stone island

bronxboy683

Stone Island is actually a peninsula and you could take a taxi on land. It would take several hours. Why not just take the ferry near the cruise port for less than five bucks, round trip? It is only a few hundred yards across the inlet. A 15 minute walk across the sand will give you a look at the many fine establishments to have lunch, including the famous Lety's

• Like 3

Here are some details on getting to Stone Island from the cruise terminal. We really enjoy Stone Island and try to get over there whenever we visit Maz. :)

Directions to Stone Island Mazatlán:

- Mazatlán is an industrial port, and as such, you will need to take one of the complimentary trams from the cruise ship to the cruise terminal. Once you arrive at the terminal, work your way through the vendors and cab drivers to the pier exit

- As you exit onto the city street turn left and walk along the concrete port wall about 4 blocks

- At this point, the street curves to the right and you will notice a gate that marks the entrance to the Mexican Navy on your left

- Do not turn, but cross the street and continue straight ahead onto a dirt road. Follow this dirt path about 50 yards to a small yellow building which is the ticket booth for the water taxi

- Purchase a round trip ticket for 20 pesos ($2 US) making sure to keep your ticket for the return trip

- Board the water taxi for your short ride across Navigation Channel

- Once you get to the other side, walk forward over a small mound, follow the path that turns slightly left and the wide expanse of beach lined by palapa restaurants is in full view

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Martini Mom said:

Can you get a taxi or some sort of other transportation to the ferry? My husband doesn't walk well.

I'm sure you could. We've never done it, but we always see taxis everywhere near the terminal entrance/exit waiting for fares.

4 hours ago, Martini Mom said:

Can you get a taxi or some sort of other transportation to the ferry? My husband doesn't walk well.

My wife doesn't walk too well either.  I asked a taxi (golf cart) to take us there, and was told "not far enough, no."  I offered $5 and the answer was no.  I offered $10, and that solved the problem.  $10 is far too much, but I didn't want to waste time arguing.  

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

My wife doesn't walk too well either.  I asked a taxi (golf cart) to take us there, and was told "not far enough, no."  I offered $5 and the answer was no.  I offered $10, and that solved the problem.  $10 is far too much, but I didn't want to waste time arguing.  

Typical of negotiating taxi fares in Mexico. Tell them what you want to pay, and go from there.. :classic_rolleyes:

On 11/24/2018 at 2:40 PM, Martini Mom said:

I might just buy the excursion for Johann and Sandra. They will pick us up right at the cruise terminal and their price isn't bad.

When are you going? My group decided on their tour when we go in February.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, Martini Mom said:

I might just buy the excursion for Johann and Sandra. They will pick us up right at the cruise terminal and their price isn't bad.

Do they have a website??  We often go to Stone Island (Lety's in particular) but usually take the "ferry".  This year my knees are not so good so was looking for an alternative that would also get us to Lety's.  Thanks.

Yes, the have a site, but not sure I can post it. They are a good size company and operate in many ports. We've used them (Johann and Sandra ;)) before and loved it, especially for the price. My husband has MS and can't walk the distances that we take for granted.  This tour eliminates that and provides a boat tour, which we love. It has all of the elments we're looking for and for a very reasonable price 

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/30/2018 at 11:26 PM, Martini Mom said:

Yes, the have a site, but not sure I can post it. They are a good size company and operate in many ports. We've used them (Johann and Sandra ;)) before and loved it, especially for the price. My husband has MS and can't walk the distances that we take for granted.  This tour eliminates that and provides a boat tour, which we love. It has all of the elments we're looking for and for a very reasonable price 

I know it's been a while, but did you use Johann and Sandra? I am thinking about booking with them. Myself, my dh and kids can all walk with no issues, but my mom can't. And honestly, if it includes all alcoholic beverages and food, it will be easier on me anyway, with three young adults.  How was it?

On 9/1/2018 at 5:31 AM, riffatsea said:

You take a "water" taxi to get there . You walk out of the cruise port to the left.

There will be local volunteers who can point the way to the water taxi area. It is a couple of blocks and then down a path to the water.

No need to whisper Riff :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 10/2/2019 at 10:39 PM, tanyaewa said:

Has anyone done the stone Island excursion with J & S lately.

we are heading in a few weeks....

4 hours ago, lstrong said:

I would like info on J and S as welll!  Can you book them At the port?  Thanks. Laurie

I did the Stone Island tour with them back in February. If i were to go back, I'd book it again. It was so much fun. Tip the bar tender up front, and you'll be wobbling out be the end. 😉