Regatta arrival San Francisco May 22

PM1225

Regatta is due to arrive San Francisco at 6 am Tuesday. As of 10 am ships time, we have 850 nautical miles to travel and are averaging about 17.3 knots with head winds.

Using speed and distance calculations, we would arrive in 48 hours (we gain one hour tonight). This would be 0900 local or 3 hours late.

With 45 more hours to scheduled arrival, we could still make arrival on time, if conditions change.

For those of you preparing to board in San Francisco, I would recommend following Regatta's progress. MarineTraffic.com is a good free app that should show our position, course and speed.

On arrival the Regatta will undergo a "through sanitation protocol ". This entails disembarking all guests, including those of us that are continuing on the next cruise segment. The ship will be scrubbed down which could delay the embarkation process. The cleaning is due to a stomach virus outbreak that affected 13 passengers.

My personal opinion is that Regatta is not able to achieve her designed max speed of 20 knots. We have achieved 18 in calm seas but no more. The ship was 3 or 4 hours late into Nassau on the previous cruise, we missed Cartagena, Columbia do to "minor technical difficulties " and were about 30 minutes to an hour late into Cabo San Lucas yesterday.

But, if any readers are getting on or off in San Francisco then I would recommend following the progress closely.

Regatta is due to arrive San Francisco at 6 am Tuesday. As of 10 am ships time, we have 850 nautical miles to travel and are averaging about 17.3 knots with head winds.

Using speed and distance calculations, we would arrive in 48 hours (we gain one hour tonight). This would be 0900 local or 3 hours late.

With 45 more hours to scheduled arrival, we could still make arrival on time, if conditions change.

For those of you preparing to board in San Francisco, I would recommend following Regatta's progress. MarineTraffic.com is a good free app that should show our position, course and speed.

On arrival the Regatta will undergo a "through sanitation protocol ". This entails disembarking all guests, including those of us that are continuing on the next cruise segment. The ship will be scrubbed down which could delay the embarkation process. The cleaning is due to a stomach virus outbreak that affected 13 passengers.

My personal opinion is that Regatta is not able to achieve her designed max speed of 20 knots. We have achieved 18 in calm seas but no more. The ship was 3 or 4 hours late into Nassau on the previous cruise, we missed Cartagena, Columbia do to "minor technical difficulties " and were about 30 minutes to an hour late into Cabo San Lucas yesterday.

But, if any readers are getting on or off in San Francisco then I would recommend following the progress closely.

I can understand the occasional virus outbreak and I am sorry for the sick passengers. However the ship should not be still having technical difficulties and be missing ports. This has been going on for months now. It is very annoying for past passengers and booked passengers looking forward to sailing on Regatta and now having doubts.

Thank you so much for info! My husband and I are on the May 22 cruise leaving San Francisco and your info is greatly appreciated as we are not interested in waiting for hours at the port. Thank you.

ETA SF now 10:30 am.

Are you currently on board, or just estimating from the current speed? If this is an official announcement from the Regatta, I'm really starting to get queasy over the ship's capability for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

Are you currently on board, or just estimating from the current speed? If this is an official announcement from the Regatta, I'm really starting to get queasy over the ship's capability for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

I believe he's been onboard for a while now.

I am on board.

At about 8 am the captain came over the ships loud speaker (including inside the cabin) and announced that we would arrive San Francisco "no sooner than 1030".

As of 1130, ships time, we are making about 16 knots with 400 miles to travel. That would equate to roughly 1230 pm arrival.

The nerves on board are becoming frayed. Travel plans are disrupted and the ship is still in disease prevention mode. I plan to make a separate post about life under this protocol later today.

Getting the straight story is difficult as ships management has been less than completely honest on several occasions.

Enough said.

Mine also. We had our cruise cancelled a couple of years ago with the same issues. The ship had been struggling for months until they finally took her for repairs. 4 future cruises were cancelled.

Mine also. We had our cruise cancelled a couple of years ago with the same issues. The ship had been struggling for months until they finally took her for repairs. 4 future cruises were cancelled.

Were you scheduled to be on the Celebrity Millennium? We were also booked on one of the cancelled cruises, and quite disappointed by the engine failure. I believe the Coast Guard wouldn't allow the ship to leave port on one engine with passengers aboard, so all were eventually dumped off unceremoniously in Ketchikan. To their credit, Celebrity did reimburse all our expenses, including airfare. Sadly, I foresee a similar occurrence on the Regatta if they persist in failing to properly address the engine issue.

Were you scheduled to be on the Celebrity Millennium? We were also booked on one of the cancelled cruises, and quite disappointed by the engine failure. I believe the Coast Guard wouldn't allow the ship to leave port on one engine with passengers aboard, so all were eventually dumped off unceremoniously in Ketchikan. To their credit, Celebrity did reimburse all our expenses, including airfare. Sadly, I foresee a similar occurrence on the Regatta if they persist in failing to properly address the engine issue.

I believe it was Millennium. We luckily booked another to the Mediterranean for the same week. Celebrity did reimburse our fare as expected but also gave us a huge credit and paid the difference in the airfare to Europe which was more expensive than to the West Coast. However this time we are with family and we are looking forward to Alaska in less than 3 weeks so do not want a phone call telling me the ship is going into dock for repairs.

Update - 2 pm local.

We have altered course to starboard. We appear to be headed into LA or Long Beach????

Current course is 13 degrees. Speed increased to 17. 0

Our on board TV channel (4) shows accurate course/speed (verified by MarineTraffic.com) but distance to "next port San Francisco" shows 1720 nautical miles???????

Something funny is going on....

Stay tuned ....

As posted , the captain announced at 3:45 that arrival is now scheduled for 2 pm tomorrow.

The course change was attributed to US Naval Naval exercises off the coast of California and the need to avoid the area.

We seem to be taking a route closer to the coast which may take us between the Channel Islands and Santa Barbara.

We will get there eventually, still with the need for a complete post GI cleaning.

ETA in San Francisco is now 2:00 pm

Captain announced about 1/2 hour ago

That’s ridiculous, they need to take that barge out of service and fix the propulsion problem. I had hoped they were actually heading to Los Angeles for emergency repairs, and not just continuing on blaming the weather for the ongoing substandard performance. They could probably have express bused the passengers from Los Angeles to San Francisco by early morning. I can’t believe Oceania intends to spend the rest of the year arriving late, missing ports, and distressing their loyal customers until dry dock arrives in 2019, but maybe I’m just naive.

Please continue to post updates. Oceania rep called us and left a message telling us not to come to the port until 6:00 pm. I was hoping it would just be canceled rather than deal with multiple problems for the next 11 days! Thanks for your postings!

Same feeling. I called Oceania this afternoon and asked if the ship would be going in for repairs but they insisted that there was no problem only weather causing the delay. We are also on Regatta in June to Alaska.

Please continue to post updates. Oceania rep called us and left a message telling us not to come to the port until 6:00 pm. I was hoping it would just be canceled rather than deal with multiple problems for the next 11 days! Thanks for your postings!

7 PM - we are just offshore of Oxnard, CA. We will be sailing through the Santa Barbara Channel at around sunset.

Winds and Seas have calmed but ships speed remains at 16 knots or below. I would expect a higher speed, but we don't seem to increasing speed?

All along, many passengers, myself included, have felt that we are not getting the full story.

Our butler indicated that new passengers were expected to board around 6 tomorrow. It looks like we'll have desert and (lifeboat) drill tomorrow.

our country has enough problems....let's not spoil this wonderful website by calling other people names.

disagree but do it nicely.......jeez......

You are right, but sometimes see certain things that are so wrong that it makes you angry. Should not get carried away. Sorry.