Freighter Travel - Europe / South America

Okay, so it's not exactly cruising as we know it - but has anyone ever taken a transatlantic freighter or completed a Europe / South America route? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

jeanaa

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also you might contact a New York agent...Maris Freighter and Specialty Cruises, 1320 State Route 9, Champlain, NY 12919. I get a monthly mag. from them and they seem to be the experts in USA for freighter and container ship travel.

Good luck

• 11 months later...
Okay, so it's not exactly cruising as we know it - but has anyone ever taken a transatlantic freighter or completed a Europe / South America route? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

jeanaa

i m loking aswal for a freighter from europe to south america (brasil) after 14.nov.08. do you know how to find?

• 5 weeks later...

Google Freighter travel and lots of info will pop up. Ordinarily they take 12 passengers-- more and they require a doctor on board. Age limit...79 on some. I've done Around the World on the Oriental Carnaval cargo liner (200 passengers) many years ago. MANY. I preferred freighters for the exotic itineraries and "surprises"...once itinerary changed so had to disembark in Trieste and offered air fair to scheduled destination...Amsterdam. Instead, we flew to Israel and took our sweet time getting home. I enjoyed a Meditterean on the Lykes line (containers) in the '90's for the great ports, but always had to rush back to ship, especially in Alexandria where we were docked so far from the gate, we needed a navigator to find our way back.

Before containers we were in port two or three days as all cargo was loaded by crane and the decks were clear. Now containers are plopped on the decks so fast, you're in port no longer than cruise ships. Still the passengers scorn cruise ships, are likely to be more cultured, more adventurous, read a lot or play cards and must love the sea because you have to entertain yourself or sit on a tiny deck and watch the wake. Food is not gourmet but when I used to "freighter," the kitchen was always open to raid. Cabins are large. The fare is similar to cruising which I still don't understand but it's an altogether different experience, one you should share with someone close.

I loved the Orinoco when there was never another ship in sight.

MMC

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

We often go on boat cruises and have never been in any danger at all. I would say the previous 8 out of 10 cruises have been very relaxing and the weather has always been spot on. On a couple of occasions its been a bit of a bumpy ride but what else would you expect, it wont be perfect every time. Its great to pull up, chuck your car into valet parking storage and then disappear for 2 weeks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am taking a container ship out of Auckland in March back to US west coast. I can post my experiences after the fact. Female travelling alone and I have booked the owners suite.

I look forward to reading of your experiences.

Have a great trip. Where on the US West Coast? Do you know which ports en route?

Edited by MMDown Under

• 3 years later...

6:40 PM

Show details

Thanks for your outrageous response to my normal and reasonable questions - I will forward it to your regulatory agency with my complaint. Please consider this request closed.

Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:54:36 -0400

Subject: Benda, Mr./the MSC Alessia, Valencia - Newark

To: Loumonika

Hello,

We usually do not answer unnecessary questions, such as your 'follow up'. USA visa information was given and MSC Flaminia itinerary explained (she calls at Valencia), in my first email.

​MZ​

--------

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Loumonika> wrote:

Hello, I was wondering if you can please answer our two follow up questions below. Many thanks.

To: maris@freightercruises.com

Subject: RE: Benda, Mr./the MSC Alessia, Valencia - Newark

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 13:04:17 -0400

Thanks - two follow up questions - is it possible to embark Bremerhaven instead of Valencia and is a Visa required for German tourist (visa waiver country) citizenship and if so what is the visa called?

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:15:22 -0400

Subject: Benda, Mr./the MSC Alessia, Valencia - Newark

To: Loumonika

Dear Mr. Benda,

Thank you for your inquiry. We might be able to offer you double cabin (only cabin available) onboard the MSC Alessia (MSC Ilona sister vessel) sailing from Valencia approx. June 9th to Newark. The voyage takes about 9 days and the fare would be EUR 105 per day + EUR 225 for port and vessel fees.

Please note, for a freighter voyage you will need a USA visa (B1/B2) or resident card. ESTA visa program is not accepted on freighters.

Please advise, thank you.

Maja Zunic

PS. The MSC Alessia runs regular service from US East Coast to India, but since there is no embarkation / disembarkation at Indian ports, passengers are accepted from USA to MED and from MED to USA, only.

​--------

• 1 month later...

You can try contacting CMA-CGM directly. They don't own all their ships but managed on behalf of investors and have them painted their colours.

http://www.cma-cgm.com/products-services/cargo-cruise

For trans-Atlantic, they have Malta-eastern U.S. as well as other European origins. You can even sail on a route that takes you to Australia and New Zealand (said to be very popular, booked up to 18 months ahead).

If you want to use an agency, mer-et-voyages.info is good.

Here is a blog:

http://voyages-madeleine-guillou.over-blog.com/article-epilogue-de-ce-voyages-sur-l-utrillo-109535510.html

http://www.mer-et-voyages.info/voyages_en_cargo_produit.php?id_produit=0024#comment

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...