Advice on Oceania Nautica Type E cabins

nikitty

Has anyone stayed in an E Cabin before? We are considering an Oceania cruise and have an E cabin on hold. I was just wondering how much of the lifeboats you actually see in one of these rooms.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Has anyone stayed in an E Cabin before? We are considering an Oceania cruise and have an E cabin on hold. I was just wondering how much of the lifeboats you actually see in one of these rooms.

I'd rather have an inside cabin...

In an E, you get a small porthole which is likely allowing you to see the side of a small lifeboat (I am assuming that, as with most ships with "obstructed view" cabins, the minimal view may vary depending on where you are in relation to the lifeboats...Different cabins may have slightly different views...

But, here is the kicker for me:

>>Category E is 143-square-foot and has no sofa.<<

If given the choice of paying more money for a smaller cabin and no sofa, but with a small round window with the view of a wall of a lifeboat...and

...a larger "inside" cabin with a sofa and more space in the room at a lesser price, I'll take the 160 sf inside cabin any day of the week...

I'm not in my cabin all that much...but when I am, it's to sleep and to change clothes...I'd rather have the room to maneuver when I dress and a place to sit down than to have a small porthole to look out of hoping I might see around that big boat that's covering the window...

There are really only two choices: Suite/balcony stateroom OR Inside...

A balcony gives you SOMETHING for the money--a place to go outside, to get some fresh air, added personal space...But...it is a lot of extra money...If you want to save all that money, just take it all the way down to an inside cabin--and save an awful lot on Oceania...

A window cabin of any kind is really just a bad compromise...but an obstructed porthole and a smaller room with fewer amenities is just foolish...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thank you so much for that information. It's true, this cabin is very small - no sofa! Good catch! :)

I forgot to mention this in my original post but unfortunately, they are completely sold out of inside cabins. So basically, in our price range, it's either an oceanview ie: a C1 or C2 or an E. The one nice thing about the E is that it is on Deck 6 - a lot of oceanview suites are on lower decks - ie: Deck 3 and 4. However, I'm just not sure it's worth the money for an oceanview with a porthole that is smaller and costs more - than the E with the obstructed picture window. Basically I'm just trying to find out what the window is like in E - if we had the cabin with the most obstructed of views (Murphy's Law) how much that lifeboat would overhang. :D

I'd rather have an inside cabin...

In an E, you get a small porthole which is likely allowing you to see the side of a small lifeboat (I am assuming that, as with most ships with "obstructed view" cabins, the minimal view may vary depending on where you are in relation to the lifeboats...Different cabins may have slightly different views...

But, here is the kicker for me:

>>Category E is 143-square-foot and has no sofa.<<

If given the choice of paying more money for a smaller cabin and no sofa, but with a small round window with the view of a wall of a lifeboat...and

...a larger "inside" cabin with a sofa and more space in the room at a lesser price, I'll take the 160 sf inside cabin any day of the week...

I'm not in my cabin all that much...but when I am, it's to sleep and to change clothes...I'd rather have the room to maneuver when I dress and a place to sit down than to have a small porthole to look out of hoping I might see around that big boat that's covering the window...

There are really only two choices: Suite/balcony stateroom OR Inside...

A balcony gives you SOMETHING for the money--a place to go outside, to get some fresh air, added personal space...But...it is a lot of extra money...If you want to save all that money, just take it all the way down to an inside cabin--and save an awful lot on Oceania...

A window cabin of any kind is really just a bad compromise...but an obstructed porthole and a smaller room with fewer amenities is just foolish...

Thank you so much for that information. It's true, this cabin is very small - no sofa! Good catch! :)

I forgot to mention this in my original post but unfortunately, they are completely sold out of inside cabins. So basically, in our price range, it's either an oceanview ie: a C1 or C2 or an E. The one nice thing about the E is that it is on Deck 6 - a lot of oceanview suites are on lower decks - ie: Deck 3 and 4.

Deck 4 cabins have a large picture window & 165 Sq ft

if the price is in your budget I would choose a deck 4 cabin over an E

Here is a photo of the lifeboats if you look between them you can see the windows of the E cabins

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2400120160101934561ZHIGor

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Here's what I would do in your situation:

If I really wanted to go on this cruise, I'd take any cabin...even the "E" if that's what I can afford...

But I'd watch the booking sites--Oceania and others--very carefully on a daily or even more than daily basis...and have my travel agent monitor it as well...

Booked cabins open back up all the time--especially in this economy...On my roll call, most of the posters we've been talking to for months have now backed out for one reason or another...So, it is very possible one of those inside cabins comes back on the market...when it does, have them switch your reservation...I maybe would even have my TA contact Oceania to see if they had any mechanism to wit list you for what you want...

By the way, we're going back on the Nautica for the second time and have booked the same cabin we had last time--6010--It's, for some reason, the lowest category cabin on the ship--but we thought the location was great...Sure, it's forward, but the ship is quite small...it's not that many steps to anywhere and Deck 6 is great...

We stayed in E Cabin 6033 on our first-ever cruise in September, Istanbul to Athens, which we booked as the bottom-class guaranty we would accept in late May. (Husband has light-affect issues, so we could never sail in an inside cabin.)

Well, we ended up winning the lottery because Cabins 6033 and 6030 barely are obstructed, just by a davit running vertically through the center of the very large picture window (bruinsteve, not a small porthole window at all), with the small Zodiac it holds below the window, so not obstructing it at all. We loved the location; quiet, yet right by the stairs and elevator. I was concerned about my queasy stomach on this first-ever cruise for us, and mid-ships, mid-level was great.

Yes, it's small, but we only used the cabin to sleep, shower and dress on our very port-intensive itinerary.

In fact, we liked it so much, that we booked the same cabin in January when the cruises went on sail, and we again will be on Nautica, this time Athens to Istanbul, Enchanted Escapade, sailing June 5.

Hope this helps!

If you book a category E, you can absolutely wait list another category or categories that you are interested in. You can also just wait list the category you would like without being booked in a different category. If the wait list does clear, the pricing will be based on the fares offered at that time.

Sharicruz6

Shari

Edited by Sharicruz

Wow! That's horribly obstructed. Might as well get an inside for that price!

Thanks so much for posting that. I know that it's a different boat, but same cruise line, so that scares me. :eek:

Deck 4 cabins have a large picture window & 165 Sq ft

if the price is in your budget I would choose a deck 4 cabin over an E

Here is a photo of the lifeboats if you look between them you can see the windows of the E cabins

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2400120160101934561ZHIGor

Lyn

Thank you for that info Steve.

I contacted my travel agent to ask about whether or not they could find me an inside should one come available. I haven't booked this cruise yet - we are torn between Oceania and Celebrity Summit (I posted a question here but haven't received any responses yet: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=940794 )

We're real noobs when it comes to cruising (we've only been once, and the experience wasn't so great) so I'm really happy to have this information. :)

If I really wanted to go on this cruise, I'd take any cabin...even the "E" if that's what I can afford...

But I'd watch the booking sites--Oceania and others--very carefully on a daily or even more than daily basis...and have my travel agent monitor it as well...

Booked cabins open back up all the time--especially in this economy...On my roll call, most of the posters we've been talking to for months have now backed out for one reason or another...So, it is very possible one of those inside cabins comes back on the market...when it does, have them switch your reservation...I maybe would even have my TA contact Oceania to see if they had any mechanism to wit list you for what you want...

By the way, we're going back on the Nautica for the second time and have booked the same cabin we had last time--6010--It's, for some reason, the lowest category cabin on the ship--but we thought the location was great...Sure, it's forward, but the ship is quite small...it's not that many steps to anywhere and Deck 6 is great...

We stayed in E Cabin 6033 on our first-ever cruise in September, Istanbul to Athens, which we booked as the bottom-class guaranty we would accept in late May. (Husband has light-affect issues, so we could never sail in an inside cabin.)

Well, we ended up winning the lottery because Cabins 6033 and 6030 barely are obstructed, just by a davit running vertically through the center of the very large picture window (bruinsteve, not a small porthole window at all), with the small Zodiac it holds below the window, so not obstructing it at all. We loved the location; quiet, yet right by the stairs and elevator. I was concerned about my queasy stomach on this first-ever cruise for us, and mid-ships, mid-level was great.

Yes, it's small, but we only used the cabin to sleep, shower and dress on our very port-intensive itinerary.

In fact, we liked it so much, that we booked the same cabin in January when the cruises went on sail, and we again will be on Nautica, this time Athens to Istanbul, Enchanted Escapade, sailing June 5.

Hope this helps!

How interesting! I actually read about this very cabin on a review on cruisecritic and bookmarked it a few days ago. I just checked it and realized that was you! lol...

Your cabin sounds fantastic but I thought you weren't allowed to book cabins? All it offers you is a guarantee, so you don't know where you will be located? I'll have to ask my travel agent. She has an E cabin on hold for me, but she didn't know the room. Not sure how to specifically request rooms? I will ask! :cool:

It is true that Cat E's dont have a sofa, however, it is the cat D's that have portholes.

The E's have large picture windows, which, except for 6030 and 6033 are about 70% obscured by the lifeboats. It's odd, actually, because the lifeboats themselves have windows, so, at some angles, you can see through the 3 sets of windows out to the sea.

If you're a staircase user (as we try to be on a cruise), you'll find the E cabins very convenient to the Deck 5 public rooms, as they are only one flight up and between the two stair/elevator towers.

How interesting! I actually read about this very cabin on a review on cruisecritic and bookmarked it a few days ago. I just checked it and realized that was you! lol...

Your cabin sounds fantastic but I thought you weren't allowed to book cabins? All it offers you is a guarantee, so you don't know where you will be located? I'll have to ask my travel agent. She has an E cabin on hold for me, but she didn't know the room. Not sure how to specifically request rooms? I will ask! :cool:

You can book staterooms with assignments. If there were only guarantees, that means that at this time there is not a stateroom assignment available in that category.

Sharicruz

Shari

Edited by Sharicruz

Oops, correction, our cruise this June is Athens to Rome (not Istanbul)!

Well, last year we booked so late we only got a guaranty of a class of cabin, and were lucky to get a cabin at all!:) We could have ended up looking through lifeboat windows.

However, this time, for our second-ever cruise, we were able to book the precise cabin we wanted.

Good luck to you!

Pam

I've had an E obstructed-view cabin on Nautica before. Plenty of natural light but no view on sea days. BUT, plenty of tendered ports of call, where the lifeboats disappeared by magic. Be careful when undressing by the window....sometimes you'll be faced by a crew member smiling back at you!

Wow! That's horribly obstructed. Might as well get an inside for that price!

Thanks so much for posting that. I know that it's a different boat, but same cruise line, so that scares me. :eek:

All the ships are the same layout.

Lyn

• 9 years later...

Hi Steve,

We have just made aware that 6010 is available on Nautica. It is a 39 day cruise so we want to be comfortable. After your second cruise do you still recommend this cabin? Thanks,

Hi Steve,

We have just made aware that 6010 is available on Nautica. It is a 39 day cruise so we want to be comfortable. After your second cruise do you still recommend this cabin? Thanks,

WOW... old post...2009...

On that particular then-future Cruise I was talking about, we kept watching pricing and availability as I suggested...and ended up moving up to an A1 Concierge Veranda...Our subsequent Oceania Cruise was in an Oceania Suite on Marina...

But, to get back to the issue of that 6010 inside cabin...sure...I would gladly cruise in it again if that’s how things worked out...Having just gotten off of a Viking River Cruise-where almost all of the cabins are TINY, I can really appreciate even that inside cabin on Oceania...no window, no balcony...but at least the room is ample and nicely appointed. And, if you are only using the cabin to sleep, use the bathroom and change clothes, it has everything you need... and, heck, you are on a great cruise with great food and service...Just learn to use the open decks as your substitute balcony...

I am with you on not wanting to be in an E cabin. The size is extra small and very little light is not my way of sailing. I will not sail in an inside cabin. Nautica cabins are furnished nicely. Beds are very comfortable. Bathrooms are very small. All Summit cabins are larger and have little or no obstruction. Summit has bigger bathrooms than most cabins on an R ship. The difference is the ship experience. Oceania and Celebrity are both nice. Oceania has better food and service. Smaller ships have advantages of not being crowded. Smaller ships can get into ports that are not available to big ships. Summit is much larger than Nautica. Food is good. Service is also good. There may be some crowded venues. It is mass market. Summit is my favorite Celebrity ship. I have sailed on Summit 8 times. It seems to work better than other Celebrity ships. Decide what is really important for you. Destination? Ship? Size of cabin? Food? Etc? You will have a nice cruise on either ship.

I am with you on not wanting to be in an E cabin. The size is extra small and very little light is not my way of sailing. I will not sail in an inside cabin. Nautica cabins are furnished nicely. Beds are very comfortable. Bathrooms are very small. All Summit cabins are larger and have little or no obstruction. Summit has bigger bathrooms than most cabins on an R ship. The difference is the ship experience. Oceania and Celebrity are both nice. Oceania has better food and service. Smaller ships have advantages of not being crowded. Smaller ships can get into ports that are not available to big ships. Summit is much larger than Nautica. Food is good. Service is also good. There may be some crowded venues. It is mass market. Summit is my favorite Celebrity ship. I have sailed on Summit 8 times. It seems to work better than other Celebrity ships. Decide what is really important for you. Destination? Ship? Size of cabin? Food? Etc? You will have a nice cruise on either ship.

Redtravel,

Take another look at the dates on this thread...nikitty, who was deciding between Nautica and Summit, was doing that almost a decade ago! I am sure they decided that question long ago now. madthompso ressurrected this thread merely to ask about 6010 on Nautica...

I forgot to mention this in my original post but unfortunately, they are completely sold out of inside cabins. So basically, in our price range, it's either an oceanview ie: a C1 or C2 or an E. The one nice thing about the E is that it is on Deck 6 - a lot of oceanview suites are on lower decks - ie: Deck 3 and 4. However, I'm just not sure it's worth the money for an oceanview with a porthole that is smaller and costs more - than the E with the obstructed picture window. Basically I'm just trying to find out what the window is like in E - if we had the cabin with the most obstructed of views (Murphy's Law) how much that lifeboat would overhang. :D

We are just off Insignia and had an inside cabin winched we loved. Our friends had an obstructed oceanview and all they saw was the lifeboat unless they were using it for tenders. They said their cabin was dark all of the time. One day they opened their curtains to see a member of staff in the lifeboat right outside their window!

If I were you I’d book an inside or a non obstructed cabin.