China “transit without visa” fiasco for Shanghai cruises

Kiwi_rua

We will be getting off our ship in Hong Kong which was there 1 day & overnight then we will fly to Xian for 2 nights & to Beijing for 3 nights. We will then fly to the US. This may be very tight for the 144 hrs rule. The country prior to HK is Vietnam. What do you think ? Should I get a visa?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Might not work. Xian only issues 72-hour visas and you must stay in the region.

China is also known for the least reliable domestic on-time air travel. Flight delays up to several hours in not uncommon. Airspace is controlled by the military and those guys are control freak central. "Air Passenger Bill of Rights" don't apply either :cool:

To avoid any misunderstandings, get the visa.

We will be getting off our ship in Hong Kong which was there 1 day & overnight then we will fly to Xian for 2 nights & to Beijing for 3 nights. We will then fly to the US. This may be very tight for the 144 hrs rule. The country prior to HK is Vietnam. What do you think ? Should I get a visa?

I would take a visa and stay 3 N in Xian, 5 N in Beijing. And add 2 N in Guilin and 5 N in Shanghai. There's lots to see and do and it's only once in a lifetime.

You will need a visa as the 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit applies to the Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei area. Xian is outside that area.

You will need a visa as the 144-Hour Visa-Free Transit applies to the Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei area. Xian is outside that area.

I was informed by Silverseas that I will need a China visa. Thank you all for your help