Viking Ships on the Rhine

Norvig

There is a Grand European Tour 2018 thread that has several posts in the past 8 weeks that discuss water levels on the Rhine and Danube. From what I can read the Rhine is fully open at the moment. cruisemapper.com is a good resource for finding your particular ship, though Viking has been swapping ships left and right.

I’ve been following the Rhine water levels thread but very few postings from Viking cruisers & I have not noticed a posting re the Viking Hild. The forecast for rain along the Rhine is now 0% for most days.

Don’t expect that you will necessarily be on the ship you originally booked. There have been lots of ship swaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don’t mind a ship swap, I think that is a great idea to help keep folks cruising.. Thanks for the posts. I’ll keep lurking! We’ve done several bus tours but also of the mid that if we are bused we will make the best of the situation no matter how disappointing it will feel.

Your itinerary being a more unusual one you will in all likelihood not hear much of people doing the same one. It is a great way to cruise the two rivers and I am surprised we do not hear more about it. As regards the water levels you are in the same boat (sorry about the pun) as those doing the very popular "Rhine Getaway" itinerary on Viking as all those have to go through the Rhine gorge just like you. So looking at those posts will give you the crucial information.

I am sure you will greatly enjoy the Moselle. It is low like the other rivers but as you know dug out deep.

The Viking Hild is currently in Basel.

Are you doing a pre-cruise or just the standard plane-to-Paris-coach-to-ship?

notamermaid

Thanks Notamermaid. We have 2 days on our own in Paris prior to the tour starting. We have seen many of the main sites in Paris so look forward to a relaxed wandering about. We have prebooked tickets to the Eiffel Tower as we have not been there since 1979! We booked Vikings Montmartre tour as well. We could this on our own but thought we’d take the easy way this time. Sure hope the Hild or any Viking ship makes it to Trier by 24/09.