Our First Port Liberty Experience with EWR

teacherman

Our family just returned from a wonderful cruise on Adventure of the Seas. It was our first time cruising from Port Liberty. I have received a lot of information and advice on this board so I thought I would report back on our experience. We were 8 people: 2 grandparents, 4 adult children, and 2 children, ages 8 and 10. We were celebrating my DW's birthday.

We flew from DTW to EWR on Thursday, June 28, arriving the day prior to the cruise. Our flight from DTW was delayed almost an hour due to weather "back ups". Upon arriving at EWR, we easily found our luggage, and exited to the Uber/Lyft pick up area. We requested 3 vehicles, which arrived within 10 minutes.

It was only about 15 minute ride to our selected hotel, the Jersey City Westin Newport. We had found a good price for breakfast included rooms. Great hotel, great service, great area, and we would definitely return there in the future.

Each family did there own thing that evening. Some easily took the PATH train into Manhattan to view the 911 Memorial and then ride the Staten Island Ferry. Others strolled the area and found nice restaurants for dinner. A sunset walk on the Hudson River Boardwalk was beautiful. We even found a wine store 2 blocks from the hotel.

We checked out of the hotel about 11:30 to head for the ship. Three more Ubers were ordered. The ride was only about 15 minutes, EXCEPT that one Uber driver headed to EWR. Fortunately, we all were texting to make sure all was well. Those arriving at the port early just waited for the "missing" Uber. Traffic entering the port was quite heavy and slow. I was glad I was in a set price Uber and not a metered taxi.

For disembarkation, we had a flight scheduled for 2:45, so we just sat together in a lounge and walked off about 9;15. We were very nearly the last to leave. More Ubers and back to the airport. Easy 15 minute ride. THEN, our flight home was delayed twice, and we spent almost 6 hours in Terminal B of EWR. Not a lot of "ambiance". All Uber rides were about $20.

I thought it all went smoothly. I would cruise from Port Liberty again, but I would NEVER try to fly in on the day of the cruise. THANK YOU to all who offered information and advice. You helped make this a great experience for our family.

Our family just returned from a wonderful cruise on Adventure of the Seas. It was our first time cruising from Port Liberty. I have received a lot of information and advice on this board so I thought I would report back on our experience. We were 8 people: 2 grandparents, 4 adult children, and 2 children, ages 8 and 10. We were celebrating my DW's birthday.

We flew from DTW to EWR on Thursday, June 28, arriving the day prior to the cruise. Our flight from DTW was delayed almost an hour due to weather "back ups". Upon arriving at EWR, we easily found our luggage, and exited to the Uber/Lyft pick up area. We requested 3 vehicles, which arrived within 10 minutes.

It was only about 15 minute ride to our selected hotel, the Jersey City Westin Newport. We had found a good price for breakfast included rooms. Great hotel, great service, great area, and we would definitely return there in the future.

Each family did there own thing that evening. Some easily took the PATH train into Manhattan to view the 911 Memorial and then ride the Staten Island Ferry. Others strolled the area and found nice restaurants for dinner. A sunset walk on the Hudson River Boardwalk was beautiful. We even found a wine store 2 blocks from the hotel.

We checked out of the hotel about 11:30 to head for the ship. Three more Ubers were ordered. The ride was only about 15 minutes, EXCEPT that one Uber driver headed to EWR. Fortunately, we all were texting to make sure all was well. Those arriving at the port early just waited for the "missing" Uber. Traffic entering the port was quite heavy and slow. I was glad I was in a set price Uber and not a metered taxi.

For disembarkation, we had a flight scheduled for 2:45, so we just sat together in a lounge and walked off about 9;15. We were very nearly the last to leave. More Ubers and back to the airport. Easy 15 minute ride. THEN, our flight home was delayed twice, and we spent almost 6 hours in Terminal B of EWR. Not a lot of "ambiance". All Uber rides were about $20.

I thought it all went smoothly. I would cruise from Port Liberty again, but I would NEVER try to fly in on the day of the cruise. THANK YOU to all who offered information and advice. You helped make this a great experience for our family.

Thanks so much for reporting back on your experience! So glad it all worked out really well for your whole family.

$20 is a very reasonable Uber rate to avoid staying in a no ambiance airport hotel if you can find reasonable accommodations in the Jersey City Newport area. PATH is great for running into NYC while staying in a newer waterfront area with spectacular views of lower Manhattan.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, this is very new to me. Can you tell me Did your hotel reception order your "Uber" and did you get a set price when you ordered? Was there a line of "Uber" at the port when you disembarked or did you need to phone? Sounds like you had a great time, great when everything just works.

Hi, this is very new to me. Can you tell me Did your hotel reception order your "Uber" and did you get a set price when you ordered? Was there a line of "Uber" at the port when you disembarked or did you need to phone? Sounds like you had a great time, great when everything just works.

Uber is a cellphone app, you set up an account for yourself attached to a payment method. You order the car, putting in your destination, and you will be given a price and time estimate. You can watch your car while it travels to you on the app, you will be given the make and model of the car, name and picture of the driver.

I don't understand how this is possible given that they have the app running that gives them direction. Also, I thought that Uber did charge waiting time for traffic. I'm fairly sure they did when I used them in Amsterdam.

JFK is no better and probably worse. And there's really no other decent choice for Bayonne.

I agree and understand.

We live in Central Jersey (near Trenton/Princeton) and prefer to use PHL or TTN when possible.

We drive to Bayonne, it is only 75 minutes or so and often times the cruise line pays for our parking so that is not a cost factor, only tolls and gas.

It is not like flying into MIA or FTL, that is for sure.

Thank you for your input and thoughts on this and bon voyage

Uber is a cellphone app, you set up an account for yourself attached to a payment method. You order the car, putting in your destination, and you will be given a price and time estimate. You can watch your car while it travels to you on the app, you will be given the make and model of the car, name and picture of the driver.

We're travelling from Scotland and not sure our phones will work. Can you tell me if their was a line of taxis waiting or if there was someone organising shared transport to Newark Airport? Any help appreciated.

I don't understand how this is possible given that they have the app running that gives them direction. Also, I thought that Uber did charge waiting time for traffic. I'm fairly sure they did when I used them in Amsterdam.

I’ve never heard of uber charging more for traffic, you agree on the fare before the trip. It’s one of the benefits of using Uber over a taxi.

We live in Central Jersey (near Trenton/Princeton) and prefer to use PHL or TTN when possible.

I live an hour+ north of Newark and a couple of times when I was flying to Europe, I discovered that there was a much cheaper fare ($200 less) if I flew out of Philly. Since it was only an extra hour or so drive and I had a late afternoon flight on a Sunday, and I had a rental car with no mileage charge, I booked that. There were 4 of us, I saved $800. And the routing actually had us connecting thru JFK! On the return flight I booked a rental car at JFK and "missed" the connecting flight and drove home from there (we had our luggage already since we needed to go thru customs).

The second time I did this the routing had us going thru Detroit so the "missing the connecting return flight" wasn't going to work. I drove my own car and did a park/sleep/fly deal at a hotel near the Philly airport instead and it was cheaper than 2 rentals.

Those deals seem to have dried up since American bought US Air, or at least I have not found them when I've looked the last couple of years.

We're travelling from Scotland and not sure our phones will work. Can you tell me if their was a line of taxis waiting or if there was someone organising shared transport to Newark Airport? Any help appreciated.

The cruise terminal supposedly has free WiFi, so you should be able to use Uber if you can connect.

I also answered on the thread you started. Yes there will be taxis available. There is also a shared shuttle, and your cruise in all likelihood will offer a bus transfer to the post.