AMA Romantic Danube vs Melodies of the Danube

hiccups

Long post, sorry! The introduction of the Concierge Golf program on AmaMagna has got my husband considering another river cruise. Golf is offered as an option on two Danube sailings, Romantic Danube and Melodies of the Danube. The itineraries appear quite similar, but sail in opposite directions. Melodies of the Danube is slightly more expensive (about $250). Romantic Danube offers Prague or Munich as a pre-cruise stay, while Melodies offers Budapest pre-cruise and Prague post-cruise.

The difference I see in the itineraries looks to be at Weissenkirchen. Romantic Danube's lists the day as Weissenkirchen, with excursion choices of Durnstein walking tour and Melk Abbey, Durnstein fortress hike, or apricots and sweets tasting. The evening offers a wine tasting at a local vineyard.

Melodies of the Danube lists the day as Weissenkirchen-Grein, with excursion choices of Highlights of Durnstein and Melk Abbey, Weissenkirchen to Melk bike tour, or Durnstein excursion with wine and apricots tasting. Then it says scenic cruising of the Strudengau Valley, and concludes with an exclusive castle visit with folklore show and sparkling wine reception in Grein.

I think it's a little strange that the cruises and excursions would differ at that port, but possibly it's just a timing difference of sailing with the current versus against it.

Just wondering if anyone's done Romantic Danube and had the biking option at Weissenkirchen, or if anyone has any recommendations for one itinerary over the other.

We were on the cruise that started in Budapest and ended in Prague a few years ago. I can highly recommend the Budapest pre- cruise. We did it on our own rather than the AmaWaterway extension. It is a beautiful city. If you go, be sure and get tickets on line to tour the Parliament building before you go.

Hiccups

This past December (Christmas week) we sailed Romantic Danube - so keeping that in mind....this stop was one of our most enjoyable. We docked early in the morning - did the fortress hike and then walked thru Durnstein. Since it was a day or two? after Christmas there was no one in the town (shuttered) - quaint and wished we had been there pre Christmas. Headed back to the ship for a dinner and then back out out night for a wine tasting at a local winery. Had a terrific guide throughout the day which helped make the day so enjoyable. We docked overnight. The next morning my wife and did the Milk Abbey tour - our two college age daughters did the bike tour. Thinking because it was Christmas week the itinerary may be a bit different then the one you are looking at. Most enjoyable AMA cruise - would do another river cruise in a heartbeat.

Any questions ask away!

Hiccups

This past December (Christmas week) we sailed Romantic Danube - so keeping that in mind....this stop was one of our most enjoyable. We docked early in the morning - did the fortress hike and then walked thru Durnstein. Since it was a day or two? after Christmas there was no one in the town (shuttered) - quaint and wished we had been there pre Christmas. Headed back to the ship for a dinner and then back out out night for a wine tasting at a local winery. Had a terrific guide throughout the day which helped make the day so enjoyable. We docked overnight. The next morning my wife and did the Milk Abbey tour - our two college age daughters did the bike tour. Thinking because it was Christmas week the itinerary may be a bit different then the one you are looking at. Most enjoyable AMA cruise - would do another river cruise in a heartbeat.

Any questions ask away!

So you did have the option of the biking tour from Weissenkirchen to Melk on the Romantic Danube, then. Thank you, good to know! As you said, it might be that it was a Christmas week cruise they might have changed up the excursions. I want to bicycle while my husband plays golf, so having that excursion is important to me, which is why I was leaning towards the Melodies of the Danube. But as people often have a preference for which way to sail (from Amsterdam to Basel, for example), I wasn't sure if that was the case for these ports as well.