Beverage Package Question

ksmaxey

So we have received the Signature Beverage Package (SPB ) as part of our fare and were successful in upgrading to the Elite Beverage Package for the difference in price (11.50 per day). We have found the SPB to be lacking in wine we enjoy.

So . . .

Has anyone purchased the SBP prior to their cruise and then successfully upgraded to EBP onboard for 11.50 per person per day? The SBP is 5.75 per day per person less expensive if booked before the cruise. Just trying to save a little $ and then not having to worry about on board beverage spending.

The EBP is probably not worth it without the discount and would likely purchase some beverage cards and a wine package with our 25% discount but often the DW prefers white wine with dinner and I prefer red so the EBP allow us the option to enjoy what each of us prefers without having multiple bottles of wine open and more choice.

Thanks in advance

So we have received the Signature Beverage Package (SPB ) as part of our fare and were successful in upgrading to the Elite Beverage Package for the difference in price (11.50 per day). We have found the SPB to be lacking in wine we enjoy.

So . . .

Has anyone purchased the SBP prior to their cruise and then successfully upgraded to EBP onboard for 11.50 per person per day? The SBP is 5.75 per day per person less expensive if booked before the cruise. Just trying to save a little $ and then not having to worry about on board beverage spending.

The EBP is probably not worth it without the discount and would likely purchase some beverage cards and a wine package with our 25% discount but often the DW prefers white wine with dinner and I prefer red so the EBP allow us the option to enjoy what each of us prefers without having multiple bottles of wine open and more choice.

Thanks in advance

We did this upgrade last year and found it excellent value. Once you have had 2 or 3 of the drinks normally out of the SBP price range it has paid for itself. The Whisky selection on the Koningsdam had a lot of choices at the level of the EBP.

I am bumping my thread. I have never posted and not experienced multiple responses:

Have you ever purchased the SBP (signature beverage package) prior to the cruise to get the $5. per day discount and then upgraded to the Elite Beverage package once on board?

Trying one last time. Has anyone purchased the SBP online pre-cruise and then upgraded onboard to the Elite Beverage Package and then saved the $5 per day?

(The SBP is $5 per day cheaper if bought before boarding but there is no discount on the EBP)

Note... the SBP purchased online, before your cruise is $44.95 a day and if purchased onboard, it is $49.95 per day. Both prices are plus 15% service charge. It is erroneously being referred as a "discount" if purchased in advance. Up to January 2017, the SBP was $44.95 per day no matter when you purchased it, online or onboard. After Jan 2017, HAL added a $5 penalty for purchasing onboard. HAL doesn't want you to use your HAL OBC to purchase the package, they want you to use your cash to buy it online. They would rather you use your OBC for things that have a greater markup, like shore excursions and Spa treatments.

The EBP, at $54.95 per day costs the same (right now) if purchased online or onboard.

The SBP is still a good deal for us, especially with longer cruises with lots of sea days. The break-even point is 5 or 6 drinks costing $7.50 plus 15%. After that, you are drinking free.

Note... the SBP purchased online, before your cruise is $44.95 a day and if purchased onboard, it is $49.95 per day. Both prices are plus 15% service charge. It is erroneously being referred as a "discount" if purchased in advance. Up to January 2017, the SBP was $44.95 per day no matter when you purchased it, online or onboard. After Jan 2017, HAL added a $5 penalty for purchasing onboard. HAL doesn't want you to use your HAL OBC to purchase the package, they want you to use your cash to buy it online. They would rather you use your OBC for things that have a greater markup, like shore excursions and Spa treatments.

The EBP, at $54.95 per day costs the same (right now) if purchased online or onboard.

The SBP is still a good deal for us, especially with longer cruises with lots of sea days. The break-even point is 5 or 6 drinks costing $7.50 plus 15%. After that, you are drinking free.

OK, but would you still think it is a good deal for an 89-day Grand Voyage? And, next question for anyone who has taken such a voyage, can you opt to buy the SBP on one leg of the voyage and not on another? I am having difficulty thinking that over 89 days will we actually average 5 or 6 drinks. Probably not on tour days.

Also, am I correct in assuming that there is no discount on the SBP for full voyagers?

On very long cruises, over 30-35 days and up, we tend to get back into our normal lifestyle that we do at home, (a beer or two or a glass of wine at dinner). When you are on a short cruise, under 30 days, (short for us) it's party time, the captain is driving and I want to enjoy myself. On much longer cruises, I do not purchase the SBP because it does not work out financially as well as it does on shorter cruises. On cruises under 30 days, we usually end up hundreds of $$$ ahead with the SBP. I have never seen a discount for very long cruises, like world cruise segments or grand voyages.

I think it's crazy that it limits you to 15 a day. That is not much at all. I am always thirsty so drink a lot, soda, water, and so on. Do they just figure 15 X 7 days = 105 and stop you at 105 total? Or is it shut off at 15 every day? I will be bringing a case of water on board. Can I bring a case of flavored sparkling water? That is what I normally drink.

I think it's crazy that it limits you to 15 a day. That is not much at all. I am always thirsty so drink a lot, soda, water, and so on. Do they just figure 15 X 7 days = 105 and stop you at 105 total? Or is it shut off at 15 every day? I will be bringing a case of water on board. Can I bring a case of flavored sparkling water? That is what I normally drink.

You didn't mention alcoholic beverages, just soda and water. Water is free, and 15 sodas or flavored sparkoing water s astounding. This, I confess, is from someone who drinks too little water. But why are you even considering the SBP and $49/day pp.?

You didn't mention alcoholic beverages, just soda and water. Water is free, and 15 sodas or flavored sparkoing water s astounding. This, I confess, is from someone who drinks too little water. But why are you even considering the SBP and $49/day pp.?

Yes, I do drink alcoholic beverages. Being awake from 7 a.m. to about 1 a.m. with only 15 beverages is a long time in a warm climate. I drink at least two liters of my favorite bottled water during the winter and more in the summer. Drinks on cruise ships are small.

I felt water would be charged for, unless maybe it is not bottled?

I felt water would be charged for, unless maybe it is not bottled?

There's no charge for tap water, which is what is served in the dining venues, bars, and from which the ice in other drinks is made. It is perfectly fine to drink.

There is a charge for bottled water. When on the SBP, both the small bottles and the large bottles count as one drink of the 15 per day.

If you do want to go over the 15/day limit, you are free to do so; you aren't cut off based solely on that. The only thing is those extra drinks would be charged to your cabin account. So, have the more expensive drinks charged to your SBP, and save the less expensive drinks for the cabin card.

Also, if there is a day when you aren't going to have 15 drinks, purchase some bottles of water to save for another day when you will go over 15.

There's no charge for tap water, which is what is served in the dining venues, bars, and from which the ice in other drinks is made. It is perfectly fine to drink.

There is a charge for bottled water. When on the SBP, both the small bottles and the large bottles count as one drink of the 15 per day.

If you do want to go over the 15/day limit, you are free to do so; you aren't cut off based solely on that. The only thing is those extra drinks would be charged to your cabin account. So, have the more expensive drinks charged to your SBP, and save the less expensive drinks for the cabin card.

Also, if there is a day when you aren't going to have 15 drinks, purchase some bottles of water to save for another day when you will go over 15.

Got it. So it's 15 limit counted each day. Is there a different card for the beverage package?

Thanks. I will be packing my water, some sodas for my husband and some regular water. We will more than likely be spending several days on the beaches and want to make sure we have things to drink.

Nang, I was told by HALthat there is a separate card for the SBP as only the person on the card can use it to order only one drink every 5 minutes, and cannot order another drink for the other person in the room. The other person in the room has to order their own drink.

Nang, I was told by HALthat there is a separate card for the SBP as only the person on the card can use it to order only one drink every 5 minutes, and cannot order another drink for the other person in the room. The other person in the room has to order their own drink.

I was on a cruise two weeks ago and a fellow Aussie we met up with had the package and he showed me his room key which was marked to show he had the package. I saw him use it many times to "pay" for his drinks. This is not new as friends we cruised with a couple of years ago also used their room key.

If you purchase the SBP or EBP ahead of your cruise, or it is included with Explore-4, your room key will have SBP or EBP printed on the upper right corner. If you purchase it onboard, with the $5 per day penalty for the SBP, a bartender will place a sticker on your card saying SBP. Yes, you use your room card for all drink purchases. I have never had a problem ordering a 2nd beer in less than 5 minutes. (The first beer always goes down fast after a hot day ashore). I have also ordered doubles (in the same glass) of many cocktails with no problem. Don't even think of slipping a drink to a friend on your card. The bartenders and waiters are alert to this and will cancel your beverage package with NO REFUND. What you paid for the package for the whole cruise is gone. You will be paying as you go for the rest of the cruise. So, don't try to scam the system, you will be caught.