Disembark at port before final destination?

sonavogel

Hi, fellow CC'ers~

My question most likely has been asked (and answered) before, but I was unable to choose the proper tag words to get posts that relate. So please forgive me if this is a "been there/done that" issue:

Will a cruise line allow you to disembark (for good) at a port that is not its final destination?

If I embarked with just a large carry-on, for instance, and did not require a baggage check-in at the time I came aboard, and if (for example) the cruise begins in Los Angeles, transits the Panama Canal, and continues on to Ft. Lauderdale, New York City, and--as its final destination--Boston...then may I get off at New York City with my carry-on and end my cruise at that point if I wish?

It seems self-evident that I could. After all, some people get left behind when they stay too long at a port; so it would seem likely that others could do that deliberately. But I was wondering if the cruise line would raise an objection if I were to let them know that this was deliberate on my part (I'd want them to know so they wouldn't assume I'd been left behind and go to any trouble trying to contact me or my emergency contact).

Anyone have any experience with this one?

Thanks!

Best, Sona

Sona, my recommendation is to contact the cruise line.

Do not, I repeat do not rely on past experience.

The reason I say all this is on a recent cruise we had inquired about getting off at a particular port on a future itinerary we were looking at a senior officer explained to us that USA customs and immigration was frowning on this and that they would have to check to see if this can be done.

Again, check with the cruise line. And if they say yes make the arrangements with them while at home and reconfirm them very early on during the cruise. Try to get the confirmation for this in writing when you check on this from home.

Keith

You will not have a problem with this. They may have others doing the same thing. Your cruise satisfies the PVSA by calling at a distant foreign port, so you could get off anywhere in the US. Just make sure you coordinate with the cruise line. EM

Three very sensible responses, and I thank you. :)

I will do exactly that, in advance, when I'm planning to book a cruise that creates that kind of positioning situation.

There are a number of cruises, and cruise lines, that offer interesting itineraries--but they do not begin in my home port of NYC; some of them have NYC as a port close to the end (or to the beginning) of the itinerary, however, and I'd often rather be able to get off (or on) at NYC than have to travel one port farther and fly home--or, if it's at the front end of a cruise, fly to the embarkation port and then be cruised back to my home before the cruise continues on.

But I did understand what you wrote about the laws regarding foreign ports, so I will bear that in mind as well.

Thank you again!

Best, Sona

Edited by sonavogel

Last cross Atlantic we did, we left the ship in Valencia, the port before end port which was Barcelona.

All that was needed, was an email to RCCL where I asked if I could do this..... and a verification when I came aboard that the ship had this information also.

Apparently they have regularly requests for this.

Of course, you still have to pay for the full cruise

Cheers, Erex

Last cross Atlantic we did, we left the ship in Valencia, the port before end port which was Barcelona.

All that was needed, was an email to RCCL where I asked if I could do this..... and a verification when I came aboard that the ship had this information also.

Apparently they have regularly requests for this.

Of course, you still have to pay for the full cruise

Cheers, Erex

There's a big difference when cruising in European ports. The US has laws that might preclude a passenger from leaving a ship early. Also, in some European ports, there are cabotage laws that prohibit such a thing from happening.

OP, you will have to pay for the full cruise, as they don't prorate cruises. But if it's only a day, it shouldn't be all that much. Plus, the cruise line will have to make special arrangements with US Customs and Immigration to allow you to disembark early.

Edited by kitty9

.....Will a cruise line allow you to disembark (for good) at a port that is not its final destination?
The answer would depend on the itinerary and at which port you want to get off.

If I embarked with just a large carry-on, for instance, and did not require a baggage check-in at the time I came aboard, and if (for example) the cruise begins in Los Angeles, transits the Panama Canal, and continues on to Ft. Lauderdale, New York City, and--as its final destination--Boston...then may I get off at New York City with my carry-on and end my cruise at that point if I wish?
For this itinerary, the answer would be Yes! You can even do it if you have a full set of luggage to take off with you. It would make no difference whether or not you checked in baggage at the time you came aboard.

But, as others have pointed out, it is important to arrange permission in advance to do this. Preferably get it in writing to avoid any confusion because you will need to clear customs at your disembarkation port.

We have even done this where we just unloaded some suitcases at a port before the final one and needed to get customs clearance for them.

For an itinerary such as the one you describe, there will probably be other passengers doing the same thing.

The answer would depend on the itinerary and at which port you want to get off.

For this itinerary, the answer would be Yes! You can even do it if you have a full set of luggage to take off with you. It would make no difference whether or not you checked in baggage at the time you came aboard.

But, as others have pointed out, it is important to arrange permission in advance to do this. Preferably get it in writing to avoid any confusion because you will need to clear customs at your disembarkation port.

We have even done this where we just unloaded some suitcases at a port before the final one and needed to get customs clearance for them.

For an itinerary such as the one you describe, there will probably be other passengers doing the same thing.

To expand on this; the reason you can get off is because while the cruise itself is US-US, it makes a foreign distant port stop.

We have disembarked prior to our final US port.

We cleared this with the cruise line insisting on getting their clearance in writing.

When we boarded we informed the Purser's office. The office may or may not have all of the paperwork from the home office until a few days into the sailing so don't get frustrated with the desk people.

The Purser's staff will tell you when you can disembark. They arrange C & I and you are at their whim. Be prepared to debark when directed.

Once you leave the ship you cannot return. Our sea pass cards were taken. This means that if you can't transport your luggage at one time, sorry you cannot go back to retrieve it. I realize you stated you'd only have a carry on but be sure you can handle it throughout the entire process. That may involve ramps and/or those metal steps aside the ship.

Enjoy your cruise and your NYC disembarkation.

• 6 years later...

We would be traveling from UK to NY but would like to disembark in Halifax - Canada. Coming from a European country (and a US Citizen) which require no visa to visit Canada, would anyone foresee problems disembarking one stop early? (NCL)

We would be traveling from UK to NY but would like to disembark in Halifax - Canada. Coming from a European country (and a US Citizen) which require no visa to visit Canada, would anyone foresee problems disembarking one stop early? (NCL)

There SHOULD be no problem, but it must be set up with the cruise line in advance. They will have to amend their passenger manifest and arrange with Canadian authorities for you to be processed into Canada at Halifax. You will, of course, pay the full fare, as the line will not be able to sell your cabin for the unused portion of the itinerary.

I know Celebrity has arranged for passengers on T/A’s to debark in Boston and New York from a sailing terminating in Florida.

We have disembarked early on a Transatlantic from US to Europe.

We have also disembarked in ATHENS, flown to Santorini where we stayed for several nights before rejoining the ship. Both times we contacted our travel agent who obtained written permission from cruise line. You will need to show letter to pursers office once onboard. As others have said, there is no reduced rates. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many thanks to all for your help. Only bit that still kind of lingers on my mind is how to get a few hefty pieces of luggage of the ship and onto land - me and the wife being of some advanced age (!) we can still handle normal off-the-plane disembarkation. This will be a first... walking the plank!

Many thanks to all for your help. Only bit that still kind of lingers on my mind is how to get a few hefty pieces of luggage of the ship and onto land - me and the wife being of some advanced age (!) we can still handle normal off-the-plane disembarkation. This will be a first... walking the plank!

One other thing to consider: ships don't always make every port on an itinerary so have a back up plan just in case. For example, there were 40 passengers on our Quebec City to Fort Lauderdale cruise a few years ago who had received permission to disembark in Charleston, SC. We were within sight of the dock when the captain announced that he, in consultation with the local pilot, had determined that a serious storm was headed to Charleston and it would be necessary to cancel the stop (it was better for the ship to be at sea than tied to the dock when the storm hit). The next port was Fort Lauderdale and all those passengers had to arrange transportation back to South Carolina.

When we have done disembarkations a day early (this is much more common in Europe) the ship's staff took care of getting our luggage off the ship. Others prefer to carry fall their own luggage. If you get approval for the early disembarkation (remember to ask in advance, do in in writing (e-mail is fine) and keep a record of all correspondence and take it with you on the cruise). Once aboard your cruise wait a day or two for the crowds to disappear from Guest Services (always busy the first day of a cruise) and then stop by Guest Relations to make sure they know your intentions (our experience has been that they are not always notified by the home office). At that time you can ask for them to help with your luggage and they will give you instructions.

By the way, at least one cruise line (Celebrity) is now charging an outrageous fee for these early disembarkations. They should almost be paying the cruisers since they feed them one less day.

Hank

That was my impression - that perhaps on the other side of the Atlantic they might be a wee bit more stringent, especially with customs and immigration concerns these days. Will take everyone's advice and eventually come back with more concrete answers of my own. Many thanks to everybody.

• 1 month later...

Hi, How does it work if I get on in Canada and get off in USA at the first USA port?

Wikipedia says PVSA says "No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $762) for each passenger so transported and landed"

I am going to get off at the first US port so it should be ok, right?

On Canada Side - Coasting Trade Act

The Coasting Trade Act reserves the carriage of goods and passengers between two points in Canada.

So that should be ok too right?

Thanks, Polo

Hi, How does it work if I get on in Canada and get off in USA at the first USA port?

Wikipedia says PVSA says "No foreign vessels shall transport passengers between ports or places in the United States, either directly or by way of a foreign port, under a penalty of $200 (now $762) for each passenger so transported and landed"

I am going to get off at the first US port so it should be ok, right?

On Canada Side - Coasting Trade Act

The Coasting Trade Act reserves the carriage of goods and passengers between two points in Canada.

So that should be ok too right?

Thanks, Polo

As long as the port you get on the ship and the port you get off the ship are not 2 different US ports, you're fine.

One thing - you MUST contact the cruise line before your cruise and clear your early departure. Sometimes the cruise line will not allow it (not for PVSA reasons).

As long as the port you get on the ship and the port you get off the ship are not 2 different US ports, you're fine.

Not correct --- 2 different US ports are OK, as long as there is an intervening distant foreign port. There are many California to Florida (and vice versa) Panama Canal itineraries, for example.

Not correct --- 2 different US ports are OK, as long as there is an intervening distant foreign port. There are many California to Florida (and vice versa) Panama Canal itineraries, for example.

Well, OP asked about getting on in Canada and getting off in US. I figured it was a New England cruise. Or, maybe a west coast cruise. Not a whole lot of distant foreign ports in those areas.

Well, OP asked about getting on in Canada and getting off in US. I figured it was a New England cruise. Or, maybe a west coast cruise. Not a whole lot of distant foreign ports in those areas.

You should read OP’s post - which raised the question of boarding in California and debarking at a U S east coast port after coming through Panama Canal.

Also. If he HAD been talking about boarding in Canada and debarking at a U S port, there would be no need for a foreign port.