Tour company for day tour that will pick up at port

retbanker

Can anyone recommend a tour company that will pick up at Civitavecchia port for a day tour that would include no-line entry to the Sistine Chapel. Flexible about remainder of tour--have been to Rome a number of times but just haven't made it to the Chapel. I see many tours but they start in the city. A friend was able to book a tour from the port 7 years ago but that company is no longer in business. Please let me know if you know of a good tour company. Thanks.

RomeinLimo!! I’ve used them on 2 different trips in Rome, Florence & Naples and I’m planning to use them again next June. Great company and if you have a large enough group or find others on your roll call board it’s cheaper than ship shore excursions. They will pick you up at the port and because they are using a van instead I a bus they can drop you off right next to the attraction allowing for more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RomeinLimo!! I’ve used them on 2 different trips in Rome, Florence & Naples and I’m planning to use them again next June. Great company and if you have a large enough group or find others on your roll call board it’s cheaper than ship shore excursions. They will pick you up at the port and because they are using a van instead I a bus they can drop you off right next to the attraction allowing for more time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Everything I've read says we have to buy tickets, etc. Seems more of a driver than a guide. We're looking for someone who will make all those arrangements. Thanks though.

Hi, it might be worth it to compare more companies to see what they offer and what is the cost and terms.

We used this company ( link below) for a transfer from FCO to port and a week later back to the airport.

The price we paid was very reasonable and service provided was excellent. Write to them and see what they offer and compare with the other companies.

There are hundreds of reviews on the TripAdviosor giving them very high marks.

http://www.civitavecchiatransferlimo.com/full-day-tour-from-civitavecchia-to-rome.html

It is not difficult to make a direct booking for the Vatican Museum. I did this a couple of years ago and got a timed ticket. You still have to queue for security but there is no way to avoid that.

The Vatican Museum is so huge that you could spend a good few hours there. Is it worth booking a tour? You would be paying a driver to sit somewhere in his car for a lengthy period of time - or better value to just catch a train to St Peter's station and then visiting from there. A quick taxi to Piazza Navona for a late lunch and then another one to Termini station for the journey back would be easy to secure.

I suspect what the OP is looking for doesn't really exist. The companies that specialize in tours (e.g., getting you the early access to the Vatican, or where guiding is the primary activity) don't pick up/drop off at the port -- why would they?

And the driver services so highly touted here really are not PRIMARILY providers of the type of tour the OP wants. Sure, they can 'arrange' a guide at the Vatican or at the Colosseum, but it's an add-on cost. (And I know I've seen posts about RIL where it was indeed suggested that the poster obtain his/her own tickets.)

This may partly be because there are sufficient tourists IN Rome that book tours -- no need to license a vehicle, which I'm sure is expensive, and retrieve them from the port which is more than an hour away.

And it could also be partly due to Italian regulations which require that a driver be a driver and a guide be a guide. One person cannot provide both services. For cruisers, the transportation need seems to be uppermost for many, hence they use these specialized driver services. Personally, I'd rather get myself to Rome and spend my budget pool on a guide rather than a driver, but many feel the opposite....

OP, if you really want something all-inclusive, you might look into Context Travel for Rome. They provide small (no more than 6 people) private tours and -- last time I remember looking -- they would also arrange pickup from the port at an extra cost. However, they aren't cheap.

We loved stefanorometours. Stefan’s was an excellent guide, took us wherever we wanted in Rome, and served as a guide for all except Vatican museum. There he arranges a separate guide for us.

Also highly recommend allarounditaly.net. Fabrizio was an excellent guide, and our day with him was a lot of fun.

We loved stefanorometours. Stefan’s was an excellent guide, took us wherever we wanted in Rome, and served as a guide for all except Vatican museum. There he arranges a separate guide for us.

Also highly recommend allarounditaly.net. Fabrizio was an excellent guide, and our day with him was a lot of fun.

So, are you saying the Stefano took you inside a site and guided you? Or Fabrizio? Because I think that's what the original poster is looking for -- not just a driver who gives information or an "extra" guide hired at extra expense.

Stefano took us to and inside some of the sites I.i St Peter in Chains and the Quo Vadis site at the catacombs. Also overlooking the baths. Vatican Museums he arranged a guide for us.

Fabrizio was Florence but he also does Rome. In Florence and Tuscany he showed us sites, with exception of the David, which we did ourselves.

Stefano took us to and inside some of the sites I.i St Peter in Chains and the Quo Vadis site at the catacombs. Also overlooking the baths. Vatican Museums he arranged a guide for us.

Fabrizio was Florence but he also does Rome. In Florence and Tuscany he showed us sites, with exception of the David, which we did ourselves.

I'm confused because it's frequently noted that in Italy a driver is not allowed to guide and vice versa per their rules.

I suppose it's possible that for non-commercialized sites a guide might be 'allowed' to accompany you, but for any of the major sites such as the Vatican or Colosseum, they would not be allowed to do so and a separate person would need to be hired.

I'm confused because it's frequently noted that in Italy a driver is not allowed to guide and vice versa per their rules.

I suppose it's possible that for non-commercialized sites a guide might be 'allowed' to accompany you, but for any of the major sites such as the Vatican or Colosseum, they would not be allowed to do so and a separate person would need to be hired.

That is why we had a guide at the Vatican museum. The rest of the places we saw did not need a guide. Having been to Rome before, we did not go to the all the usual places that need a guide. Instead we picked some spots we had not seen before, and enjoyed the city at our own pace.

Joe Banana Limos will pick you up in ports and do awesome tours as LOTS of others have mentioned on this forum. This is where I originally found them and have used them alot since (i go to Italy every year now- Im hooked- its what I work for lol) Also, look at your roll call for tour sharing. Joe Banana Limos offers tour sharing through italytoursharing.com (which also is highly recommended on the board). If you book 3 tours, there is a discount.

If I can recommend one (that has been my favorite to this date) is from Naples. The Positano, Sorrento, Ravello tour with Lunch. So many places you get to see that are truly spectacular with the best food/wine/lemonchello for lunch... Absolutely my favorite tour to date. Happy planning- funnest part for me.

Joe Banana Limos will pick you up in ports and do awesome tours as LOTS of others have mentioned on this forum. This is where I originally found them and have used them alot since (i go to Italy every year now- Im hooked- its what I work for lol) Also, look at your roll call for tour sharing. Joe Banana Limos offers tour sharing through italytoursharing.com (which also is highly recommended on the board). If you book 3 tours, there is a discount.

If I can recommend one (that has been my favorite to this date) is from Naples. The Positano, Sorrento, Ravello tour with Lunch. So many places you get to see that are truly spectacular with the best food/wine/lemonchello for lunch... Absolutely my favorite tour to date. Happy planning- funnest part for me.

While this is great, it's getting kind of far away from what the OP was looking for -- basically a GUIDED tour (with early entry for the Vatican) coupled with transportation to/from port. To me, that's not the same thing as transportation plus an additional special guide at specific sites....

But then again, since the OP hasn't returned, I may be wrong.