Excursions- book through MSC or do your own

Jacks11

Hi,

We are off on our Cruise in September with MSC Poesia to the Mediterranean East.

Who would happily book through MSC for the day trips or do the day trips your self and do all the research before you go?

I have started looking at the ports and going on trip advisers websites bit its all getting confusing?

So any recommendations would be a great help

Thank you

Jacks

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports. He will tell you what there is to see/do in the ports, how much you can do in the time allowed, and how to do it yourself. Of your ports, he does not cover Sarande or Bari. We took a basic city tour in Bari (on Celebrity). Your problem with MSC tours is that there may not be many English speakers wanting that tour, so if it operates, it may be bilingual. Visit the Ports of Call board here to do some research. See if there is a ROLL CALL for your cruise, and see what your fellow cruisers are planning. EM

There is the PORTS OF CALL forum for EUROPE on the main page, you will find out a lot about your ports there. Personally I would do all my ports DIY or hire a small group tour. The cruise line excursions are way overpriced and you and 40 of your new friends will be herded through sites or stuck on the bus when a small group tour can get you around traffic jams and through long lines quickly.

Instead of Pompeii you can go to Herculenum on the train for a few Euros. The train stop is Ercolano. I suggest this because this town is more shaded and less visited it will be a much more enjoyable excursion rather than sweltering in the sun at Pompeii. This town was also affected by the same eruption as Pompeii so you will still get the same devastation.

Hi,

We are off on our Cruise in September with MSC Poesia to the Mediterranean East.

Who would happily book through MSC for the day trips or do the day trips your self and do all the research before you go?

I have started looking at the ports and going on trip advisers websites bit its all getting confusing?

So any recommendations would be a great help

Thank you

Jacks

Personally I prefer OMO for a variety of reasons. They are usually smaller groups and vehicles, they may be more customizable and they are usually less expensive but not always. Planning the trip and tours is actually a fun part of the adventure and reading, whether online, or in travel books or magazines gets me prepared for what I am going to see. Look at where the ships tours go, look at private tour companies in the area for their tours, check our tour books like R Steve’s, Frommer, Fodor, etc from the library and then decide what you would like to see.

Then you decide, are you comfortable doing it OYO, should you join a tour on your roll call, find a private tour or use the ship. I’m sailing the

Fjords next month with 9 stops. In 3 we will do walking tours we have laid out, that might include a bus or cab to cover a distance, three are through local tour providers where we booked direct but have other roll call members with us, one was done by a group on our roll call, one is a ships tour, partially to use up OBC and finally in one port I am renting a car for the day and found someone else to join us and split the cost.

You did not mention ports but another online resource I have used is Toms Port Guides. Check them out as well.

Research is KEY....if you can do something on your own, why wouldn't you? BUT...you MUST know something about the area you'll be in. Research will do that..and can save you a bundle, and give you a better time. If you have more money that research time, an excursion will be for you! You still get a good time, but you really pay for it.

Thank you for your reply, I think I will be researching and find private companies or doing it alone.

Our stops are Venice, Bari, Katakolon, Mykonas, Piraeus, Dubrovnik. So if anyone has any useful link to start me off that be great.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply, I think I will be researching and find private companies or doing it alone.

Our stops are Venice, Bari, Katakolon, Mykonas, Piraeus, Dubrovnik. So if anyone has any useful link to start me off that be great.

Thank you

As in my previous reply, the Rick Steves book, and the Ports of Call board here. EM

VENICE

Assuming you're berthed in the cruise quays, take the people-mover (? still just 1 euro?), cross the square to the vaporetto (waterbus) down the Grand Canal to the Rialto Bridge & explore on your own.

KATAKOLON

...... is only for Olympia, about 30 minutes away. There's nothing else of significant interest in the area. Various travel options - KataKolon Express bus, train, rent a car.

MYKONOS

If your ship berths, it's a 2 mile bus or taxi or shuttlebus to the village.

If your ship moors off-shore & you're tendered ashore, the tender takes you right into the village Harbour - no need for any transport.

The village is attractive and interesting, good for a lazy day. Or take a ferry across to Delos.

PIRAEUS

About 20 - 30 mins from Athens by X80 express bus or ho-ho bus or metro or taxi.

DUBROVNIK

Simplest is to use ship's payable shuttle for the 2 miles from cruise berth to walled city (Pile / Pila Gate). Or taxi up to Mt Srd, then cablecar down to walled city. Wander the walled city, mebbe walk the walls, no need for a tour or guide.

(Same as Mykonos, some ships moor offshore and you're tendered into the harbour - examples of when TENDERING is better than BERTHED)

Sorry, can't help with Bari

Sometimes MSC (andCosta) don't have enough English-speaking tour customers, so their tour is combined with another language. Bi-lingual tours, but a bit of a pain.

MSC have beautiful ships

JB :)