Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:19 AM.
Sweden
22 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Well, we've given up. We will never get back the suitcase with all our things, it's extra hard from another continent.
DHL and other shipping companies can not transport the suitcase to Stockholm without paperwork on site with customs clearance and shipping notes. Our insurance company will replace at least some of the economic value.
Why SAS was involved I do not know. They might be contacted by LA airport to give us information.
The lady who took the bag flew with Air France from Barcelona to LA. She took our suitcase despite the red band around the bag and left a similar one in Barcelona.
Of course, we had current medication in the hand luggage and only reserve medicine in the suitcase. Otherwise, we lose travel memories, glasses and exclusive clothes and shoes.
1,754 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by ORV
There seems to be a major assumption in this post and many that follow that the lady that mistakenly took the bag flew on SAS from BCN to LAX.

Would someone coming from BCN necessarily be on SAS to go to LAX?
Travelocity is showing only one non-stop flight from BCN to LAX. It is listed as an Iberian Air flight, another of the One World Alliance partner airlines that includes SAS. However, a search using keywords "SAS flights" and BCN to LAX lists an SAS flight. I'm guessing they are all code-shared.
Point Richmond CA
7,125 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Okay - the key here is Air France, which (without their knowledge) transported stolen property. I would concentrate all my efforts now with Air France who should now have physical possession of your property.
There's another long shot here, which is to contact the LAPD (or equivalent) airport police if for no other reason than to assist in some way(?)
I would not give up on this puzzle if I was you.
England
1,854 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
How about emailing the Swedish consul in LA, asking very nicely for their assistance? It would depend on the recipient being a nice, helpful sort of person!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
USA
2,413 Posts
Joined Feb 2013
Before continuing, please get your facts correct. SAS is a founding partner in The Star Alliance with United Airlines, Lufthansa, Swiss, etc. They are not part of Oneworld with AA and BA!
Vancouver, BC
19,138 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Could you not just sacrifice the suitcase at this point and have the person who took your suitcase box up your possessions and mail them to you?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming next
September 2018...Crete & London land trip
October 2019...Celebrity Reflection Iberian Peninsular
2020...Planning the great retirement trip

Kauai Land Trip 2018/Queensland, Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Solstice Vancouver to Honolulu - Crete Land Trip 2017/Australia Land Trip - Celebrity Constellation - Greek Isles 2016/Hawaii Land Trip 2015/Christmas and New Years in Hawaii/European Christmas Markets - Land Trip/Hawaii - VCR Celebrity Solstice 2014/Paris Land Trip/Hawaii Land Trip X 2 - 2013/Grand Med. - Ruby Princess/South of France 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip 2012/Hawaii - Land Trip - 2011/Panama Canal and Florida Keys - Coral Princess - 2011/Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - 2010/France 3 Week Land Trip - Burgundy/Loire/Normandy/French Riviera/Provence 2010/Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess 2009/Coastal - Sapphire Princess 2009/Alaska - Voyage of the Glaciers - Zuiderdam - 2009/Greek Islands cruise + Monaco and Paris by land - Grand Princess - 2008/Land Trip - Maui - 2008/3 Week Land - Paris to Rome - 2007/Hawaii - Pride of America - 2007/14 Day Caribbean - Sea Princess - 2006/Coastal - Dawn Princess - 2006/Barcelona to Venice - Millennium - 2005/UK & Ireland - Land Trip - 2004/AI Mexican Riviera -2003/Coastal - Island Princess - 2002/Maui - Land Trip x 2/Alaska - Dawn Princess - 2001/UK Land Trip x 3/11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas - 2000/Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas - 1999/2 Week Land Bermuda - Girls Trip - 1997/Married - Maui - 1997
GTA, Ontario, Canada
37,655 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Pelle
Well, we've given up. We will never get back the suitcase with all our things, it's extra hard from another continent.
DHL and other shipping companies can not transport the suitcase to Stockholm without paperwork on site with customs clearance and shipping notes. Our insurance company will replace at least some of the economic value.
Why SAS was involved I do not know. They might be contacted by LA airport to give us information.
The lady who took the bag flew with Air France from Barcelona to LA. She took our suitcase despite the red band around the bag and left a similar one in Barcelona.
Did you contact lost luggage at LAX?
I would not give up just yet

Maybe there is a way it could be sent to you

even at a fee

You were the one that mentioned SAS

<<Today we were informed by SAS in Copenhagen that the suitcase can not be sent to Stockholm without accompanying passenger. >>
GTA, Ontario, Canada
37,655 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Pet Nit Noy
What should have happened at that point is the SAS employees should have checked out the suitcase for any clues about the real ownership. Presumably, there is a private name tag on the bag and there may even be an itinerary with name and address packed inside the suitcase itself..
there must have been some I.D. on the bag as the woman who took it contacted the OP to say it was at LAX

Not sure why she could not offer to pay to have it shipped back ...TSA could inspect it at that point although it just came off a flight & probably did not make it out of baggage claim

In any case I hope the woman who took it is reading this thread to see what distress she has caused the OP
Toronto
1,686 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Not that is a concern to the Op but I wonder what happens to the luggage left in the port. Seems O has no responsibility. Based on what the Op has been told about getting her bag, it also seems since it was not the airlines issue there would be no way for the person in LA to get her bag back without going to Barcelona to pick it up.

If the Op can find out if the proper bag made it to LA, that may give a solution to get her bag back.
Port Saint Lucie - FL
2,719 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by Pelle
Of course, we had current medication in the hand luggage and only reserve medicine in the suitcase. Otherwise, we lose travel memories, glasses and exclusive clothes and shoes.

Suggestion to OP -- contact a third party transport luggage company like Luggage Forward. They might be able to help.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

So California
6,184 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by LHT28
people should check they have THEIR bags before leaving the terminal
Some people pick up a bag that might look like theirs but never check the luggage tag
We had that happen at FLL someone took our bag ..we wasted 30 mins looking for it then DH noticed some guy slip a bag under the roped off area ..it was our bag

The woman who stole the bag is responsible for returning it to you
it was her fault that you are without your bag

JMO
contact Lost luggage & make arrangement to have it sent to your address hopefully on the bag then send the bill to the thief

Since she , the thief, ( and yes she was a thief) is a us resident and you know her details I would press charges and contact both the police in your and her town of residence as well as retain a good lawyer and ask for damages.... There is no excuse for her and dumping the bag in LAX is totally a cop-out. She has not taken responsibility and is acting as a criminal .

Again press charges for felony theft because she transported it to LAX and dumped it in the USA to avoid being arrested in possession of stolen property,
If it was over $1000 in value that is a felony and she needs to be charged as a felon. She had the option of taking responsibility but opted to dump the evidence of her crime to avoid being arrested.... She had no interest in returning it to you only making things right.
Stamford, Connecticut
3,693 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Originally posted by Hawaiidan
Since she , the thief, ( and yes she was a thief) is a us resident and you know her details I would press charges and contact both the police in your and her town of residence as well as retain a good lawyer and ask for damages.... There is no excuse for her and dumping the bag in LAX is totally a cop-out. She has not taken responsibility and is acting as a criminal .

Again press charges for felony theft because she transported it to LAX and dumped it in the USA to avoid being arrested in possession of stolen property,
If it was over $1000 in value that is a felony and she needs to be charged as a felon. She had the option of taking responsibility but opted to dump the evidence of her crime to avoid being arrested.... She had no interest in returning it to you only making things right.
plus 1 and beautifully stated.
It is time that somebody looked at the person who is at fault.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Contact Stan & Jim here
Brooklyn, New York USA
557 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by Hawaiidan

You are so right. We tend to give "older" folks a pass and label them forgetful, slight dementia. etc. Maybe, but it ain't always true.

An older woman tried to steal my boarding pass while I was talking to two other woman. She at first began subtlety stroking my suede jacket draped across my carryon. (maybe she needed some tactile stimulation, so I thought). She then began easing out my boarding pass that I had folded the two lapels over. I stopped her and said nicely, "that's not yours, what are you doing,? She mumbled something about not having her ticket and then moved to another bank of seats and sat down next to an older gentleman.. The woman I was talking to chuckled that chuckled when you think someone is possible senile.

Getting off the plane, the older man took someone else's carryon ...the owner loudly shouted excuse me as he squeezed though the people cued up to deplane running after the couple. Young thieves ...become old thieves. Older doesn't mean cute, nice and honest.

Ramona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I'll Give You a Hint ...Think Beverly Cleary
Brooklyn, New York USA
8,123 Posts
Joined Aug 2000
Sure, there are thieves out there. Of all ages. But I do think it's going a bit too far to ASSUME that this person was a thief. If she were, she wouldn't have contacted the proper owner, would she??? And where is HER luggage?

I agree that we should all check the luggage tags on what we think is OUR luggage. It has been at least 30 years since anyone asked me (when I was leaving an airport or a cruise port) to prove that the luggage was mine. We have pretty common looking luggage, with only a few personal identifiers, so we always check the tags to make sure. Everyone should do so.

I'm just not as eager to call this woman a thief as some of the rest of you are.

I also agree that since she caused the error, she should have done what she could to get the luggage returned to the owner ... that is, MORE than just telling them what had happened.

Hope this never happens to me ...

We usually leave the ship as late as possible so there isn't much luggage left at that time ... and so far all of our luggage has still been there! But we're going to have to leave the ship very early in Venice on May 25th in order to get to the airport, and so we will have LOTS of luggage to search through ... Wish us luck.

And that we don't take someone else's suitcase destined for Moscow when we're going to NYC.

Mura
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send Mura a message:

Brooklyn, New York USA
557 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Originally posted by Mura
Sure, there are thieves out there. Of all ages. But I do think it's going a bit too far to ASSUME that this person was a thief. If she were, she wouldn't have contacted the proper owner, would she??? And where is HER luggage?

I agree that we should all check the luggage tags on what we think is OUR luggage. It has been at least 30 years since anyone asked me (when I was leaving an airport or a cruise port) to prove that the luggage was mine. We have pretty common looking luggage, with only a few personal identifiers, so we always check the tags to make sure. Everyone should do so.

I'm just not as eager to call this woman a thief as some of the rest of you are.

I also agree that since she caused the error, she should have done what she could to get the luggage returned to the owner ... that is, MORE than just telling them what had happened.

We usually leave the ship as late as possible so there isn't much luggage left at that time ... and so far all of our luggage has still been there! But we're going to have to leave the ship very early in Venice on May 25th in order to get to the airport, and so we will have LOTS of luggage to search through ... Wish us luck.

And that we don't take someone else's suitcase destined for Moscow when we're going to NYC.

Mura

You're assuming that she didn't have her own luggage. Whose to say she didn't have her own plus someone else's? I also believe the word "thief" was used because the only thing she did was to contact the owner, she didn't do anything to get the luggage back to the owner. She needed to contact the cruise line and the airline she flew into. Because of that the owners luggage is being looked at as abandoned.

Ramona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
USA
3,288 Posts
Joined Aug 2013
Originally posted by Mura

Mura
First, we also try to get off as late as possible, and relax that final morning, as best we can.
... which means... there was more time for someone else to grab one of our bags (in error or otherwise), and it would be way too late by the time we wandered down there and found... "not our bag".
That's one reason why one of the high contrast ID features is on the *handle*. It looks "different", and it also feels "different".
And there are also several pieces of high contrast tape on each bag.

I agree that it isn't clear this person was a "thief".
If "stealing" was the intended goal, then why in the world did she go to the trouble of calling the rightful owner?
Why not take the bag home, rifle through it at one's leisure, and also keep the suitcase? And say nothing about it, unless perhaps to brag about the catch with one's cronies...
Leaving the bag and calling the owner doesn't match up with what a thief would do, or it doesn't seem like it to me.

GC
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
GeezerCouple

contact us at:

GeezerCouple [at] yahoo [dot] com
Brooklyn, New York USA
557 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
Why didn't the woman do everything should could to get the suitcase back to the people who owned it. Telling me that you did something but not rectifying what you did is ..well useless. We need to be responsible and fix our messes. Informing and fixing are two different things.

Ramona

Ramona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Virginia
159 Posts
Joined May 2017
Just seeing this story, but expect the woman who took the OP's bag by mistake is probably experiencing her own set of frustrations & issues trying to get her own bag back from the other side of the world, while at the same time feeling horrible about her mistake and what it means to the OP and whether she is really losing it and isn't going to be safe to travel again.....

SO -- why not give this woman a chance to redeem herself and feel a little bit better about it all??!!!

Totally agree with the earlier post :

"Could you not just sacrifice the suitcase at this point and have the person who took your suitcase box up your possessions and mail them to you?"

OP, you could ask her to go back to the airport in LA and package up the things you want and send them to you! What do you have to lose by asking her?
Stamford, CT, USA
6,429 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Seems to me that the perpetrator, whether confused or not, showed her true colors when she decided NOT to offer help in the first place.
Aside from that, I doubt very strongly that the authorities would give the suitcase back to her after she turned it in as "not hers".
Offering solutions is one of the finest aspects of Cruise Critic, but they need to be based in reality.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim & Stan

Contact Jim & Stan
Brooklyn, New York USA
557 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
I'm going to go back several years when my now 40 year old son was 16 and involved heavily in musical theater/theater in a Theater ensemble and in High School, LaGuardia High School for The Arts and Performing Arts. The Theater Company he was involved he committed 100% and helped with load-in, set painting, strike and load-out ever since he was 10 yrs old. He gained a great work ethic being involved with theater.

One day coming home from the theater helping out, one hour subway ride, someone pulled out a gun and demanded his money ...Between the time of the "attempted" stick-up and a couple of seconds of regret, the man (not a young man) had a moment of regret, or for me, an angel of protection stepped in, the man apologized and gave him back his $5.00. Now tell me, with the interaction between the gunman and my son ...because of the final outcome was this a "crime." I already know what I think ...for those who don't think this was stealing because of her contact with the owner, how do you read what I still call a crime.

Did it impact my son, yes!. Very much so ...he left something he loved ...join the Marines, specifically the infantry so he could learn how to fight. Although he benefits from both his theater and military experience ...he is a gun owner (not saying anything against responsible gun ownership).

By the way two people you may know who were in the same Theater Company as he was ...Jordan Peele (Get Out; Keagan & Peele) and Kerry Washington (Scandal)

Ramona

Ramona
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature