Open Seating Experiences

Captiveguru

Regarding table saving - the doors were kept closed until 7 pm. There was always one gal who was first in line and bolted to the same table every night. A few minutes later, her husband and parents arrived. I'm sure there were others who did the same and by the last night of the cruise, when we had a congenial group of six who wished to dine together, we did send two of the husbands down to wait by the door to insure we'd have one of the few, round tables for six.

That seems sensible. It you want a particular table wait in line until the door opens. I have no problem with someone "saving" a table for those who come in later, as long as they are at the table.

I dunno. maybe its me, but if I have to rush every night for dinner, that kinda negates a relaxing cruise....jmho

baf

Agreed. But the only people who have to rush in right at 7:00 PM are those that want a specific table. We prefered to come in after the rush and sit with strangers. Every dinner conversation was great.

We are ocean cruisers but did our first river cruise on Scenic this past June. We were surprised with the rigidity of the dining room rules - dinner at 7 sharp and if you're not there, they would send out looking for you. Apparently they didn't even want to begin dinner service unless everyone was seated. First water was served to the entire room. Then bread was delivered to the entire room. Then wine service began and finally, the waiters began to take orders for food. If one wanted a wine other than the two 'recommended bottles' that were being poured that evening, it was another long wait to get a different bottle from the cellar.

We had similar experience on Scenic and that was the only thing about Scenic I didn't care for. After orders were taken from everyone the first course was served to everyone and then the dishes picked up from everyone and then the next course was served and so on. There was one couple who would come in about 45 minutes after the dinner started and they were given special service.

Can anyone advise how the open seating works on Crystal? It looks as if there are tables for 2 which is unusual as on other lines we have always shared tables. Can you eat at any time or does everybody eat at the same time?

We had an interesting experience on our recent cruise. A couple joined us at our table. The woman said "good morning", took out her teeth and placed them next to her plate. Sort of ruined breakfast for me.

OMG! You've got to be kidding me.

Roz

We are a family of 4 adults and have only done ocean cruises where we always sat at a table for 4. This allowed us not to only talk about our day but catch up with each other's lives since our adult children do not live at home. It seems like Viking has mostly tables for 6 and a few for 8. My plan is to sit at a table for 8 so we will have more people to interact with and there would be more people to interact with other than ourselves. If we sit at a table for 6, we would feel obligated to entertain the other people/couple at our table and they might feel shunned if we just start talking about things only pertinent to us.

Am I concerned over nothing? We don't want to appear anti-social but do enjoy the little time we have together as a family. We are also thinking about taking our meals on the Aquavit terrace (enclosed area since we will be going in December). It looks like there are tables for 4 there but I am not 100% sure of this. Does anyone know?

We had an interesting experience on our recent cruise. A couple joined us at our table. The woman said "good morning", took out her teeth and placed them next to her plate. Sort of ruined breakfast for me.

OMG is right.....how rude and gross is that:eek:

We are a family of 4 adults and have only done ocean cruises where we always sat at a table for 4. This allowed us not to only talk about our day but catch up with each other's lives since our adult children do not live at home. It seems like Viking has mostly tables for 6 and a few for 8. My plan is to sit at a table for 8 so we will have more people to interact with and there would be more people to interact with other than ourselves. If we sit at a table for 6, we would feel obligated to entertain the other people/couple at our table and they might feel shunned if we just start talking about things only pertinent to us.

Am I concerned over nothing? We don't want to appear anti-social but do enjoy the little time we have together as a family. We are also thinking about taking our meals on the Aquavit terrace (enclosed area since we will be going in December). It looks like there are tables for 4 there but I am not 100% sure of this. Does anyone know?

Huh? LOTS of tables for 2 and for 4 on Viking OCEAN restaurants. Viking RIVER has only tables for 6 and larger (OK except the few on the Aquavit Terrace)

Huh? LOTS of tables for 2 and for 4 on Viking OCEAN restaurants. Viking RIVER has only tables for 6 and larger (OK except the few on the Aquavit Terrace)

I was talking about the river cruise we will be going on in December. Sorry about the confusion.

Am I concerned over nothing? We don't want to appear anti-social but do enjoy the little time we have together as a family.

I wouldn't get too concerned, you have pre and post meal periods as well, and the actual meals are not typically the long drawn out affairs that you sometimes get on ocean cruises so you should have plenty of time for family catch-ups.

The 'enforced' socialization aspect of river cruises does take a little adjustment but if you go with the flow I think you'll have a great time, if you go with a burning need to only talk to each other then it may not work out so well :)

I wouldn't get too concerned, you have pre and post meal periods as well, and the actual meals are not typically the long drawn out affairs that you sometimes get on ocean cruises so you should have plenty of time for family catch-ups.

The 'enforced' socialization aspect of river cruises does take a little adjustment but if you go with the flow I think you'll have a great time, if you go with a burning need to only talk to each other then it may not work out so well :)

Thank you.

Can anyone advise how the open seating works on Crystal? It looks as if there are tables for 2 which is unusual as on other lines we have always shared tables. Can you eat at any time or does everybody eat at the same time?

Majority of the tables on Crystal river boats are tables for two but they are spaced fairly closed together that you can easily talk to the next table but still maintain some privacy. There are just a few round tables for 4 and 6 in the main dining room. Crystal stresses privacy for their guests so they definitely won't force you to mingle with others. It's open anytime dining meaning you can just go in any time when the dining room is open. In fact you don't need to eat in the dining room because they have room service too. Keep in mind the diners can get a bit dressy in the evening in the main dining room, not formal wear dressy but country club dressy. As long as you wear collared shirt, dress slacks, ... you won't have an issue. The upstairs Bistro is very casual. Just about anything goes there. Also Crystal doesn't use a Program Director for daily updates to the passengers, ... your only form of communication is the daily newsletter so be sure to read it carefully especially if it involves any ship swaps, delays and other changes due to weather. However, the front desk naturally can brief you on the changes.

If you get a chance, be sure to try the Bistro's Rueben sandwich. It's about 3 inches thick and absolutely delicious.

We have recently returned from our second river cruise both were with Scenic. Previously have ocean cruised mainly on Seabourn and Silversea. This trip the staff and general administration was superb. Far better than our first trip. The real problem was at dinner. It was a real scrum which the staff were frankly unable to control. It seemed to be lead by more experienced river cruisers who had decided that that table was theirs what ever. They found various ways of securing their table ahead of the main scrum!! One evening was asked to move by a fellow guest. So shocked I did!! It is made worse as the alternative dinner option which seats 25 was only available on a few nights of the cruise. When open did reduce the problem. Would not river cruise again having to face this sort of problem. Sadly as Scenic were in all other respects wonderful. This has been a very interesting discussion as had hoped that we could find an alternative line, possibly Crystal.

I have tried the getting in the DR early strategy in the past. This had worked sometimes and caused major problems on a few others. Once I sat at an empty table for six and a group of passengers came up and said this was their table. The complained to the Maitre'd and he made me move. I was very angry so I just went up on the sundeck and skipped dinner. The hotel manager saw me up there and asked why I'm not at dinner. I told him the situation and he also became very upset. He asked me to come and sit at his table to the rest of the cruise.

Were you traveling alone? I am trying my first River cruise as a SOLO, need to know what to expect.

If tables are not reserved, I may not take it well when asked to move. As for passengers that insist on breaking policies for their own selfish whims, I really have no sympathy for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were you traveling alone? I am trying my first River cruise as a SOLO, need to know what to expect.

If tables are not reserved, I may not take it well when asked to move. As for passengers that insist on breaking policies for their own selfish whims, I really have no sympathy for them.

Good morning, I always sail solo and found the dining experience on AMA very good. It was very easy to meet other people and I sat with others throughout the week. Hope you have a great cruise.:) I can only speak from my experience......tables were not reserved and I don't remember any issues like the above happening.

Good morning, I always sail solo and found the dining experience on AMA very good. It was very easy to meet other people and I sat with others throughout the week. Hope you have a great cruise.:) I can only speak from my experience......tables were not reserved and I don't remember any issues like the above happening.

Thank you, if only the water levels on the Danube will cooperate. I will be on Avalon and it will be a wine lovers cruise, hoping for pleasant company.

My aunt raves about river cruises,so I am trying this out. I love my ocean cruises, we will see.

Been on half a dozen river cruises, Viking & Uniworld. I've never seen anything but single cruisers welcomed and "adopted" by fellow guests. You'll have a great time!

The only table reservations I've seen are what I'd call normal, when part of a party already seated is holding empty seats for friends. Never saw anyone come up to a table and ask anyone seated to move. Instead, what usually happens with us is if we're already seated folks come and ask if the seats are open and we meet new people.

If they don't enjoy our company, they simply don't ask to sit with us again. :D

Been on half a dozen river cruises, Viking & Uniworld. I've never seen anything but single cruisers welcomed and "adopted" by fellow guests. You'll have a great time!

The only table reservations I've seen are what I'd call normal, when part of a party already seated is holding empty seats for friends. Never saw anyone come up to a table and ask anyone seated to move. Instead, what usually happens with us is if we're already seated folks come and ask if the seats are open and we meet new people.

If they don't enjoy our company, they simply don't ask to sit with us again. :D

I have been adopted on my ocean cruises also! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Thank you!

Sunday Golf what a horrible experience, we have cruised seven times with Scenic and never had that problem but I can assure you that if we had we would have taken the restraunt manager, hotel manager and cruise director to one side and ensure that they knew exactly how we felt. I do hope you carry on river cruising. CA

The real problem was at dinner. It was a real scrum which the staff were frankly unable to control. It seemed to be lead by more experienced river cruisers who had decided that that table was theirs what ever. They found various ways of securing their table ahead of the main scrum!!

What strategies did the experienced river cruisers use?

The real problem was at dinner. It was a real scrum which the staff were frankly unable to control. It seemed to be lead by more experienced river cruisers who had decided that that table was theirs what ever. They found various ways of securing their table ahead of the main scrum!! One evening was asked to move by a fellow guest. So shocked I did!! It is made worse as the alternative dinner option which seats 25 was only available on a few nights of the cruise. When open did reduce the problem.

I am on the Scenic Opal right now, on my first river cruise, and have not experienced anything of the kind. My wife and I enjoy dining alone, and we have had no problem finding a two-top any evening. I haven't seen anything resembling a scrum.