Curious question about butlers packing your luggage

baggal

We just returned home yesterday from Amsterdam/Schipol Airport after disembarking a HAL cruise. At least twice, if not three times, as we made our way through check-in, security, passport control, and a final security questioning at the gate, we were asked if anyone else had packed our bags. I know this questioning is routine but it led me to think - what would you say if the butler on your ship HAD packed for you?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unpacking is different, but each time that our Butler has packed for us at the end of a cruise, he has done so under our direct supervision (i.e."we won't be using the bathing suits any longer).

Because we were in the same room, watching him do it, I didn't feel dishonest in not reporting that other hands had placed the items in the cases.

We have to be in the room when they help us. I let them do my dresses while I do everything else. I have asked them to close the suitcases also. Get them into hallway. I can not lift them off the bed,

But all that time I was watching them. Butlers do not want to,lose their jobs.

That question that they ask you at the airport about has the luggage been in your possession since it was packed has always bothered me. If we say "no" (because we set it out the night before), are they going to put us under more scrutiny?

Guess it depends on how far you want to take the honesty.

No, the taxi cab driver put it in the truck as we got in.

No, the hotel porter watched over our bags and then gave them to the van driver.

No, the taxi driver got them out of the trunk , out of my view, while I was fumbling with my wallet for cash to pay him!

Do us all a favor and get in the back of the line before telling them any of the above!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cep;

I can only speak for AA, US, and Air Canada flights originating in the US for the past 3 years, but yes the question is always asked.

It was also asked by those personnel on flights originating from LHR , RCO, LIS, and HKG going to the States. I can’t remember if Cathay Pacific personnel asked for a flight originating in BGK, going to HGK, with baggage checked on to DFW.

It hasn't bothered me in the past. It won't bother me in the future. I know that if I choose to fly, my bags are subject to search without my consent.

Rob, you said it all. Everyone is subject to a random search. We pack and unpack our own bags and when asked if our bags have been with us at all times the simple answer is yes.

We do not ask the butler to pack or unpack for us. We like to organize our own stuff. If you are disabled or elderly I can understand the assistance by a butler but if you are not why take up their time on a turnaround day.

Unpacking is different, but each time that our Butler has packed for us at the end of a cruise, he has done so under our direct supervision (i.e."we won't be using the bathing suits any longer).

Because we were in the same room, watching him do it, I didn't feel dishonest in not reporting that other hands had placed the items in the cases.

No disrespect but, you actually sit there and watch a butler pack your bags....? :')

No disrespect but, you actually sit there and watch a butler pack your bags....? :')

It is a law you must be in the same cabin as them, you do not have to:sit there. I pack one suitcase he packs the other. Mostly he parks the dresses,

I am nor sitting reading a book butbworkingbalong side him,

Yes, we do-

As we watch the bartenders make our drinks

-and, if we happen to be there, the butlers' assistant make the beds, dust and vacuum-