Antarctic on Pursuit

birdyrobin

Hi to everyone on the blog. I am traveling on the Pursuit in January 2019 and have a clothing question. Are there places that rent Antarctic suitable cold weather clothing? I don't want to purchase them as I have no use for them after this trip. How have you been able to tackle this problem with locations this cold?

birdyrobin

I just wore normal clothes and silk underwear when needed. not like you can not walk back indoors. you do need a hat and gloves etc. Even when I lived in FL I had cold weather clothes for trips.

Hi to everyone on the blog. I am traveling on the Pursuit in January 2019 and have a clothing question. Are there places that rent Antarctic suitable cold weather clothing? I don't want to purchase them as I have no use for them after this trip. How have you been able to tackle this problem with locations this cold?

birdyrobin

Hi. My husband David and I are also on this sailing. I, perhaps naively, thought my waterproof shell with packable down underneath and turtleneck under that would be fine. Once we get through Drake’s Passage, we will be in calm and not, I thought, impossibly cold weather. It is summer. Even Shackleton’s crew had their sleeves rolled up sometimes! I’d love to hear from more knowledgeable people.

(On the Saguenay fjord in Quebec, when we traveled from Southampton to Montreal on the Quest in 2016, crew brought up hot chocolate and rum onto the deck because there was a bite in the air. Maybe we can hope for that in Antarctica!)

fern

Nice to meet you Fern! :D Partner and I are going through a travel agency here in Dallas that offered this trip for $7699/person (Club Veranda V2 & V3 category cabins)(includes Air). Have gone on many foreign trips with them and always great discounts and extras! I have been to Alaska, but never to a place that will be this cold! Our travel agent said we might get snowed on as the weather is always unpredictable there. We have not been on an ocean cruise in probably 15 years, so the specialty dinning is new for us. Not sure if an extra $60 is worth their food! We started doing river cruises (Vietnam, Egypt, Cambodia) and absolutely LOVED them! I know from experience in Alaska that I was very cold when standing on the deck to watch the glaciers! I hope others can give us both some insight as to what cold weather gear we really need to take!

birdy

We did the Antarctic cruise a few years ago and it did indeed snow. The crew had a great time - for many it was their first time seeing snow. We brought down jackets, gloves and hats and were fine. The silk underwear works great. Actually we were coldest in the Falkland Islands standing in the wind watching the King penguins. But it was great!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

birdyrobin

I know I'm from the UK and you are from Dallas so cold is relative, but I just plan on taking some layers and a woolly hat to keep the head warm (most of your warmth is lost through the head). It's not an Antarctic Expedition, but rather a sail by of the Peninsula so the warmth of indoors won't be too far away. Other parts that we get off and tour might be chilly so be prepared, but no Scott of the Antarctic stuff ;)

There's a roll call here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2561640

Phil

We are also from the UK and did this cruise on Quest in 2013 and we both wore layers topped by a fleece and waterproof jackets. You will need the hat and gloves. It’s the wind chill factor on deck that can be a problem so be prepared to wrap a scarf around your face and nose. The crew walk around with hot chocolate laced with rum and also hot soup is available. As Phil says you can go inside if it gets too cold. If you are lucky and nature is bountiful you will see some unforgettable scenes. One thing I learned look with your eyes and not only through your camera as you can miss much whilst concentrating on taking that photo. Enjoy your cruise.

• 1 month later...
Nice to meet you Fern! :D Partner and I are going through a travel agency here in Dallas that offered this trip for $7699/person (Club Veranda V2 & V3 category cabins)(includes Air). Have gone on many foreign trips with them and always great discounts and extras! I have been to Alaska, but never to a place that will be this cold! Our travel agent said we might get snowed on as the weather is always unpredictable there. We have not been on an ocean cruise in probably 15 years, so the specialty dinning is new for us. Not sure if an extra $60 is worth their food! We started doing river cruises (Vietnam, Egypt, Cambodia) and absolutely LOVED them! I know from experience in Alaska that I was very cold when standing on the deck to watch the glaciers! I hope others can give us both some insight as to what cold weather gear we really need to take!

birdy

Birdy, we are also from Dallas and doing the same cruise package as you are! It will be nice to meet!

The items I found most useful in Antarctica for on deck were a Merino Neck Gaiter (to pull over your nose), merino/possum gloves without tips (for taking photos), cozy beanie which covers ears, silk underwear and a wind jacket. When it is really cold, you just add layers.

:)Thanks for the replies! I went out and purchased a neck gaiter and new gloves! The neck gaiter looks as though I can use it to cover my head/neck/ears with it. You are right that it is not an expedition cruise so I was overthinking how much to bundle up. I am looking forward to 18 days of fun! Also, the hot chocolate! I am glad to know a few of you are going to be on the same trip. Looking forward to it!

Its really not that cold, folks. Expedition on Fram south of the Antarctic Circle year ago February and ambient temps were in the low to mid 30s. Wind chill across the deck can increase relative cold. Many of us were able to run out to the decks in shirt sleeves for short periods of time to see/image wildlife, such as two orcas surrounding three seals on an ice flow. Ashore do need waterproof gear. Hurtigruten gave us windbreakers (to keep) to put over clothing. I was "colder" on December river boat trips in Germany/Austria.

To the Dallas folks, my DW and I are from Houston and did Antarctica last year including landings and zodiac rides where we were in the weather for up to 2 hours and NOT really any colder than Dallas in the winter. Yes, it snowed but, didn't see temps below about 27 F and we were there in early December so actually before summer officially started and while we did buy some warm layers, for the most part we were warm and walking around with our jackets open. If anything we wore too much but not place to change on shore. You will be on the ship so easy to get inside and remove layers.

You should have most of what you need from living in Dallas where it gets to the teens and does snow regularly in the winter. No worries not like it will be below zero F.

• 1 month later...

ATTENTION FOLKS ON THE AZAMARA PURSUIT ON JANUARY 6, 2019: I was just notified by my travel agent of the following cruise itinerary change:

Montevideo has been moved from Thursday, January 22 to Monday January 7th. Arrival at 8:00 am and depart 10:00 pm. A night out has been arranged by the ship (no extra cost) for dinner/music/fun in the city!

The overnight originally scheduled for Ushuaia on Thursday, January 10 will now be a extended call on Friday January 11 with arrival at 2:00 pm depart time 11:00 pm.

The calls on Elephant Island, Port Stanley, and Puerto Madryn each forward one day in their itinerary.

I had already made all my tour arrangements, so I wanted to let everyone know so you can get your tours changed also! Hopefully, the above information is not a surprise to you (you already have been notified about the changes).

birdyrobin

Re clothing - as a Canadian who deals with - 20 C a few days a year, the key is laying as mentioned. Neck gator (smart!), mitts are warmer than gloves (but I bet gloves will be fine), outside layer should break the wind (raincoat would work). The key to a hat is that it covers the top of your head where heat escapes and also your ears.