Cruise Report re. late June/ early July Radiance OTS

Sailed June 29th on Radiance of the Seas (Vancouver to Seward Alaska)

Only our 4th cruise, but definitely our favorite!

BTW...the "our" is myself, my wife and our 16 yr old daughter.

We loved the natural beauty of Alaska...............really enjoyed the shows in the ship's Aurora Theater.

The Main Dining Room food and service was great (as always with Royal Caribbean).

The weather was beautiful for each and every port of call.

I enjoyed attending karaoke 3 times (and I sang at two of three times I attended)

This cruise is the first time that we ever went to the "limited seating theater".

Very nice.....very relaxing.

Our room on Deck 9 was quiet.....when it was time to sleep our hallway neighbors were seemingly just sleeping as well.

The only negative thing was that during the 2 formal nights the Pop/Rock Band was performing right next to the photo shoots on the elegant staircase. During both Night 2 and Night 6 the photographer tried to direct me: Put your arms like this....stand angled like this....put your hand in your pocket....etc.....but the band is right there on top of us and I can't hear the photographer. Oh well, he modeled most of it and I eventually got it. My wife loves the formal photography photos and we purchased some just like the other 3 cruises. LOL....don't know where they are going to go on the already crowded walls....but whatever :)

I welcome anyone with feedback...especially on all the positive things I shared in the beginning and middle of this cruise report.

I would think you will be AOK- especially with the caveats below:

1) A -list or A list Preferred lines are very small for bag check and will be a lifesaver

2) TSA Pre check wouldn't hurt (I refuse to join up but here it could help)

3) take a cab from ship

4 )early disembark

I try to get out earlier every cruise from FLL as I hate spending time there. Ultimately for me I use frequent flier miles so while I don't want to miss a flight it will not kill me financially ifit happens.

Ultimately I think that is the biggest factor- if I miss my flight what are the consequences.

Good luck!

I would think you will be AOK- especially with the caveats below:

1) A -list or A list Preferred lines are very small for bag check and will be a lifesaver

2) TSA Pre check wouldn't hurt (I refuse to join up but here it could help)

3) take a cab from ship

4 )early disembark

I try to get out earlier every cruise from FLL as I hate spending time there. Ultimately for me I use frequent flier miles so while I don't want to miss a flight it will not kill me financially ifit happens.

Ultimately I think that is the biggest factor- if I miss my flight what are the consequences.

Good luck!

@chisoxfan, you accidentally answered someone else's question on my Radiance of the Seas Cruise Report.

You may wish to find the thread you were looking at and try again. Take Care :)

I still welcome any comments on my OP stuff above.....thanks :)

Hubby and I will be boarding the Radiance - Northbound Alaska this Friday! I can't wait! We are doing a 3-day inland post cruise tour thru RCI also.

1. How was the temp on the upper deck while cruising?

2. Did you do any excursions?

3. How were the shows?

4. Did you have VOOM? If so, how was it?

5. Did your cell phones have signal in the ports?

6. Did the 17+ hours of daylight mess with your head?

7. Did you have a balcony? Could you see marine life from the ship?

I'm sure I will think for more...:halo:

@whitsmom 1. Our temps were said to be "though the roof" above average. Words like lovely and glorious were used.

....7 day cruise. 3 days high in the upper 70s.....2 days hit 80....2 days highs in the mid to upper 60s // At sea evenings you will want something like a sweater or a windbreaker, etc.

2.We always got off the ship but we only paid Royal Caribbean once for an "official excursion". That was at Skagway.....a bus....to a boat...to another bus....to a canoe....we canoed up to a glacier...got out and walked right up to the face of the glacier// In port of call #1 (Ketchikan) as soon as you get off the boat there is a chance to purchase many excursions. We chose RIDE THE DUCKS.....their bus takes you around town....we had a delightful girl as the guide .....the bus eventually pulls up to the water and the wheels retract....now it's a boat. 90 minute tour. Very cool!

3.My fourth cruise in my life...not a huge amount, but for what it's worth, the shows on this cruise were the best of the 4 I've been on.

4. We did not pay for wifi. Once the ship sailed we were without internet. We did live to tell the tale :)though

5.The cell phones work in the ports of call. Unfortunately my T Mobile Plan covers Canada, Mexico and the US's lower 48. My T Mobile plan did not/does not cover Alaska. I could use the phone IF I wished to pay "roaming" charges.

Check with your cell provider BEFORE you sail so you know what is and what is not covered.

6. We had an inner stateroom on Deck 9. Quiet. Slept like a log.

7. No balcony. There was a dolphin that I and many people around me saw. Another time someone shouted "look" but when i came along side that person I did not see anything.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

@chisoxfan, you accidentally answered someone else's question on my Radiance of the Seas Cruise Report.

You may wish to find the thread you were looking at and try again. Take Care :)

I still welcome any comments on my OP stuff above.....thanks :)

Have no idea how that happened. Was looking for Rhapsody of the Seas Posts (our first RCCL cruise), came across post on timing a flight from FLL and thought I would offer my comments.

Anyway sorry to 'interrupt' this post!

Hubby and I will be boarding the Radiance - Northbound Alaska this Friday! I can't wait! We are doing a 3-day inland post cruise tour thru RCI also.

1. How was the temp on the upper deck while cruising?

2. Did you do any excursions?

3. How were the shows?

4. Did you have VOOM? If so, how was it?

5. Did your cell phones have signal in the ports?

6. Did the 17+ hours of daylight mess with your head?

7. Did you have a balcony? Could you see marine life from the ship?

I'm sure I will think for more...:halo:

Feel free to ask more questions. Scroll up a bit. I answered your 7 questions above....in this thread's post #5.

Have no idea how that happened. Was looking for Rhapsody of the Seas Posts (our first RCCL cruise), came across post on timing a flight from FLL and thought I would offer my comments.

Anyway sorry to 'interrupt' this post!

No problem. Sometimes weird stuff happens and it can't be explained.

Anyone else have feedback re the Radiance of the Seas?

On July 10th @whitsmom asked me 7 questions (Post #4 above)

On July 10th, 1 hr and 7 minutes later I posted my 7 answers. (Post #5 above)

Never heard a word after that.

Disappointing.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

Sailed June 29th on Radiance of the Seas (Vancouver to Seward Alaska)

I welcome anyone with feedback...especially on all the positive things I shared in the beginning and middle of this cruise report.

I need to book a weeks worth of specialty dining reservations as soon as I board. Do you recall where I should head to

after getting onboard?

I need to book a weeks worth of specialty dining reservations as soon as I board. Do you recall where I should head to

after getting onboard?

Ya know....the "booking when you get on board" thing caught me by surprise. My two prior Royal Caribbean cruises I had experienced did not have that policy. When preparing for this cruise I told my travel agent I wanted 5:30pm reservations within the "My Time Dining" and I thought we would be seated around then. Yet people far behind us in line held up white cards and were pulled out of line and brought to their tables. We were clueless because WE also had a reservation (but didn't know the travel agent was not adequate). What were these magical white cards and why was I excluded??? LOL :)

So naturally I asked multiple employees and a couple of guests and discovered the RELATIVELY new policy (maybe 4 months old?) of booking when you get on the ship the first day :o:o:confused:

SO THE NEXT MORNING AT 9AM I WENT TO SEE THE HOSTESS AT THE CASCADES DINING ROOM. She was at her reception podium. Starting that day I got my magic white reservation cards delivered to my stateroom. Next time I'll know.

SO I WOULD GUESS THAT YOU GO TO THE HOSTESS's RECEPTION PODIUM ON DECK 3 or DECK 4.....TRY DECK 4 Cascades Dining Room first.

Edited by SSBrickNJ

Someone on a recent Alaskan trip said they had crab legs the last night in the Windjammer. Do you know if there were also crablaegs on the Radiance? Thanks

My wife likes crablegs but she said she never saw any at the Windjammer.

Ya know....the "booking when you get on board" thing caught me by surprise. My two prior Royal Caribbean cruises I had experienced did not have that policy. When preparing for this cruise I told my travel agent I wanted 5:30pm reservations within the "My Time Dining" and I thought we would be seated around then. Yet people far behind us in line held up white cards and were pulled out of line and brought to their tables. We were clueless because WE also had a reservation (but didn't know the travel agent was not adequate). What were these magical white cards and why was I excluded??? LOL :)

So naturally I asked multiple employees and a couple of guests and discovered the RELATIVELY new policy (maybe 4 months old?) of booking when you get on the ship the first day :o:o:confused:

SO THE NEXT MORNING AT 9AM I WENT TO SEE THE HOSTESS AT THE CASCADES DINING ROOM. She was at her reception podium. Starting that day I got my magic white reservation cards delivered to my stateroom. Next time I'll know.

SO I WOULD GUESS THAT YOU GO TO THE HOSTESS's RECEPTION PODIUM ON DECK 3 or DECK 4.....TRY DECK 4 Cascades Dining Room first.

We sail next June. I was able to book our dinner time and specialty lunch ( the money was taken out already). I booked these on Royal's website. So maybe it is different next year? I hope so!

We sail next June. I was able to book our dinner time and specialty lunch ( the money was taken out already). I booked these on Royal's website. So maybe it is different next year? I hope so!

This was only my 3rd Royal Caribbean cruise and the first where you had to pick your table once you are on board. If you booked the TIME it does not mean you will be seated at that time unless you select your TABLE once you are on board the first day. Royal Caribbean seems to want to know if you want to: # 1 only be seated with your immediate loved one(s)...or #2 be seated at a GROUP table with others.

That was my impression based on my limited experience.:confused:

I'd appreciate if anyone "in the know" would confirm or refute what I've said. I just want the questioner to be given the correct info. Thanks! :)

Did you do a land tour? I do have questions about the land tours. I am assuming the Radiance is the same as her sister ships. We are very excited to go back to Alaska.

It might be good if you started your own independent thread on Radiance of the Seas Land Tours.

It's easy and you'll get many more responses then asking a question in the middle of this thread.

It might be good if you started your own independent thread on Radiance of the Seas Land Tours.

It's easy and you'll get many more responses then asking a question in the middle of this thread.

Thanks for the info. I asked if you did a land tour, asked in the middle of a Radiance / Alaska thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the info. I asked if you did a land tour, asked in the middle of a Radiance / Alaska thread.

OK. I did the land tour Royal Caribbean called: "Destination Denali"...Royal Caribbean assigned it the code "11A"

It was a mixed bag for ME. Some really liked it. I was frustrated that this two day tour had such large chunks of time on a bus and not as much time as I expected at the actual attractions. The train ride with the panoramic glass ceiling made it worth it. I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth because I still feel conflicted over how to review that land tour.

BTW....To start your own thread, you would select "Royal Caribbean"....when the page loads there is a big blue and white rectangle that says "New Thread". Just "tick" that rectangle and ask your question......if you want. I'm just tryin' to help you get more voices than just mine. Take care :)

OK. I did the land tour Royal Caribbean called: "Destination Denali"...Royal Caribbean assigned it the code "11A"

It was a mixed bag for ME. Some really liked it. I was frustrated that this two day tour had such large chunks of time on a bus and not as much time as I expected at the actual attractions. The train ride with the panoramic glass ceiling made it worth it. I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth because I still feel conflicted over how to review that land tour.

To start your own thread, you select "Royal Caribbean"....when the page loads there is a big blue and white rectangle that says "New Thread". Just "tick" that rectangle and ask your question......if you want. I'm just tryin' to help you get more voices than just mine. Take care :)

My question is did you meet on the ship or outside on the pier for the tour? We have 10 A booked.

I have been a member of CC since 2005( before my first cruise) . I know how to start a thread. I just wanted your experience since you sailed the same ship that we are going to sail. Thank you

My question is did you meet on the ship or outside on the pier for the tour? We have 10 A booked.

I have been a member of CC since 2005( before my first cruise) . I know how to start a thread. I just wanted your experience since you sailed the same ship that we are going to sail. Thank you

We did Tour 9B and I posted a ton of information about the tour experience in my review:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2650720

Hope this helps.

The night before, everyone was given a location to report before leaving the ship in the early morning. Our land tour group met in the Colony Club Lounge at 6:40am. Once "attendance" was done we walked off the ship and met the tour guide on the land just at the bottom of the ramp. There were many land tours so we had to read the signs they were holding and then line up with the appropriate tour leader.

When preparing for this cruise I told my travel agent I wanted 5:30pm reservations within the "My Time Dining" and I thought we would be seated around then. Yet people far behind us in line held up white cards and were pulled out of line and brought to their tables....I WENT TO SEE THE HOSTESS AT THE CASCADES DINING ROOM.

Thank you for your answer but what I wanted to know is where to go for reservations in the specialty dining venues ie:

Chops, Giovanni's, Samba etc. Did you happen to see where those reservations are made?

The night before, everyone was given a location to report before leaving the ship in the early morning. Our land tour group met in the Colony Club Lounge at 6:40am. Once "attendance" was done we walked off the ship and met the tour guide on the land just at the bottom of the ramp. There were many land tours so we had to read the signs they were holding and then line up with the appropriate tour leader.

Perfect. This is exactly what I wanted to know. The reason is we plan to meet up with the tour and then go on a wildlife tour on our own. We stay the first night in Seward.

Thank you for your answer but what I wanted to know is where to go for reservations in the specialty dining venues ie:

Chops, Giovanni's, Samba etc. Did you happen to see where those reservations are made?

You can call and make those reservations, or just make them on the ship. On our cruise, there was no problems getting into the specialties. We would make our reservations on the same day that we decided to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums