Fans

TyGrimmett

When we cruise, we’re going to have an inside cabin. I like white noise, and I like air. Would I be allowed to bring a small fan on the ship with us? I know, I’m ridiculous.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always bring my 5 inch electric desk fan. Don't care about "noise", but I NEED airflow on me at night. I also bring an extension cord without surge protection so the fan can be near my bed. I must have airflow to sleep at all. Battery fans are heavy and the batteries won't last for an entire week, if run all night long.

I think it might depend on the cruise line - I've read some do allow and some ships also have a limited supply for use. Check your cruise contract for prohibited items and if it is not expressly listed you should be ok. I wouldn't take anything you wouldn't be ok if you lost though just in case.

My wife has a batterey/plug in operated background sound machine that she brings. There are about 6 different sounds that it can be set to make. Volume from barely noticeable to quite loud

I always bring my 5 inch electric desk fan. Don't care about "noise", but I NEED airflow on me at night. I also bring an extension cord without surge protection so the fan can be near my bed. I must have airflow to sleep at all. Battery fans are heavy and the batteries won't last for an entire week, if run all night long.

Do you bring in your carry on or packed in your luggage? I, too need the air flow from a fan to sleep.

Thank you!

We have been on, I think 22 cruises and have packed two small electric fans every time with no problem. They are the small, I think 4 inch ones that wal mart sells for like 10 bucks. I pack three extension cords with three outlets each and no surge protectors. Just the simple brown ones. I start at the desk outlet with a short one with three outlets. Plug in a longer one with three outlets to get to the nearest nightstand. Then the third one with three outlets goes under the bed to the other nightstand. I can plug in a fan and phone charger at each night stand and two iPad chargers on the desk. I make sure the cord from the desk to the first nightstand stays close the wall and isn’t a trip hazard. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to set up for the entire trip and works great. I’ve never had any problem from ship personnel either in the bag or room.

I like the white noise too. And sometimes cabins can be warm, so the airflow is nice.

Carnival allows fans, electric & battery. Just make sure it’s in good shape. If they deem it a hazard, it’ll be confiscated. I take my 8” portable fan along with a 10 ft. extension cord so I can set it right by the bed. The long cord also lets my wife put the fan in the bathroom to air it out while she gets ready if it’s steamed up (not all Carnival ships have outlets in there).

Refer to the cruise line’s prohibited/allowed list and, if they allow fans, it doesn’t hurt to print that page out just in case. Sometimes overzealous terminal employees aren’t fully aware of everything that is allowed. That’s why I will always carry my fan in my carry on. If it’s with me when I go through scanning, and they take issue with it, I can show them it’s allowed, or at least plead my case. If it gets confiscated from checked luggage, I won’t know it until I get the letter in our cabin. Carnival also usually has a limited number of loaner fans at Guest Services (first come, first serve).

They have a portable fan that has battery as well as plug in that has the micro port which is what most everyone uses for their phones. Got mine through Amazon for$14 but I'm sure they can be bought elsewhere too. Great little fan that always cruises with me. Carry it with my electronics.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a huge hassle on Celebrity Eclipse about our small electric fan. It was considered “contraband”. We boarded the ship about 11:00am but the ship held our bag until 8:00pm. They took our fan. After their electricians checked it out they gave it back to us. It is NOT on their contraband list but it is their policy to not allow fans. BE CAREFUL

Sent from my iPhone using Forums