Help with Japan Excusrions - Novice alert !!!

toester74

Hi everyone :)

Calling out to the knowledgaeble. Im after some advice, cheeky tips, or watch-outs for our impending cruise on Quantum of the Seas, sailing from Shanghai 15th September on the 'Ultimate Japan' Cruise.

I must admit, we are absolute novices when it comes to experiencing Japan As a result, i would be eternally grateful to hear any tips, watch-outs and safe excursions outside the ships offerings. We so much want to capture the magic of our desitnations but have read so may varied reviews on the ships trips (RCI Quantum of the Seas) vs doing something yourself.

We are travelling with our elderly parents, and although fully active we are getting very anxious, as we dont want to make a mess of there 50th wedding anniversary

Our itenery is as follows:

Itinerary

We are especially interested in seeing the best of Tokyo, especially as its an overnight stay, but as said, we are totally flooded by options. Any ideas for a night and day option

Smiling, and in hope of anyone taking the time to respond :D

Richard

Hopefully BruceMuzz will respond, he has a wealth of knowledge to help.

I would suggest that you find a tour (either on your roll call or tripadvisors) for Osaka. One day you can focus on Kyoto and the next day on Osaka Castle and Nara. For Tokyo, Yokohama is not that far from Tokyo so I don't think you will have to incur the cost of getting a hotel I have not used them, but tours by locals have been recommended. In Yokohama, there is a large China Town close to the cruise terminal and some other sites, but like you indicated, Tokyo has many attractions that you might want to see.

You might do a search on the forum for other recommendation on tours. For example, do a search on "tours of Tokyo" or what to see in Tokyo .

Hi!

Easy... just check out our review with information on all the tours (Osaka or Kobe in our case is right next to each other).

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Celebrity-Millennium-Japan/celebrity-millennium-japan.html

The two tour operators I can recommend are Tours by Locals or Triple Lights.

Oliver

Itinerary

Firstly, a small tip you may not be aware of: if you’re sailing on the 15th September, then the 17th (which should be your first day in Osaka) will be a national holiday. Tourist places will be open but probably busy, and some museums will be closed the day after due to staying open for the holiday. Just something to bare in mind when you’re making plans.

Although I can’t help you with tour guides, if you would like I can provide information on where to visit for your time in Osaka & Kobe. Do you have any special interests? Is your interest more in traditional Japan or modern Japan?

Hi Shipfish

Thank you so much for your reply and information, really appreciate it:)

any tips for Osaka and Kobe would be really useful, we like both traditional and modern but would sit on the side of traditional. but as said any points of interests or must do's would really help

thanks again

56939109[/url]]

Firstly' date=' a small tip you may not be aware of: if you’re sailing on the 15th September, then the 17th (which should be your first day in Osaka) will be a national holiday. Tourist places will be open but probably busy, and some museums will be closed the day after due to staying open for the holiday. Just something to bare in mind when you’re making plans.

Although I can’t help you with tour guides, if you would like I can provide information on where to visit for your time in Osaka & Kobe. Do you have any special interests? Is your interest more in traditional Japan or modern Japan?[/quote']

Overnighting in Osaka and Yokohama is not really my idea of the "Ultimate Japan Cruise".

Sort of like overnighting on a ship in Chicago and Baltimore and calling it the "Ultimate America Cruise".

Osaka is a good location for an overnight. You can easily visit Kobe and Kyoto from there. Staying there in a hotel would be more productive than sitting on a mega-ship at Osaka Harbor.

Overnighting in Yokohama is a bit of a waste of time. There is a little bit to see in Yokohama; Chinatown and the Red Brick Warehouse area. But the real draw is Tokyo. A taxi would cost you US$200+ each way. The trains and subways are very good, but a pain and a waste of valuable time running back and forth from the ship to Tokyo.

You should probably overnight off the ship in Tokyo, but that also takes more time and money to arrange.

I recommend you find a good tour operator (on the internet) in Tokyo and ask them for a two day immersion tour of the Tokyo area in a van. This would give you the most bang for the buck, make it easy for you and your elderly parents, and get you back onboard in time.

Definitely use the train to get around! Taking the bullet train from Yokohama to Tokyo is a wonderful experience. We have stayed in Dai Ichi hotel in Tokyo. Expensive but very good. Amazing bathroom with a great toilet!

Also stayed in JR Kyushu Hotel Blossom in Shinjuku. Great location close to huge railway station with easy links to major sights. Don’t know how fit your parents are but you can walk to the Government Tower from this hotel. Take free lift up to 65th floor, I think, for great views over the city and on a clear day Mount Fuji.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Yokohama cruise terminal is our favorite cruise terminal. Please be outside your balcony or any viewing area as you approach the cruise terminal. During our sail in, we were welcomed by singers and dancers...same thing with our sail away,...hundreds of locals waving different flags waving to us, again singers and dancers, Taiko drummers....what a way to sail in and out of Yokohama.

The cruise terminal is a work of art...literally. What a nice place to take a nice, slow stroll.

Inside the cruise terminal, you'll find numerous tables that will provide information and they'll be more than happy to help you get to where you want to go...and give you free maps if you need it.

Outside, most often times, they have a free shuttle (provided by the city of Yokohama) that will take you to the train station. (Make sure to take a picture of the shuttle stop...glad we did. The picture helped us return to the correct spot.)

Riding the train from Yokohama to Tokyo was on our bucket list....and so that's what we did. It was easy to use the ticket machines or walk up to the window and ask for help. Note: We found that if you approach a "younger Japanese", chances are they know how to speak English. Everyone was polite and always willing to help. And yes, we experienced being slowly pushed inside the crowded train...no one complained, it was quiet, again everyone was polite, no shoving, no pushing,....just packed in really tight just like we saw on TV....what an experience.

There are so many places to visit in Tokyo...and yes, we went up the Government Building, all the way to the top floor. It's free!...breathtaking views of Tokyo. You will have two days to see this magnificent city. Happy Sailing! :)