Formal nights in Europe - leave the tux at home

TandPfromDE

I would say the “fashion police” is a collective bogey man who dwells largely in the imaginations of people who like to dress casually and are afraid that other people might look down on them.

I say this because virtually every post I have seen which refers to “fashion police” seems to be made by people who mention that they like to dress for comfort and do not like the idea of other people looking down on them.

I do not see posts by people claiming to have the right to judge others for what they wear. This indicates that the “fashion police” is a merely creation of people who claim not to like the “fashion police” —

Have you not ever read any dress code threads on Cruise Critic?

Can they really be referred to as police when in fact no one listens to them?

I would describe them more as self inflated busybodies who truly believe that their actions and their dress represent a standard by which all others should be judged. Sad, really. People like that will always be around. Best to ignore them and get on with it.

Can they really be referred to as police when in fact no one listens to them?

I would describe them more as self inflated busybodies who truly believe that their actions and their dress represent a standard by which all others should be judged. Sad, really. People like that will always be around. Best to ignore them and get on with it.

“Busybody” is closer to what the “fashion police” comments are getting at, I think. The latter is more fun to say, though.

But I think it’s a misunderstanding. Most are merely stating a preference for a certain dress code on some evenings aboard, not criticizing those who do not, or really even caring much that they do not. No one is letting it “ruin their cruise” - such comments are way off the mark.

It seems this topic doesn’t lend itself to looking for subtleties from those considered to be the “opposition”. :)

“Busybody” is closer to what the “fashion police” comments are getting at, I think. The latter is more fun to say, though.

But I think it’s a misunderstanding. Most are merely stating a preference for a certain dress code on some evenings aboard, not criticizing those who do not, or really even caring much that they do not. No one is letting it “ruin their cruise” - such comments are way off the mark.

It seems this topic doesn’t lend itself to looking for subtleties from those considered to be the “opposition”. :)

There have been numerous comments on CC that some passengers 'ruin the ambiance' of the MDR by not dressing to the standard those posters desire, ie, 'ruin their cruise'.

Certain posters are doing far more than stating a preference for a certain dress code when they insist that certain passengers be barred or removed from the MDR.

Some posters also make derogatory comments about how others dress like gardeners (blue jeans), or look like they just came from shopping at Walmart.

Some even state that those who dress casually would be more comfortable in their more formal attire should they lose some weight.

One of our first cruises was on the Amsterdam doing the Baltic. This was about 10 years ago. I wore a dark suit to formal night. However, on the first night as we waited to enter the dining room, there was a lady "openly" questioning why someone with jeans on was being allowed to enter the dining room. The "greeter" told her that the person's luggage had been lost in transit and this was what they had to wear. The lady replied that it did not matter. Rules were rules and the person should be sent to dine in the buffet. WOW.

Hopefully, times have changed.

There have been numerous comments on CC that some passengers 'ruin the ambiance' of the MDR by not dressing to the standard those posters desire, ie, 'ruin their cruise'.

CAN YOU CITE SOME OF THOSE “NUMEROUS COMMENTS” WHERE POSTERS HAVE EVEN TANGENTIALLY SUGGESTED THAT THEIR CRUISE WAS “RUINED” BY THE WAY OTHER PEOPLE DRESSED?

Certain posters are doing far more than stating a preference for a certain dress code when they insist that certain passengers be barred or removed from the MDR.

AGAIN, CAN YOU CITE THOSE POSTS IN WHICH IT IS INSISTED “THAT CERTAIN PASSENGERS BE BARRED OR REMOVED FROM THE MDR”?

Some posters also make derogatory comments about how others dress like gardeners (blue jeans), or look like they just came from shopping at Walmart.

Some even state that those who dress casually would be more comfortable in their more formal attire should they lose some weight

SADLY, TOO MANY CRUISE PASSENGERS WOULD BE MORE COMFORTABLE (AND HEALTHIER) “SHOULD THEY LOSE SOME WEIGHT” - REGARDLESS OF WHAT THEY WORE.

I believe your post indicates that you are a creator of the “fashion police”.

No offense, but there are far more Fashion Police Police in this thread than there are Fashion Police. In fact, there are none. Maybe the Fashion Police Police can retire now.

I think you have stated it rather well: there are far more posts complaining about “fashion police” than posts sounding as though made by people who think of themselves as “fashion police”.

Years ago, when passengers started challenging existing dress codes, there were some who argued that published dress codes should be observed — but that was years ago.

For what it's worth, we just did the Koningsdam Rome to Amsterdam in May and the Gala nights were anything but Formal.

I don't remember seeing any Tuxedos on board, perhaps there were a few somewhere.

Many men were getting by with just a pair of dress slacks and a nice dress shirt with or without tie, it worked for me.

Leave the Tux at Home

Leave the Jacket at Home too!

You can still look nice!

We just returned from an 18-day transatlantic HAL cruise. Prior to the cruise, we read the MANY opinions regarding appropriate attire, including three threads on the topic that were shut down because they became so contentious.

While on the ship, we noted just how much of a non-issue it was, in contrast to how much of an issue it appears to be on the Cruise Critic boards.

(y) :D

Here is a selection of quotes from posters within the first few pages of the recent thread about appropriateness of jeans in the dining room (which HAL specifies as being acceptable in its dress code, subject to Gala Night restrictions):

"Is it really so hard to buy some Dockers pants and polo shirts for the guys?"

"A few want to see just how far they can lower the bar."

"I know for a fact that dressing appropriately for the occasion can be done, if one wants to."

"I think jeans fall into the "casual" category, defiantly (sic) not "smart casual"."

"The ship’s officers dress formally as a sign of respect to the passengers, it seems only reasonable that passengers return the same show of respect in the attire they choose to wear."

"It’s not always about what “you” want. Sometimes it’s nice to consider others."

Edited by bEwAbG

I don't understand the angst on dress code.

If you are dining in the MDR then just follow the dress code. If someone wants to dress more (jacket, suit, tux, dressy dress) there's nothing wrong with that. They are dressing above the dress code.

And, if someone just wishes to meet the minimal requirement, (collared shirt, nice pants, nice pants, skirt, dress for ladies and appropriate top), that's fine too.

Everyone is adhering to the dress code, so what's to worry about?

Those that want to be very casual have room service, Lido, Canaletto, etc and heck it's only a few nights during the cruise.

Much ado about nothing IMO. Live and let live :)

It is much ado about nothing. Does anyone really think that even one person will change their attire based on the comments/opinions on this forum. Doubt it very much. We certainly never did but it is, and has been, a source of entertainment value.

I don't understand the angst on dress code.

The longer this thread goes, the more it resembles a junior high school debate, each side desperately trying to score a point.

As you and the Bard said, much ado about nothing. :)

As you and the Bard said, much ado about nothing. :)

And as Rhett said, "Frankly my Dear ...". This thread has long ago passed the point of boring. I think my tux has had the time to go out of style and come back in style while they are still debating.