A short one on CPP/CPPP.

crystalspin

OK, I have searched, I have read a dozen likely-sounding threads -- none have answered my question. If one person of a non-couple reservation may not be able to come on the cruise, and they booked under a promotional the remaining person doesn't want to lose -- is it better for the remaining person just to show up and say "my friend missed her plane"? Would she get charged the single supplement IN ADDITION TO losing the fare of the friend???

What effect would one or both of them having Platinum CPP have? Like, does the PCPP re-pay 90% for the one, while the other gets hit with essentially double fare? Would that be the best possible outcome after all?

Hopefully this is just theoretical.

OK, I have searched, I have read a dozen likely-sounding threads -- none have answered my question. If one person of a non-couple reservation may not be able to come on the cruise, and they booked under a promotional the remaining person doesn't want to lose -- is it better for the remaining person just to show up and say "my friend missed her plane"? Would she get charged the single supplement IN ADDITION TO losing the fare of the friend???

What effect would one or both of them having Platinum CPP have? Like, does the PCPP re-pay 90% for the one, while the other gets hit with essentially double fare? Would that be the best possible outcome after all?

Hopefully this is just theoretical.

My experience is 10 years old, so as the saying goes - YMMV.

I had a cruise booked with a friend. That particular cruise solo price was the same as 2 people would pay so no discount at all for solo. Several weeks out it appeared they would not be going. I discussed the situation with my PCC and it was determined that showing up alone and telling the people at embarkation that the other person was traveling separately would be the best course of action. If we canceled the other person, single supplement would kick in and I would owe a bunch more. They ended up not showing and I was refunded the taxes and port fees, not a lot but at least something.

It wasn't clear if you had to pay for both or not (other than the extra port fees).

I can't see HAL refunding half a cabin fare just because one person did not show up. Likewise, HAL would have no reason to charge you the solo rate if they already collected the fare for two passengers.

Think of it as the price for a cabin rather than a price per person.

igraf

I had a cruise booked with a friend. That particular cruise solo price was the same as 2 people would pay so no discount at all for solo. Several weeks out it appeared they would not be going. I discussed the situation with my PCC and it was determined that showing up alone and telling the people at embarkation that the other person was traveling separately would be the best course of action. If we canceled the other person, single supplement would kick in and I would owe a bunch more. They ended up not showing and I was refunded the taxes and port fees, not a lot but at least something.

Amazing that a company employee would suggest that you lie, or at least hide the truth, to his own company. :confused: Obviously not a frequent winner of the "Employee of the Month" award!

Edited by taxmantoo

So no one has first (or immediate second) hand experience with one person in a 2-person room (both having the Platinum CPP) not making the cruise? Am I even correct in thinking that both people in a cabin must have the same cancellation plan, even though you sign up individually on the on-line form?

So no one has first (or immediate second) hand experience with one person in a 2-person room (both having the Platinum CPP) not making the cruise? Am I even correct in thinking that both people in a cabin must have the same cancellation plan, even though you sign up individually on the on-line form?

Although it was 10 years ago, the information I posted above was first hand.

1. Both passengers had Platinum CPP.

2. I was advised that if one person canceled, their fare would be refunded per the terms of the CPP Platinum policy.

3. My fare would be changed to the single rate. This would have caused my fare to be about $200 more than the combined fare that had been paid for the two passengers.

Since I had paid for both passengers, I chose to not cancel and just have the second as a "no show". I received a refund of the taxes and port charges for the second passenger.

I believe HAL's policies are still the same, but I have not had the situation come up again.

Although it was 10 years ago, the information I posted above was first hand.

1. Both passengers had Platinum CPP.

2. I was advised that if one person canceled, their fare would be refunded per the terms of the CPP Platinum policy.

3. My fare would be changed to the single rate. This would have caused my fare to be about $200 more than the combined fare that had been paid for the two passengers.

Sorry Richwmn -- I think I misread. that you both had PCPP. I want my mom to have that anyway for the medical/evac. It looks like this is the way to go, and I still have two months plus to try to get the other person to come along! Thanks for posting not once but twice!

• 2 months later...

Well, my aunt did have to cancel, and both she and my mom have the the Platinum coverage. That is to say, my aunt is not coming BUT I have not cancelled her officially (5 days to boarding). My PCC has said that if I cancel her, "she" will get back 90% and my mom's fare will go up 100%, PLUS her CPPPlatinum will go up another $259! Spoken as if that was not optional!

I'm feeling like just doing what RichWmn did and telling them at the pier that aunt couldn't come at the last minute. 10% is $267 -- that's almost like real money! (Understand, this is all coming out of MY pocketbook, or rather my husband's.)

I will update if anything new to report.

I'm also unclear on medical coverage at all,

benefits will bepayable only for Covered Expenses resulting from a Sickness that first manifests itself or an Injury that occurs while on aCovered Cruise Vacation;

sound to me like exacerbations of pre-existing conditions are not covered, but my PCC says they are.

Well, my aunt did have to cancel, and both she and my mom have the the Platinum coverage. That is to say, my aunt is not coming BUT I have not cancelled her officially (5 days to boarding). My PCC has said that if I cancel her, "she" will get back 90% and my mom's fare will go up 100%, PLUS her CPPPlatinum will go up another $259! Spoken as if that was not optional!

I'm feeling like just doing what RichWmn did and telling them at the pier that aunt couldn't come at the last minute. 10% is $267 -- that's almost like real money! (Understand, this is all coming out of MY pocketbook, or rather my husband's.)

I will update if anything new to report.

Perhaps someone else can go in your aunt's place.

It might have been arrang-able before final payment, but I didn't act on it then because I was still hoping my aunt might find an elder-care person (friend) to house-sit. Also there are not too many people in the world that my mom would be able to spend two weeks in close proximity to!

Also I understood, perhaps unfoundedly (not a word), that any change of names including a cancellation, would mean loss of the promotional (E4) that I booked under. My PCC says that no, my mom won't lose SBP and Pinnacle Grill dinner, so apparently that is not going to be so for the cancellation. One bright spot!