My packing list. Would you add anything?

bbtbear

I've really enjoyed reading your packing list. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that obsesses over the planning and packing for trips. My OCD gets the best of me and I always have spreadsheets for our itinerary (hourly and color coded by activity), spending (including any savings), packing lists, and print outs of every flight confirmation, rental car confirmations, addresses, important phone numbers, etc. All of the information for any given trip is filed away in its own folder on my cloud drive, along with the photos from the trip. This satisfies my obsessiveness and makes it easy to refer back to the trip later.

I have yet to begin my lists and spreadsheets for my December cruise, but I think your list has given me the motivation I need to get started!

You have my sympathies for your loss.

I hope you both make a lot of happy memories on your cruise!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hahaha! I'm glad I'm not alone. We sound very similar, although I file my photos away by month and year. I hope you have a wonderful, extremely organized vacation in December! Solidarity! :champagne-toast:

I would seriously par this list down. Just off The Magic with my 18 year old granddaughter and took carry on only. We each took a 20 inch spinner bag and a small backpack. Ditch the alarm clock, toilet paper, magnetic clips, over the door organizer, duct tape, extra cord for plugging things in....all unnecessary. Washrooms we used on our land tours were all well stocked and for tourists. Plenty of outlets for charging whatever you have. Lots of storage in room and also in the bathroom so over the door organizer is not needed. Used my ipad or phone as alarm but the room also had a phone and you could request a wake up call.

We had packed plenty of clothes including dressy for the evenings. Enjoy your cruise....if you want to pack all that crap and then pack it all home along with your souvenirs, that's up to you.

I would seriously par this list down. Just off The Magic with my 18 year old granddaughter and took carry on only. We each took a 20 inch spinner bag and a small backpack. Ditch the alarm clock, toilet paper, magnetic clips, over the door organizer, duct tape, extra cord for plugging things in....all unnecessary. Washrooms we used on our land tours were all well stocked and for tourists. Plenty of outlets for charging whatever you have. Lots of storage in room and also in the bathroom so over the door organizer is not needed. Used my ipad or phone as alarm but the room also had a phone and you could request a wake up call.

We had packed plenty of clothes including dressy for the evenings. Enjoy your cruise....if you want to pack all that crap and then pack it all home along with your souvenirs, that's up to you.

Thanks for all the advice! I hope you and your granddaughter had a wonderful time together!

While I envy those who can pack for a 7- to 14-day vacation in a carryon only, I can never do it. I can barely pull it off for a weekend getaway. My problem is that I can never pare down my hair and face products to all fit into tiny containers that all fit into a quart-sized Ziploc bag! If they didn't make me put it in just one Ziploc I could do it. I know...some people are just blessed with good skin and great hair and don't need to bring a bunch of "stuff" for them. But I'm too afraid of what I might look like in 20 years to let go of my skin care regime now!

While I envy those who can pack for a 7- to 14-day vacation in a carryon only, I can never do it. I can barely pull it off for a weekend getaway. My problem is that I can never pare down my hair and face products to all fit into tiny containers that all fit into a quart-sized Ziploc bag! If they didn't make me put it in just one Ziploc I could do it. I know...some people are just blessed with good skin and great hair and don't need to bring a bunch of "stuff" for them. But I'm too afraid of what I might look like in 20 years to let go of my skin care regime now!

hahaha such a fair point! One of the reasons I try to stick to Southwest whenever possible is the free checked bags so I don't have to deal with the stress of toiletries fitting in a tiny bag!!!

We would discard the entire list. Packing lists like that are beyond our comprehension. For us, they would take the enjoyment out of travelling. You are not really going on a six month trip to a third world country.

I assume that you will be going to the port in a van or some sort of delivery truck,

We would discard the entire list. Packing lists like that are beyond our comprehension. For us, they would take the enjoyment out of travelling. You are not really going on a six month trip to a third world country.

I assume that you will be going to the port in a van or some sort of delivery truck,

Lol I see what you did there. Again, my packing list is long, but most things on it are extremely compact. This all fits in a medium-sized suitcase and 2 carryons. I'll arrive to port in a cab. :)

While I wouldn't use everything on the list, it really doesn't seem excessive to me. Most items didn't sound like they take much space either, and OP said it all fits into a reasonable amount of luggage she can handle. While not going on a six month trip, they are doing a land vacation following the sea vacation and might need more than you do.

Not having a packing list, not being prepared for most contingencies (especially on a trip where you really don't need added stress), or having to do significant amounts of laundry on a trip because I only packed 3 outfits for 2 weeks would take the enjoyment out of traveling for me.

We all have different cruising styles. Do what works for you, but please don't belittle others who use other methods:)

It won't work for everyone, but a trick I learned was decanting moisturizer into contact lens cases. I was able to have 1 week of facial moisturizer in each "eye" and it barely took any space.

OP- Don't worry about what others have said! Everyone has their own packing and travelling styles, and to each their own. I completely agree with you and don't want to be scrambling for an item that I really needed (and forgot). I've traveled over the years but this will be my first cruise. I think the over-packing for me comes from not just being able to hop in a car and head to the nearest store for whatever I might need. :) I have used your list as a starting point for my own packing list, and have modified it to our needs. I certainly appreciate you sharing with us, and hope you have a fantastic trip with your sister!

While I wouldn't use everything on the list, it really doesn't seem excessive to me. Most items didn't sound like they take much space either, and OP said it all fits into a reasonable amount of luggage she can handle. While not going on a six month trip, they are doing a land vacation following the sea vacation and might need more than you do.

Not having a packing list, not being prepared for most contingencies (especially on a trip where you really don't need added stress), or having to do significant amounts of laundry on a trip because I only packed 3 outfits for 2 weeks would take the enjoyment out of traveling for me.

We all have different cruising styles. Do what works for you, but please don't belittle others who use other methods:)

It won't work for everyone, but a trick I learned was decanting moisturizer into contact lens cases. I was able to have 1 week of facial moisturizer in each "eye" and it barely took any space.

Thanks for standing up in my defense! I had no idea how much my list would irritate some people lol! That's a good idea with the facial moisturizer. I think the worst part of packing is trying to get viscous products like conditioner and moisturizer into little tiny tubes, which is why I am delighted to be flying Southwest to my cruise departure port and can check a bag for free. I can carry full sized toiletries if I darn well please! lol!!!

OP- Don't worry about what others have said! Everyone has their own packing and travelling styles, and to each their own. I completely agree with you and don't want to be scrambling for an item that I really needed (and forgot). I've traveled over the years but this will be my first cruise. I think the over-packing for me comes from not just being able to hop in a car and head to the nearest store for whatever I might need. :) I have used your list as a starting point for my own packing list, and have modified it to our needs. I certainly appreciate you sharing with us, and hope you have a fantastic trip with your sister!

Thanks for standing up as a fellow overpacker! lol! I completely understand the appeal of packing just a carryon bag. I do get it. But for me, it doesn't weigh out against the appeal of having everything I might need and NOT having to find a pharmacy in Belize City because my sister or I got the sniffles and weren't prepared. LOL! I'd rather carry a little extra and build up some muscles than not carry enough and have to sacrifice vacation time and suffer added stress because I wasn't prepared. :)

That's just the amount of little sunscreen I have. I'll have a larger tube as well. The sink stopper came in a laundry kit. The variations of motion sickness cures are because I have no idea if we'll get seasick and, if we do, what remedy will actually help. The toilet paper is just this little roll, like an inch around, that's from my camping gear. Just saw it recommended somewhere and since it weighs nothing and takes up hardly any space, I threw it in. But maybe it's overkill lol! Thanks for the feedback.

You won't need the stopper, the sinks have them to do a little laundry in. Most have laundry services if something really gets ruined, but you are on vacation, so don't worry about laundry. There are some bands that people get for seasickness, but I have hosted a TON of cruises with 100's of guests, rarely does anyone get seasick, the ships have stabilizers under them and you can barely feel them move in the water. Also there is a DR aboard if you get really ill. Alcohol seems to be the cause of most "seasickness", (wink) GO for the toilet paper, I've been in several risky situations on excursions, and always carry extra tissues with me in case. It is your first cruise, we all had one, and you will learn what you needed and what you don't. Once you get the lay of the land so they say. Have a great trip!!!:halo:

My sister and I are taking our first cruise ever in February on the Carnival Dream. We're flying into New Orleans, staying overnight, then boarding the Dream for a 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary. When the cruise ends we will be staying on in New Orleans for 6 extra days through Mardis Gras and on until Friday.

I find it a lot of fun to plan and organize, and I've sort of volunteered to take care of almost every detail in terms of what we need in the room so my sister can just show up and order a drink. :p:pSo to research what we'd need I've watched a ton of videos and read a ton of cruise packing lists and suggestions and started pulling it all together.

I indulged in buying a bunch of packing cubes to help me bring order to the chaos and pack things meaningfully. I've shared below how I've organized different cubes. I'm storing a lot of this stuff already packed into the appropriate cubes so when the cruise gets here I can just move the cubes into suitcases, pack up some clothes and personal items, and hit the road.

I also included here some personal packing lists of things I'll want when I leave my cabin to go to the pool, the beach, a shore excursion, etc.

I intend to do laundry once on the ship, hopefully on the 5th day or later.

Would love to hear feedback if anyone thinks I've forgotten something! :)

Room Packing Cube

Nightlights

travel alarm clock

magnetic hooks

Magnetic clips

ziplock bags

power strips with USB ports

highlighter pens

pen

Sticky notes

rechargeable fan

Duct tape

Sewing Kit

Glasses repair kit

Poopouri toilet spray

mesh shower tote (to hang our stuff in in the shower and to carry it to the spa)

duct tape

Over the door organizer

dish soap

YETI/Straws

door decoration

Beach Bag Packing Cube

6 1oz tubes 30 spf sunscreen

lock bag

wet bag

microfiber towel

waterproof phone case

beach towel chair straps

Luggage/misc. PackingCube

Luggage tags

Sanitizer wipes

Lens cloth

Laundry Packing Cube

Collapsible hamper

Tide for 3 regular washes

Tide for 3 sink washes

Dryer sheets

Bungee clothes line

Sink stopper

clothespins

Downy Wrinkle Releaser

Port Packing Cube

Rain poncho

2 waterproof bags on belts

2 collapsible water bottles with carabiners

bug spray with DEET

Reef safe spf 30 sunscreen

Collabsible tote bag

portable toilet paper

Snorkel Gear

Medical kit

Antibiotic ointment

Antiseptic towelettes

bandaids

bandages

iodine

moleskin

gauze

tape

pepto bismol

tums

scissors

tweezers

thermometer

rehydration salts

Benadryl

decongestant

Tylenol

ibuprofen

motion sickness patches

bonine

ginger candy

Important documents folder for carryon

Passport. Put copy in separate bag

Cruise documents

Excursion documents

email confirming steakhouse reservation

email confirming Chef's Table reservation

Plane ticket info

Hotel(s) info

Land transfers, rental car, bus, etc.

Travel insurance

Emergency #s and addresses for post cards

Travel partner's emergency numbers

Insurance card

Carryon Packing list

Passport

License

Credit cards

Important Documents folder

Phone and charger

Watch

Gum

Snacks

Medication

Pen and small notebook

Camera

Sunglasses

Dollar bills for tipping

Luggage IDs

Lanyard

Rain poncho if weather sketchy

headphones

PJs

Bathing suit and coverup

Outfit for boarding the ship

Lanyard

Camera

Kindle

remote charger(s) for phone

Personal toiletries

makeup

laptop

Overnight bag – add these items to carryon in NOLA hotel for boardingship

Hat/Visor

Binoculars

Beach packing cube

towel

Toiletry bag

sandals

Toiletry bag

Shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/hairproduct/elastics

nail clippers

face products

Eyedrops

Flonase

Allegra

deodorant

Perfume

Lotion

bath pouf

Razor

ear plugs

lanyard

jewelry

Clothes

Dinner outfits for 7 nights

Afternoon outfits/casual outfits for 5 days (One should be an outfit it’s ok to get muddy)

2 nice dresses

2 bathing suits and 2 coverups

underclothes

5 pairs socks

Sneakers, sandals, flipflops (closed toed shoes required for Roatan ATVexcursion)

3 pairs pjs

Small hand bag

Sweater

4 tshirts

Excursion packing list

Beach bag packing cube (see above)

port packing cube (see above)

Lanyard

IDs, cash, visa (if needed)

Camera

snacks and beverages

Change of clothes

Swimsuit

Swimsuit cover

Hair clip/hat

Flipflops/water shoes

Small medical kit (bandaids Neosporin eyedrops)

Sunglasses

small notebook/pen

Chapstick

Dollar bills

watch

cell phone

headphones

Beach bag on sea days packing list

Swimsuit cover

lanyard

Camera

Water bottle

Small notebook/pen

Highlighter

Watch

cell phone

chapstick

Sunglasses

Hat

Lotion

Kindle

Earplugs

headphones

Thought we over packed, don't feel so bad, you have me beat... LOL

My sister and I - 7-day Western Caribbean itinerary...staying on in New Orleans for 6 extra days through Mardis Gras and on until Friday.

Room Packing Cube

magnets or hooks (•••we've been on 7 cruises 3-7 days in length and never needed these but are considering a 10 day cruise and may cave and try them)

ziplock bags

power strips with USB ports

highlighter pens

pen

Poopouri toilet spray

door decoration

Beach Bag Packing Cube

6 1oz tubes 30 spf sunscreen

lock bag

wet bag

waterproof phone case

Luggage/misc. PackingCube

Luggage tags

Sanitizer wipes

Lens cloth

Beach towel clips (••can double as clothes pins)

Laundry Packing Cube

Tide for 3 regular washes

Dryer sheets

Downy Wrinkle Releaser

Port Packing Cube

Rain poncho

bug spray with DEET

Reef safe spf 30 sunscreen

Collabsible tote bag

Snorkel Gear

Medical kit

Antibiotic ointment

Antiseptic towelettes

bandaids

pepto bismol

tums

tweezers

thermometer

Benadryl

decongestant

Tylenol

ibuprofen

motion sickness patches

bonine

ginger candy

Important documents folder for carryon

Passport. Put copy in separate bag

Cruise documents

Excursion documents

email confirming steakhouse reservation

email confirming Chef's Table reservation

Plane ticket info

Hotel(s) info

Land transfers, rental car, bus, etc.

Travel insurance

Emergency #s and addresses for post cards

Travel partner's emergency numbers

Insurance card

Carryon Packing list

Passport

License

Credit cards

Important Documents folder

Phone and charger

Watch

Gum

Snacks

Medication

Pen and small notebook

Camera

Sunglasses

Dollar bills for tipping

Luggage IDs

Lanyard

Rain poncho if weather sketchy

headphones

PJs

Bathing suit and coverup

Outfit for boarding the ship

Lanyard

Camera

Kindle

remote charger(s) for phone

Personal toiletries

makeup

laptop

Overnight bag – add these items to carryon in NOLA hotel for boardingship

Hat/Visor

Beach packing cube

Toiletry bag

sandals

Toiletry bag

Shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/hairproduct/elastics

nail clippers

face products

Eyedrops

Flonase

Allegra

deodorant

Perfume

Lotion

Razor

ear plugs

lanyard

jewelry

••+eye mask

Clothes

Dinner outfits for ••3 nights (••take pieces to mic and match - my biggest regret during cruises is I've brought double the clothes I need)

Afternoon outfits/casual outfits for ••3 days (One should be an outfit it’s ok to get muddy)

2 nice dresses

2 bathing suits and •1 coverups

underclothes

••4 pairs socks (••wash mid week if needed)

Sneakers, sandals, flipflops (closed toed shoes required for Roatan ATVexcursion)

•1 pairs pjs (•wash mid week)

Small hand bag

Sweater

•3 tshirts (•wash mid week)

Excursion packing list

port packing cube (see above)

Lanyard

IDs, cash, visa (if needed)

Camera

snacks and beverages

Change of clothes

Swimsuit

Swimsuit cover

Hair clip/hat

Flipflops/water shoes

Small medical kit (bandaids Neosporin eyedrops)

Sunglasses

small notebook/pen

Chapstick

Dollar bills

watch

cell phone

headphones

Beach bag on sea days packing list

Swimsuit cover

lanyard

Camera

Water bottle

Small notebook/pen

Highlighter

Watch

cell phone

chapstick

Sunglasses

Hat

Lotion

Kindle

Earplugs

headphones

Went through and deleted or modified qty (used •• where I added comments or changed qty) on what I thought would go unused. My biggest regret from cruises in the past was bringing too many clothes. Bring items to mix and match. It's always easy to hand wash or throw a load of laundry in. Check the cruise activities ahead of time and see if there are any theme nights. If you enjoy participating in those make sure you have some fun items to do that :-) some sailings have disco or 80s nights or 50s proms ... they usually post closer to the sailing.

Have a great trip!

You won't need the stopper, the sinks have them to do a little laundry in. Most have laundry services if something really gets ruined, but you are on vacation, so don't worry about laundry. There are some bands that people get for seasickness, but I have hosted a TON of cruises with 100's of guests, rarely does anyone get seasick, the ships have stabilizers under them and you can barely feel them move in the water. Also there is a DR aboard if you get really ill. Alcohol seems to be the cause of most "seasickness", (wink) GO for the toilet paper, I've been in several risky situations on excursions, and always carry extra tissues with me in case. It is your first cruise, we all had one, and you will learn what you needed and what you don't. Once you get the lay of the land so they say. Have a great trip!!!:halo:

Thanks so much for all this info! The sink stopper was in the little travel laundry kit I got, but now I'll feel comfortable leaving it behind! :) I was more worried about seasickness on the day we have to take a tender in to shore than on the big boat. The only time I've ever gotten seasick myself was on a little boat in Jamaica that we were snorkeling from. I wasn't expecting it, but I got pretty green around the gills and that's the truth! lol! And it's lovely to have another vote of confidence in my toilet paper decision! lol!!! I know that I probably WON'T use it, but man will I be glad to have it if I DO need to use it!!! :)

Went through and deleted or modified qty (used •• where I added comments or changed qty) on what I thought would go unused. My biggest regret from cruises in the past was bringing too many clothes. Bring items to mix and match. It's always easy to hand wash or throw a load of laundry in. Check the cruise activities ahead of time and see if there are any theme nights. If you enjoy participating in those make sure you have some fun items to do that :-) some sailings have disco or 80s nights or 50s proms ... they usually post closer to the sailing.

Have a great trip!

Wow thanks so much for taking the time! I'll surely comb through this and see what you thought was needed and what didn't make your list! I also have a little cube that I didn't put on the list above because it was very specific to this cruise. It has mardi gras masks in it because we'll be celebrating mardi gras in New Orleans, plus some 80s tshirts for my sister and I and neon headbands that would be right at home on Madonna circa 1985. Carnival apparently has an 80s party on their ships. :)

Since you are flying in the night before and you’re flying Southwest, is it a possibility to divide and conquer your list a little? Could you pack the items you only need for the land portion of your trip in a separate bag and have the hotel you’ll be staying at store the bag until you return from your cruise? Most of the hotels I’ve stayed in will do that free of charge. Of course, it might be a tiny hassle to get the bag to the hotel before you embark, but then you could potentially have the best of both worlds. Traveling a little lighter but still having access to everything you want/need. The hassle might not be worth it to you, but I always think about ways to travel lighter without sacrificing my peace of mind.

Since you are flying in the night before and you’re flying Southwest, is it a possibility to divide and conquer your list a little? Could you pack the items you only need for the land portion of your trip in a separate bag and have the hotel you’ll be staying at store the bag until you return from your cruise? Most of the hotels I’ve stayed in will do that free of charge. Of course, it might be a tiny hassle to get the bag to the hotel before you embark, but then you could potentially have the best of both worlds. Traveling a little lighter but still having access to everything you want/need. The hassle might not be worth it to you, but I always think about ways to travel lighter without sacrificing my peace of mind.

It's a great thought. I'm actually thinking about something like this. I was thinking of shipping a box to the hotel with instructions to hold for my arrival. I did this when traveling to Ireland once. I was attending a costume party and just did NOT want to deal with trying to pack the costume into my suitcase. So I shipped it ahead and they held it for my arrival. This would probably be more simple than trying to get it to my hotel, as the night we fly into NOLA we are staying way out by the airport, but on our return we are staying for 5 nights at a hotel in the French Quarter. I think we'll probably have enough trouble getting from the airport to the port during Carnival season without having to get into the French Quarter to drop off a bag while all kinds of parades are running across that part of town. So I thought shipping a box would be easier. But honestly, I'm not sure that I'll need to. All of this stuff fits into one medium sized suitcase and 2 carry on bags. I will only have to wrestle all that luggage by myself for very short periods. I have a car taking me to the airport that will drop me off right where curbside check in is. Then when I get there I'll pick up a luggage cart to get me to a taxi. I can get a luggage cart at the hotel. Taxi to the pier, where someone will take my big bag from me as soon as I get out of the car and deliver it to my room for me. Someone will take it away the last night of the cruise, and I'll just need to wrangle it to a curb where I'll catch another cab. And so on. I just don't think it's going to be a big deal. The list looks long, but in reality almost everything on it is extremely light and compact. It looks like more than it is. :)

Great suggestion!

Just a suggestion:

Since you are flying with checked bags, put half your stuff in your sister's checked bag, and she should put half her stuff in your checked bag. That way, if a bag gets lost or delayed, you still have lots of options.

I know that bags don't get lost that often, but if it happens to you, it's awful!

Just a suggestion:

Since you are flying with checked bags, put half your stuff in your sister's checked bag, and she should put half her stuff in your checked bag. That way, if a bag gets lost or delayed, you still have lots of options.

I know that bags don't get lost that often, but if it happens to you, it's awful!

\

I wish that I could!! But she's flying from Phoenix and I'm flying from Newark!!!

For seasickness I would suggest Seabands. I wore them during the day on my cruise. We were heading towards Puerto Rico with hurricane Beryl in the vicinity so waters were pretty rough. It was thought that San Juan would be dropped as one of our ports but Beryl was downgraded to a tropical storm and we were able to make it.

I was very seasick on a cruise to Alaska a few years ago so was a bit anxious as to how this cruise would be. Felt a bit queasy at the beginning but after I put the Seabands on, it seemed to work. I had also packed Bonine but didn't need it. Had a wonderful cruise even with two nights of turbulent water and I am now hooked on cruising!

For seasickness I would suggest Seabands. I wore them during the day on my cruise. We were heading towards Puerto Rico with hurricane Beryl in the vicinity so waters were pretty rough. It was thought that San Juan would be dropped as one of our ports but Beryl was downgraded to a tropical storm and we were able to make it.

I was very seasick on a cruise to Alaska a few years ago so was a bit anxious as to how this cruise would be. Felt a bit queasy at the beginning but after I put the Seabands on, it seemed to work. I had also packed Bonine but didn't need it. Had a wonderful cruise even with two nights of turbulent water and I am now hooked on cruising!

Nice! I have the bands, too, although I forgot to put them on the list here. :)