurb.

Bathroom on Mariner is good but Explorer’s is definitely better.

The safes on both ships are now the same, large, size (The small safes on Mariner were replaced during refurb)

Mariner scores over Explorer with the extent of glazing on the outer wall and the quality of the balcony door (heavy but effective)

Balcony dividers on Explorer extend over the balcony rail, whereas on Mariner they stop short. Therefore an increase in privacy on Explorer at the expense of being able to see easily forward or aft.

The USB sockets and night-light on Explorer are added benefits.

Lounges

Mariner Lounge v Explorer Lounge: Before dinner, the Mariner Lounge is a perfect venue for drinks before dining in Compass Rose or Prime 7. After dinner then the Explorer Lounge wins.

Meridian Lounge (Explorer) v Horizon Lounge (Mariner): Mariner wins this contest with ease. The Horizon Lounge is an ideal venue for drinks before eating in Chartreuse and is a good alternative venue for entertainment & dancing. The open rear deck is superb for relaxing during the day.

Observation Lounge: Both ships have this equivalent venue.

Stars Lounge (Mariner): No equivalent on Explorer (Explorer Lounge tends to be used for similar events such as Karaoke)

Dining

Compass Rose: We prefer the Mariner layout particularly if seated towards the middle away from the noisy serving stations. We find Compass Rose on Explorer to be vast and very noisy (quietest tables being towards the rear)

[in our opinion, the best layout of Compass Rose is on Voyager]

La Veranda: Explorer has a better serving area and more outside seating

Pool Grill: No preference between ships but prefer the layout of tables & chairs on Mariner

Sette Mari: Not our favourite venue, so no preference between ships

Speciality Restaurants: Explorer has the added advantage of Pacific Rim and also the size, layout & position of Prime 7 & Chartreuse on Explorer are brilliant. Final win for Explorer is having one or more of the Speciality Restaurants available for lunch each day. However, we must say that the revamp of the Speciality restaurants on Mariner has really improved the venues.

Coffee Connection v The Café: Explorer wins with a very comfortable venue

[standard of cuisine on both ships was exemplary, with just some minor fails which were quickly corrected on both Mariner & Explorer]

Edited by flossie009

This is a most helpful review and very pertinent for me.

In another thread you wrote about a post by the bed in PHC. Did you have that in your suite? If so, did it bother you? Or did you like it? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I have to agree that the lack of outside seating behind the Horizon lounge is bad as that's my favorite place to hang out! Had I known that, I may not have booked.

Thanks for your reviews of both ships.

Hi Susan & David, welcome home.

First thanks for your terrific on board postings from your "double" back to back first time I've read about this type of b2b crossing.

Next, superb Mariner vis-a-vis Explorer comparison posts with outstanding photos. Thank you for taking the time.

Edited by Host Dan

Paula, bissel, Wes

Thanks for your kind words. Glad that our blogs have been useful.

Wes, you should try Explorer as it is a good ship with many excellent features.

However, there were also some very odd and sometimes incomprehensible decisions taken during the design & specification stage that we are sure some at NCLH/Regent regret, especially if the features end up being carried through to Splendor (awful name)

bissel, yes we did have a suite with a structural post next to the bed. We prefer a PH suite without the post but it is not always easy to juggle availability and other criteria.

David caught his elbow a couple of times but, like Pavlov's Dog, he learnt quickly ;p

............... so, on with the comparisons:

Theatre

Without doubt, Mariner wins this contest. We both sat in the almost perfect ship’s theatre on Mariner and thought “How could the Explorer designers have got things so very wrong?

Reception / Atrium

Nothing compares to the impact of this beautiful and practical area on Explorer

Elevators & Stairs

Both forward and aft are better on Mariner, with wider staircases & larger elevators servicing all floors.

Pool Deck

We prefer the layout on Mariner to that on Explorer

Sports Deck

Similar facilities on both ships, but Mariner scores by having a forward viewing area

Other areas

Explorer has the added advantage of the Culinary Kitchen, which is good fun.

The Library, Computer Room and Connoisseurs Club seem better placed on Mariner than on Explorer.

Infinity Pool on Explorer is very nice but underused (especially on sea days, unless the sea is dead calm)

Edited by flossie009

We too are booked apparently with that post on the Mariner ( and an F on the Explorer) and I understand that other considerations play a part in which suite gets booked. But I'm glad that it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker.

Your posts are always informative and enjoyable!

Conclusions

We like both Mariner and Explorer (together with Voyager) so our future decisions will be based on itinerary and our “calculation” of value for money.

Unlike some, we do not find Explorer too glitzy. It is certainly very spacious but we sometimes question the best use of the space e.g. the long entrances to the Spa and Pacific Rim, which could be put to better use.

Decoration and 'Art' on both ships is very elegant. The photographs lining the passenger corridors on Explorer are an excellent choice.

Some of the design faults on Explorer are very annoying and it will be interesting to see how well Regent, together with their Designers & Shipbuilders, manage to correct the various issues during the build of Splendor.

The refurbishment of Mariner was generally very positive but, as with the other ships, it was a retrograde step to dispense with some of the in-suite storage. Apart from that the overall feel of Mariner is now light and modern.

Now we have a long wait till our next Regent cruise, Panama Canal on Mariner in September ................. followed by Lisbon-Cape Town on Explorer in November.

Edited by flossie009

Hi Susan & David, welcome home.

First thanks for your terrific on board postings from your "double" back to back first time I've read about this type of b2b crossing.

This double TA was only possible because Mariner was relocated to Europe for its refurbishment and then had to return to North America for the summer season in Alaska.

When we saw the coincidence of dates we couldn't resist :cool: . We were not disappointed, albeit it would have been more convenient if we lived in Florida.

Nice review - thank you. As you are probably aware, the areas by the Spa and Pacific Rim will be changed on Splendor (and, of course, so will the theater).

Good to know that the mini safes were replaced during refurbishment. It is a shame that the bathrooms, closets, etc. could not be made larger as this is a major reason why we aren't a big fan of Mariner. Even the Grand Suite on Mariner does not have spacious bathrooms (compared to Explorer).

As with everything - things are subjective. We love the lounges on Explorer and dislike the Mariner Lounge find that Stars Lounge on Mariner is vacant most of the time (it would be different on transatlantic cruises). We find the seats are way too low and uncomfortable in the Mariner Lounge and the space is too open for us. Did they change out the chairs or were they reupholstered?

We find Voyager a good alternative to Mariner with the larger suites, open area in CR (no walls blocking the view), etc. However, each of us has their own favorites and it was good to read what you like and dislike about both ships

Nice review - thank you. As you are probably aware, the areas by the Spa and Pacific Rim will be changed on Splendor (and, of course, so will the theater).

Thanks for your positive comments.

No I wasn't aware that changes to the Theatre, Spa & Pacific Rim had been confirmed. Very good to know.

Are there any mock-ups, visualisations or plans available; the deck plans for Splendor available on line look similar in layout to Explorer.

What about "The Study" between the two Speciality Restaurants on deck 10? Will this remain as a further private dining room for those booking the Regent Suite?

Thanks for your positive comments.

No I wasn't aware that changes to the Theatre, Spa & Pacific Rim had been confirmed. Very good to know.

Are there any mock-ups, visualisations or plans available; the deck plans for Splendor available on line look similar in layout to Explorer.

What about "The Study" between the two Speciality Restaurants on deck 10? Will this remain as a further private dining room for those booking the Regent Suite?

According to the deck plans for Splendor https://www.rssc.com/ships/seven_seas_splendor "The Study" is still there. The deck plan also shows Pacific Rim near the Spa on deck 5. Most of what I've heard about Splendor is word of mouth (thankfully a good source). The change to the stairway leading down (or up I guess) from Compass Rose is interesting to me. On Explorer it wound around and you ended up facing the theater. On Splendor, the stairs lead you towards Compass Rose (not a big deal but one of the first changes that I heard about).

In terms of the theater, it will be done by a different contractor/company which we will all be happy about. I don't think that anyone was more disappointed by the theater on Explorer than Regent.

Fossie009, what a great post about the ships. Naturally I don't agree on a few things, but that's a good thing as everyone has an opinion. But I most likely agree 95% of what you say and you write it up much better then I can. Glad you had a great trip and I loved your post during your trip. We're on the Mariner now, have another booked on her and we have one booked on The Splendor.

Fossie009, what a great post about the ships. Naturally I don't agree on a few things, but that's a good thing as everyone has an opinion. But I most likely agree 95% of what you say and you write it up much better then I can. Glad you had a great trip and I loved your post during your trip. We're on the Mariner now, have another booked on her and we have one booked on The Splendor.

Thanks, Ron & Rick

We are following your blog and Zqueeze with great interest as our next Regent cruise is on Mariner from SF to Miami through the Panama Canal in September.

Keep up the great information and glad you are enjoying your cruise on Mariner :cool:

Susan, enjoyed your onboard posts and your Mariner Explorer comparison. Agree with your points regarding Mariner's design advantages; however, you left one off - Mariner Observation Lounge has side doors for easy access to weather deck for photographs. This, to me, is primary reason Mariner is better than Voyager. As to Explorer having NO forward looking outside spaces that is a serious design flaw that is apparently going to be continued on Splendor.

We did sail 24 nights on Explorer and had one more booked; decided to cancel and try one trip on Splendour instead. I will stay with Mariner and Voyager (or Silversea Expedition ships) as long as they remain in the fleet.

Again, thanks for your wonderful reviews and humour.

Marc

Conclusions

We like both Mariner and Explorer (together with Voyager) so our future decisions will be based on itinerary and our “calculation” of value for money.

Unlike some, we do not find Explorer too glitzy. It is certainly very spacious but we sometimes question the best use of the space e.g. the long entrances to the Spa and Pacific Rim, which could be put to better use.

Decoration and 'Art' on both ships is very elegant. The photographs lining the passenger corridors on Explorer are an excellent choice.

Some of the design faults on Explorer are very annoying and it will be interesting to see how well Regent, together with their Designers & Shipbuilders, manage to correct the various issues during the build of Splendor.

The refurbishment of Mariner was generally very positive but, as with the other ships, it was a retrograde step to dispense with some of the in-suite storage. Apart from that the overall feel of Mariner is now light and modern.

Now we have a long wait till our next Regent cruise, Panama Canal on Mariner in September ................. followed by Lisbon-Cape Town on Explorer in November.

Thank you for your, as always, fair and balanced review. We are also on the Explorer Lisbon - Cape Town cruise this November. Maybe our paths will cross. I always enjoy reading your posts.