San Blas Islands, Panama

Wayfairers

Not sure this is the correct location for this question, but I didn’t see a board just for Panama or for Central America so I am putting it here. I know a lot of ships no longer stop at San Blas Islands, but ours will this time next year.

I am wondering if anyone has been there lately and has input on things to see and do. My research tells me a few years ago you could take dugout canoe rides, pics with kids holding various animals, tour local homes and just walk around. Has anything changed?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 7 months later...

One of my favorite memories are of our stop at the San Blas islands many years ago.

I can’t give you any up to date info. other than be sure to get off the ship for a look at a primitive society that is comfortable with who and where they are.

Even if you are not a souvenir gatherer, you will want a hand crafted fabric piece. I’ve four on my wall as I write. By the time you’ve read this you may have already returned!

Ann

• 11 months later...

Our stop in the San Blas Islands was fun.   These islands are gorgeous and look like they are floating on the water.  We were on a tiny island and walked the entire thing.   Many people came from the surrounding islands and everyone was selling something....molas, magnets, cold beers, pictures you take with them and their pet bird or lizard, even found the brothel.  If your ship stops here takes lots of $1 because almost everything is a dollar.  Also, we had some good hearted souls that gave books, school supplies, pamphlets or other trinkets to the kids then the kid tried to sell it for $1 to the next person walking by. 

Mostly friendly people, beautiful setting, but trash was floating around the edges of the island.  Bathrooms were on the end of piers...outhouses with holes open to the water below.  We stayed longer than most people and found it interesting to see everyone change out of their native attire into the same type clothes we were wearing, comparing how much money they had made and buying candy and drinks with the money.   It was an good stop and I hope to have a cruise ship stop there again someday,