First River Cruise- Looking for Recommendations

mcmulc

We are planning our first river cruise for 2019. We are considering Viking and AMA Waterways so far but trying to decide whether to just do an 8 day or go for longer like the Grand European cruise that Viking offers. Given the cost of airfare, it seems to be a better option to cruise for longer. We have done numerous ocean cruises but this is our first venture into the river cruise category. Any suggestions?

Another option is to choose an 8 day and do pre- and post- cruise stays in the embarkation and debarkation cities, either on your own (what we do) or through the cruise company, maximizing that air travel time and finding out how you feel about river cruising.

I agree with JKLC. If you decide you don't like river cruising (and some people don't) you're going to be miserable onboard for 2 weeks. I would also expand to more than looking at just two lines, as others can have their own benefits. For example, some have self-service laundry, so you can pack lighter.

Our favorite itinerary we did was a roundtrip flight to Munich. We started with a DIY 2 night stay in Salzburg (2 hr train ride from Munich) then took another 2 hr train to Vienna, where we spent a night before boarding. We sailed from Vienna to Passau. From there, we took the train to Munich (2 hours) where we spent 3 nights before returning home.

Our favorite ship? Uniworld's Joie de Vivre.....she sails Paris to Normandy, round trip.

Whatever you decide, have fun planning!!

Robin

We are planning our first river cruise for 2019. We are considering Viking and AMA Waterways so far but trying to decide whether to just do an 8 day or go for longer like the Grand European cruise that Viking offers. Given the cost of airfare, it seems to be a better option to cruise for longer. We have done numerous ocean cruises but this is our first venture into the river cruise category. Any suggestions?

Having just completed our first river cruise (AmaStella from Basel to Amsterdam), I would agree with the recommendations to limit your first trip to 8 days.

Regarding the cruise line decision: It would help to know which ocean lines you like best and why.

another factor to kick in ... when we did our last river (8 days Budapest to Nurem') we compared airfare to QM2 and guess what

a balcony on QM2 was less than business class air ....

so we went all in .. a few extra days on either side of the river with a trip from Nur' to Hamburg then 9 days on QM2 Hamburg to NYC

You'll find that every cruise line has its supporters and detractors. Do some research, decide what you can and can't live without, and then decide. We have taken 5 river cruises with Viking and have absolutely loved each one. Others find that Viking does not provide enough "active" options like bike rides, serious hikes, etc., although they seem to be adding these options on some cruises. Some cruise lines are all-inclusive, some provide butler service, some include tips, and so on. Only you can know what will make you happy.

I would not advise the Grand European cruise because it goes through all the low-water areas on the Danube, making a ship swap and itinerary changes almost inevitable in low-water years (like this one). If you want a longer river cruise experience, consider taking AMA's Enchanting Rhine or Rhine and Moselle Fairytales (Amsterdam to Basel) then transferring to Vilshofen for their Romantic Danube cruise to Budapest. Because these itineraries don't do the worst low-water stretches and AMA's shallow-draft river ships can sail longer than most other cruise lines, your chances of experiencing the itinerary as advertised would be maximized with this plan.

We are planning our first river cruise for 2019. We are considering Viking and AMA Waterways so far but trying to decide whether to just do an 8 day or go for longer like the Grand European........ Any suggestions?

We feel maximizing time in Europe is a good idea considering the high cost of airfare. Whether you spend two weeks on the ship or divide the time between the ship and hotel stays will have to be your call. We try to arrive a few days early and then spend the full two weeks onboard. We love river cruising and can't imagine giving up the chance to see more places and experience different excursions. You will have to decide which you think you'd prefer.

I would agree with a previous reply advising you to spend some time reviewing exactly what each line offers and then pick the one that best fits your preferences. Before our first R.C. I fully expected to sail with Viking but after researching all the major players we settled on Scenic because we felt their extras were worth the additional cost. Do your homework and I think you'll find which lines fit you best. Good luck with your search.

Paul

Don’t go Crystal. We paid a fortune and Walmart shoppers are treated better. Low water levels on the Rhine.. get they cannot control Mother Nature but they have not communicated any changes in scheduling to us at all. What we here is it has turned into a bus tour. We leave in 4 days and no info. Save money DO NOT go Crystal

Don’t go Crystal. We paid a fortune and Walmart shoppers are treated better. Low water levels on the Rhine.. get they cannot control Mother Nature but they have not communicated any changes in scheduling to us at all. What we here is it has turned into a bus tour. We leave in 4 days and no info. Save money DO NOT go Crystal

Any river cruise can turn into a bus tour, but you're correct that communication is key.

Roz

I agree with the other posters who recommended a shorter river cruise for your first experience and additional time on land both ways. Personally, I am happy with a 7-8 night cruise in general though. I always allow several days pre and post for exploring on our own, although we did buy a pre and post package with the Danube cruise through AMA and were happy that we did. It was a Budapest to Prague trip and we added 2-3 days on either end of the trip. Both cities are so beautiful and have such a rich history that I found myself wishing for an extra day or two in each location.

We have done numerous ocean cruises, big and small and agree that a river cruise is different. We have done the Rhine and Danube with AMA and a land/river cruise to China (Yangtze) with Uniworld.

I have some concerns about using Viking because of their poor handling of the flood several years ago. I was not on a cruise then, but paid attention to numerous posts by cruisers who had different experiences with their cruise company in the same situation. AMA handled it well as did several other lines, Viking did not.

My favorite cruise was the Danube, both for the beauty of the cities, the river and the 20th century history of the area.

I have some concerns about using Viking because of their poor handling of the flood several years ago. I was not on a cruise then, but paid attention to numerous posts by cruisers who had different experiences with their cruise company in the same situation. AMA handled it well as did several other lines, Viking did not.

We were on Viking Rhine Getaway in the spring of 2015 when the river was closed to all traffic for a day or two due to high water levels. Viking took excellent care of our trip. They managed to adjust docking locations and sailing times, and we only missed a couple of excursions, primarily in Rudesheim and some free time in Cologne. No complaints from us! Everyone's reaction to unexpected events is different, guess we are more easygoing than some.

Just in case you haven't seen the items at the top of the river cruising section.... Jazzbeau has some very informative posts that may help you. Also, sign up for River Cruise Advisor. He has some very good cost comparisons on different lines.

We love AmaWaterways, for the reasons listed above, and their food and excursions are very good.

I have to offer a slightly different opinion regarding the preferred length of a first river cruise. I also had read a good bit on CC suggesting that, for a first time, it is better to do a shorter cruise. We decided to do Tauck's Amsterdam to Budapest (2 weeks) for our first river trip and loved it. Actually, when it was over, I sort of wished we had chosen to do the one that went all the way to Bucharest. Maybe if someone has never cruised I could see probably doing a shorter itinerary, but for those who enjoy (a more relaxed pace of) ocean cruising I can't imagine why they wouldn't also like river trips. Another thought, which has already been expressed, is the idea of flying to Europe from the States for only a week or so. With the cost of the airfare, I'd rather be over there closer to 2 weeks.

I realize that a river cruise will be very different and am trying to do my research now. I have only done ocean cruises. Could you tell me what were some of the vocal complaints from ocean cruisers.

I think the entertainment options and basically one dining room with inflexible dining times were the things most complained about.

I would not advise the Grand European cruise because it goes through all the low-water areas on the Danube, making a ship swap and itinerary changes almost inevitable in low-water years (like this one). If you want a longer river cruise experience, consider taking AMA's Enchanting Rhine or Rhine and Moselle Fairytales (Amsterdam to Basel) then transferring to Vilshofen for their Romantic Danube cruise to Budapest. Because these itineraries don't do the worst low-water stretches and AMA's shallow-draft river ships can sail longer than most other cruise lines, your chances of experiencing the itinerary as advertised would be maximized with this plan.

Thanks for the great suggestion! This is definitely an option I will investigate further! What would be the best way to transfer to Vilshofen?

I need to point out that any river cruise that goes from Basel to Amsterdam or vice versa has to sail through the Rhine gorge (unless you carry the ship over land what the Vikings were supposed to have done in the 10th century) which is the shallowest part of the Rhine. But it is not as bad as the stretch on the Danube that is for sure.

To avoid the stretches that are prone to low water one could do Trier (Moselle) to Amsterdam or Cologne - Amsterdam round trip. Or indeed Vilshofen downstream on the Danube. Or choose another one that is not often done: Basel to Nuremberg.

AmaWaterways indeed has a better record in times of low water than some other lines but there is an end to all sailing for the 110m and 135m ships on the Rhine, it can be reached but is rare. This year we have avoided it (so far...).

One can take the train from Basel to Vilshofen but the journey is between 7 and 10 hours so might want to look into flights from Basel or Zurich to Munich.

notamermaid

Thanks for the great suggestion! This is definitely an option I will investigate further! What would be the best way to transfer to Vilshofen?

Hopefully one of our Germany-based posters has better knowledge [edit: I see that notamermaid was typing at the same time I was!], but according to rome2rio.com you can drive (5 hrs 20 min), take a fast train (7 hr 20 min with one change), or fly (1 hr to Linz but then you are still 100 km away from Vilshofen). I would take the train.

The bigger problem may be getting the cruise dates to line up. AMA offers pre-cruise extensions in either Prague or Munich. You could fly to Prague and DIY your own 'extension' to fill the time.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I think the entertainment options and basically one dining room with inflexible dining times were the things most complained about.

Fortunately we are fixed dining time people, and not much into the entertainment. We cruise to relax and recharge, so low key is perfect for us. Thanks for the info!

Inflexible dining times? What line? On our Tauck boat, we could go to dinner whenever we wanted within the timeframe during which dinner was offered.