Shore Excursions Capetown to Capetown December 2018

upgrayders

You taking one of our favorite cruises. I did check out a few ports and there are less excursions offered than we were there a couple of years ago,

When we were in Port Elizabeth, we took an expensive but one of the best excursions ever - riding an African elephant. I do not see that excursion but would probably do the 4x4 excursion if riding the elephants was to offered

In Walvis bay, we have done the the Dolphin and Seal cruise twice - love the food that is offered on the boat. We also liked the Swakomund (likely misspelled) Township tour however my recommendation comes with a warning. These are areas where the people have very little but are happy to share with guests. The food tasting was interesting - even if they had fried worms (did take a teensy taste). What bothered me the first time we took this excursion was the obvious dislike of the surroundings and the food by passengers. So, if you can't take it, don't do the excursion. But, for us, we loved it.

Have you checked with Regent to learn if they will be offering more excursions?

Upgrayders, we are also booked on this cruise. Agree that there are many more excursions displayed when looking at this cruise on the general web site vs. what are actually available for booking. Very disappointing in a couple of ports where there should have been some day long safari choices available.

I will check with my TA when she is back next week but honestly don’t think we should have to do that at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Regent but it seems that one has to do more personal follow up for things to be ‘right’ as time goes by. And yes I know TA’s should be on top of these things but I don’t think that they would be aware of the actual booking options unless a client provided that info.

We will enjoy the trip regardless as Capetown and SA are definitely our favourite destinations in the world, well so far anyway....

Pat and Marg

Edited by golfgirls

Greetings, Pat and Marge from Deb and Eric

We too are following up on the offerings for shore excursions that do not seem to be there. We are specifically concerned that there are no shore excursions offered on Dec 26 in Walvis Bay nor any mentiond of the World Cruise Dinner in Richards Bay on Jan 3. In addition, there is no tour available on Dec 29 at any game reserves (Pumba or Kariega). But we are following up with our TA and directly called Regent. Both TA and Regent agree (i believe) that more tours will be offered. I just do not want to be locked out of any offerings when they becomre available.

We are looking forward to this trip.

We are also booked on this cruise. On the first day when the excursions were available to book I tried to book several that said they were "sold out". I contacted someone at Regent who said that the reason is that Regent has not yet confirmed the tours with the tour operators. We are wait-listed in the first 4 ports. Hope to get them confirmed. For those of you posting here who are on this sailing, have you all signed up for the Meet and Mingle? There is a link at the top of the page to sign up.

We are also booked on this cruise. On the first day when the excursions were available to book I tried to book several that said they were "sold out". I contacted someone at Regent who said that the reason is that Regent has not yet confirmed the tours with the tour operators. We are wait-listed in the first 4 ports. Hope to get them confirmed. For those of you posting here who are on this sailing, have you all signed up for the Meet and Mingle? There is a link at the top of the page to sign up.

Greetings, We did sign up for the meet and mingle. Thank you.

I have been trying to book tours in first four ports and all sold out? Will they put more tours on?? Thanks karen

Same problem here. Spoke to someone at Regent yesterday. He wrote:

The tour department will not be able to give an answer yet as they need to reach out to the tour operators. This can take a while. I have known shore excursions to clear just the week before sailing.

Actually, shore excursion waitlists can clear while you are onboard the ship. There is no exact timeline on this. It sounds as if there are negotiations going on with tour operators -- and, unfortunately, Regent Customer Service would know little about this. If this is the case, they excursions will suddenly show up and you can book them so keep checking.

Fortunately for me, my wife is just anal enough that she went to bed in another room and set her alarm for 11:45 p.m. (we live in Florida) and got online exactly at 12:00 on the day Regent posted, and was able to book both ours, as well as our friends excursions. She subsequently decided to make a change, and was able to do so. We were very disappointed at the few choices, and I contacted Regent Guest Services, who responded with a "sorry, but nothing we can do"; my wife then called about the fact that everything was already booked (including one that we couldn't even get on the wait list!) and was told that at this point they don't intend to add anymore excursions, but will probably expand the # of people who will be able to get on an excursion. The dilemma is that so many of us travel Regent with frequency and thus either have Seven Seas or type of room priorities, and know how quickly excursions fill up, yet we'd still rather travel Regent than any of the other many cruise lines we've been on. It is disappointing as well that since NCL purchased the line along with Oceania that while they're apparently trying to bring them up to Regent standards, they seem to be downgrading Regent.

When we did this cruise in 2015, shore excursions was not up to usual standards. I guess it’s still the same for CPT. I suggest you waitlist and keep watching the excursion list. They kept adding excursions all the time. By the time we left, we had all our excursions.

BTW- after all that hassle, we never were able to get to Richards Bay, which had the most important excursion we wanted.

A bit frustrated as the shore excursion offerings have not been updated as yet. It seems that some ports are not offering the trips (yet) that were presented on the the website. Any insights?

I am a little late to this party, but we were just in SAfrica on the WC, they added excursions as late as leaving Singapore for SA and the ship was full. By the time we got to with in a day or so of the port most every tour had a little space...even the day safaris. I know because we changed some things around at the last minute.

The 4x4 to the Namib Desert was fabulous, sundowners over Cape Town is not to be missed....great food and drink not to mention the view and tea at Mt Nelson. The trip out to Tala in Durban was very good, lots of animals, even for us having been on many private safaris.

Look at the SA, Namibia posts on our blog for a report on the tours we did.

www.2018worldcruise.blogspot.com

Quick background: We did a version of this cruise on Mariner in December, 2015. It was Cape Town to Rio. Early to Cape Town for a few days on our own at the Victoria and Albert Hotel (as recommended by our TA); then to Regent's hotel; then on a three-day safari to Camp Figtree, outside Port Elizabeth. Marvelous experience at Addo National Elephant Park and Reserve.

The following is a bit-off thread, as it relates an excursion at Cape Town itself. Actually, to Robben Island, a short (45-minute) boat ride from Cape Town's harbor area. Highly recommend spending the time to visit the former complex where Nelson Mandela spent 18 of his 23 years as a prisoner during the Apartheid era. Hopefully, your itinerary will allow booking this tour, which we took the morning of our second day aboard.

As I recall, Mariner remained at harbor for the first day, to allow folks arriving from all parts of the world to board.

As others have opined--Cape Town is not the easiest place to get to. But, it is worth the effort. Anyway, worth your while to visit the Island. Your Guide will be a former prisoner. So, he has been there; and done that.

GOARMY!

I am a little late to this party, but we were just in SAfrica on the WC, they added excursions as late as leaving Singapore for SA and the ship was full. By the time we got to with in a day or so of the port most every tour had a little space...even the day safaris. I know because we changed some things around at the last minute.

The 4x4 to the Namib Desert was fabulous, sundowners over Cape Town is not to be missed....great food and drink not to mention the view and tea at Mt Nelson. The trip out to Tala in Durban was very good, lots of animals, even for us having been on many private safaris.

Look at the SA, Namibia posts on our blog for a report on the tours we did.

www.2018worldcruise.blogspot.com

i look forward to seeing the posts on SA...what date or month will i find the posts?

We were in South Africa/Namibia April 3 -Richard Bay through April 12 Walvis Bay.

Go to archives and look for those dates. The location is in the date title. Click on the date you want to read.

We visited Richards Bay, Durban, East London, Cape Town- 2 days, Luderitz, and Walvis Bay -2 days.

Wonderful ports, have fun!

We are on the back-to-back from Cape Town to Cape Town and then Cape Town to Rio. Does anyone know what excursions Regent has offered in the past on the transition day in Cape Town?

Don't know but if we were in Cape Town (again), we would do our own thing as there is so much to do or see right near the port and likely would be more interesting than being on a bus.

On the transition day on the world cruise, they offered Table Mountain, Robben Island, Cape of Good Hope and one other, I believe. It will depend on the number of people doing the B2B. The V&A waterfront is a short walk from the dock.

Sent from my iPad using Forums