New Forum - Australia & New Zealand Cruisers

Just thought I'd post a new thread to publicise the new forum - Australia & New Zealand Cruisers http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

From my understanding, P&O Cruises (Australia) will remain only for P&O cruises specific questions.

The new forum Australia & New Zealand Cruisers will be for general cruise discussion including ports and other cruise lines for us Australia / New Zealand cruisers (ie RCI, Holland).

Edited by LuckiePuris

Just thought I'd post a new thread to publicise the new forum - Australia & New Zealand Cruisers http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=712

From my understanding, P&O Cruises (Australia) will remain only for P&O cruises specific questions.

The new forum Australia & New Zealand Cruisers will be for general cruise discussion including ports and other cruise lines for us Australia / New Zealand cruisers (ie RCI, Holland).

To be sure, there are two new forums under the new CC header - Australia and New Zealand Cruisers, One is the one described above by LuckiePuris and the other is G'Day Mate!, which is a new kind of forum that is open to any topic, cruise or non-cruise related, that might be of interest to Australians and New Zealanders.

The three forums focused on A/NZ Cruisers are:

P&O Australia: The old one. A cruise line board similar to all other cruise line boards where discussions of P&O Australia cruising will continue to take place

Australia & New Zealand Cruisers: A new one. This is a board for all members to discuss topics of general interest to cruisers in and around Australia and New Zealand. A discussion of a new terminal in an Australian port or a new port of call in the South Island or discriminatory pricing of cruises in general would be examples of topics in this forum.

G'Day Mate!: A totally new concept. This one is open for just about anything at all of interest to A/NZ cruisers, such as whether the All Blacks had an advantage over the SpringBoks, how the cricket match with Kenya is working out for the Aussies or whether Vegemite is better than Marmite. And is Julia's hair really that red?

If you have any questions at all about the new forums please let me know.

Edited by Host Walt

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

We are planning a cruise for 2014 and it will start in Austrialia, so we would like to fly over a few days early so we can see more than what the cruise will not allow time for. Any suggestions would be great. We would like to stay at a hotel not far from the port, so we can easily access the ship when its time to board.

Karon

We are planning a cruise for 2014 and it will start in Austrialia, so we would like to fly over a few days early so we can see more than what the cruise will not allow time for. Any suggestions would be great. We would like to stay at a hotel not far from the port, so we can easily access the ship when its time to board.

Karon

If you go to cruise critic's sister site trip advisor, and select Australia and then Sydney you'll find a wealth of information under the FAQs and from regulars ... tho' I'm sure regulars here would be able to assist too.

Does you "paperwork" tell you where you are embarking? eg Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay / The Rocks. If that is the case, there are different types of accommodation available in that vicinity from YHA, B&B, and old hotels to modern hotels with prices to match.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My wife (Debbie) & I (Anthony) are heading out on this cruise...anyone else heading out on the same cruise?

First Celebrity cruise for us...

Had no interest in cruising until my 50th birthday when we thought we'd try something different....first cruise was with P&O on one of the milk runs around the islands, did the same cruise the following year..then in 2012...went around Fiji and some of the other islands with P&O again...this time we're heading around NZ....next time, maybe Sydney to Honolulu.... icon7.gif

Welcome Debbie and Anthony! My name is Karon(from CA) and girlfriend Suzanne (from GA) are booked on this cruise. We love cruising and have had this cruise booked since earlier this year. We have wanted to do this cruise for some time. I LOVE Celebrity, they are one of the best lines. We usually cruise on Royal which is very very nice, but Celebrity is a step up and you won't be disappointed. I have been crusing since I was in my 20's before it caught on. I am leaving this coming Friday for a 15 night cruise on Princess leaving from San Francisco to Mexico and then on to Hawaii, to sail all the islands then home to SF. I have never done a Christmas/News Years cruise so excited to try it. Where are you coming from ? Happy Holidays

Hi Karon;

Debbie & I booked the cruise back in February and made the final payment last weekend, so it's all set.....will feel strange without our daughters with us though.....I guess we're relative newcomers considering the number of people here who've been cruising for years.....

We're from Cedar Grove in Queensland, Australia; it's about an hour southwest of Brisbane (or other side of the Gold Coast hinterland); originally from Auckland, New Zealand, so the North Island we know pretty well know and have lots of family & friends there but we haven't really seen that much of the South Island so we're looking forward to that.....we have lived in Sydney for over 20years but relocated to Brisbane about 10 years ago.....

Our travel agent suggested Celebrity Cruises to us, I wasn't sure at first because I really didn't know much about Celebrity......sounded expensive, but I was interested in Royal Caribbean, and as we'd already cruised with P&O a few times, we were also looking at Princess & Carnival Cruises.

We're both in our 50s, having spent many years, motorcycle touring, camping, & traveling in generally so we've found that we've very much taken to cruising.....

Hawaii is nice, but we have only flown there so to cruise there would be great.....a Christmas/NY cruise sounds great, hope it all goes well....

We're looking forward to meeting and making new friends on this cruise....hope to catch up with you all on the cruise......Best regards, Anthony

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Karon;

Debbie & I booked the cruise back in February and made the final payment last weekend, so it's all set.....will feel strange without our daughters with us though.....I guess we're relative newcomers considering the number of people here who've been cruising for years.....

We're from Cedar Grove in Queensland, Australia; it's about an hour southwest of Brisbane (or other side of the Gold Coast hinterland); originally from Auckland, New Zealand, so the North Island we know pretty well know and have lots of family & friends there but we haven't really seen that much of the South Island so we're looking forward to that.....we have lived in Sydney for over 20years but relocated to Brisbane about 10 years ago.....

Our travel agent suggested Celebrity Cruises to us, I wasn't sure at first because I really didn't know much about Celebrity......sounded expensive, but I was interested in Royal Caribbean, and as we'd already cruised with P&O a few times, we were also looking at Princess & Carnival Cruises.

We're both in our 50s, having spent many years, motorcycle touring, camping, & traveling in generally so we've found that we've very much taken to cruising.....

Hawaii is nice, but we have only flown there so to cruise there would be great.....a Christmas/NY cruise sounds great, hope it all goes well....

We're looking forward to meeting and making new friends on this cruise....hope to catch up with you all on the cruise......Best regards, Anthony

:)

Hi Anthony,

I see that you have joined the Celebrity Solstice Roll Call thread for your cruise where you are now enjoying meeting your fellow cruisers. 2014 - March 10 - Australia/New Zealand

Edited by Host Walt

Hi Anthony and Debbie and Happy New Year!

The Christmas and New Year Cruise was wonderful and my Mother truly enjoyed herself. I haven't sailed on Princess for 20 plus years and while the ship was nice, there are definately things about Royal and Celebrity I like much more. I think Princess did a great job with the entertainment, but their cabins are smaller and closest terrible small. Their dinning rooms have low ceilings and are not open like Royal and Celebrity. The weather was great about 75 degrees the entire time in Hawaii. A lot of changes since I was there last time, but we had a great vacation.

Lets talk about our new cruise this year! My girlfriend from Georgia is going to sail with me on this trip, we have been meeting for one cruise a year for the past 7 years. We are planning on flying into Sydney hopefully 3-4 days before we sail. I would appreciate suggestions on what we should see. I know Australia is a very large country and we have to be reasonable on what we can expect to see. I want to see the Zoo that is on the list. I am hoping we can fly out on Sat. (your Sun) arriving on Monday, then have Mon, Tues and Wed, then part of Thursday before we sail. Since you also know the North part of New Zealand, suggestions on what is worth seeing?

I am the planner of our group, and don't always take the cruise lines excursions, sometimes I can do better on planning our activities and save us money. Now that this cruise is past me I can start planning our Nov cruise.

I hope we can get some others to sign up.

Karon

HI Eileen and Jim

Where are you coming from? Have you ever made this trip before? I am from California and my girlfriend is from GA, we will fly over and meet in Sydney before the cruise starts.

Karon

• 4 years later...

We want to do an around Australia cruise in 2020. We live in the US and have always used Princess. Although I'm on the Princess Cruise Line board often, I've rarely seen any threads about this cruise. Should I be looking under P & O, or is that only for Australian and New Zealand cruisers?

We want to do an around Australia cruise in 2020. We live in the US and have always used Princess. Although I'm on the Princess Cruise Line board often, I've rarely seen any threads about this cruise. Should I be looking under P & O, or is that only for Australian and New Zealand cruisers?

No P&O australia do not do lon g range cruises Princess and Holland America do or of course P&O UK

• 7 months later...

We are cruising 24 Nov 2018 to NZ . So far no shore Excursions have been listed for Bay of Islands . I have enquired several Times about that Fact ,and received nothing but Excuses why that is the Case . I suspect that they do not want to go to Bay of Islands to cut Cost . Has anyone heard anything ? Because the Explanation they have given me does not make any sense !!!

• 4 years later...

does anyone know if the refreshment drink package is worth it? going on a 14 day cruise, and am not much of a drinker. i prefer mocktails, but can’t find any menus indicating there’s even a variety. does anyone know whether it’s worth the additional $700 for the package, or have a mocktail menu for pacific adventure? 

This is from September last year that someone posted on line. Definitely a P&O ship, but not sure which one.

image.png.f4620547e8dcbd1ecfc3df1db9eeb8c7.png

So, that will give you an indication of prices. Guess you would need to do the math to ascertain whether you are better off with the Refreshment Drinks Package or pay as you go. Depends how many drinks you think you will consume per day.

Its about 10 non-alcoholic drinks (mocktails, coffees, water) a day every day to break even. If you are happy with tap water (which is fine for me) and, even if you are not, for most people pay as you go would be better value. For me on my own, (alcoholic) drinks packages work but The Boss doesn't drink as much as me so we pay as you go on P&O.