Pre-cruise days in Kyoto, Japan--Has anyone been there?

SLSD

We are planning to take the mid May Sojourn cruise from Kobe to Vancouver. I'm beginning to do a bit of pre-planning research and see that Kyoto is close to Kobe. I am thinking that Kyoto might be a good place to stay for several days before the cruise begins as there is a lot to see there.

Have any of you been to Kyoto? And, if you have, how many days would you suggest would be ideal to enjoy that city before the cruise?

We are planning to take the mid May Sojourn cruise from Kobe to Vancouver. I'm beginning to do a bit of pre-planning research and see that Kyoto is close to Kobe. I am thinking that Kyoto might be a good place to stay for several days before the cruise begins as there is a lot to see there.

Have any of you been to Kyoto? And, if you have, how many days would you suggest would be ideal to enjoy that city before the cruise?

Used to visit Kyoto once a year when I was living in Tokyo, there's plenty to see, if you like temples at least. You could easily spend multiple days there, however you might be a bit 'templed out' for the rest of the trip.

It's not that far to Kobe however make sure you work out how you're going to get you and your luggage there. A car ride would be pretty expensive, the train is great but if you have a ton of baggage, is going to be hard work getting it on and off.

I’ve visited kyoto three times, each time longer than the last! The latest visit was for 7 days prior to a trip to Mongolia and previously it was for 5 days and 3 days on short round the world trips. I would return tomorrow. There are beautiful gardens and shrines and the food is sublime.

Galeforce, this is what I am reading. So, you are suggesting at least three days.

I’d say so SLSD. It’s a nice taster. The centre is fairly compact but there are some nice sights out on the train to arashiyama, which would be a nice day in more leafy surrounds. We usually take day trips on the Shinkansen too, to himeji castle and last time we went across to Kanazawa. Nara is another good trip. In three days though you could do central Kyoto, arahiyama and perhaps the shrine on my photo.

We've visited Kyoto twice, both times associated with cruising. We stayed 4 days/3 nites before a HAL TransPacific cruise that started in Kobe and ended in Vancouver. Then we visited again on a Crystal East Asia cruise when we called on Osaka. I agree with Galeforce that a minimum of 3 days is needed and even then you'll barely scratch the surface! As the former imperial capital of Japan, Kyoto has a mind-boggling number of temples, shrines, castles and gardens that are worth exploring. You could also venture to nearby Nara, Himeji or Osaka which have their own highlights. Japan is easy to tour independently via their excellent train system or by availing of goodwill guides. If you choose to tour privately, I can highly recommend Chris Rowthorn Tours.

You should consider a hotel near Kyoto Station, you can get a bus pass for unlimited travel in Kyoto for approximately $5.00 per day, a lot of busses start and terminate at the station. For planning check out this link - https://www.insidekyoto.com/kyoto-itineraries

I humbly disagree. Stay on the east side of the river in old Kyoto, there are metro stations there too.

Eat at Teppan-yaki Sou. There are also special tourist bus routes that take you to the most visited sights. Start at the top and walk south on Philosopher's Walk. Three days/two nights minimum.

If you are a keen cook, or know a chef friend, in either of those places they make sensational kitchen knives.

NOT cheap, but out of this world.

Most places will engrave your name in western and / or Japanese

Galeforce, Could you tell us what you particularly like about Hotel Mume? I did go to look at it and it looks like a charming place.

Any other hotel recommendations, those of you who have spent time in Kyoto. We would lean toward something of a traditional Japanese Inn, but open to all suggestions.

Have any of you used a particular guide in Kyoto that you especially liked?

I'm also going to make a list of all restaurant recommendations. Thank you for the suggestions so far.

Hopefully, no one has any immediate travel plans to Kansai International - From the WSJ today:

By Megumi Fujikawa

Updated Sept. 4, 2018 7:21 a.m. ET

TOKYO—One of Japan’s largest airports, Kansai International, was closed indefinitely by damage from the nation’s most powerful typhoon in 25 years.

The bridge that links the island airport with the mainland was hit by a storm-driven tanker ship Tuesday, shearing off one chunk and dislodging a section of roadway from the rest of the bridge. At the airport itself, one runway was under water and one terminal’s basement was flooded, an airport spokesman said.

The airport, near Osaka, serves as one of the nation’s main gateways for Asian tourists.Japan Airlines said 150 passengers and 600 staff were still at the airport as of Tuesday night local time, and there was no immediate way to evacuate. All Nippon Airways said 65 customers and 290 employees were at the airport.

A terminal for low-cost carriers escaped major damage but its runway was closed, the spokesman said, adding that it is too soon to say when the airport might reopen.

Japan had been preparing for days for Typhoon Jebi, which carried peak winds of some 130 miles an hour and brought heavy rains to much of central Japan. The airport bridge had been closed hours in advance, so no trains or cars were on it when it was struck.

We spent five days in Kyoto after a cruise and wished we had longer. We took a day trip to Nara then went on to Tokyo via Hakone to see Mount Fuji. We used public transport and found it easy to navigate. Our hotel in Kyoto was Citadines, not a traditional Japanese hotel, but the rooms were very clean and spacious and it was convenient for the subway. I would recommend looking into shipping your luggage to the port, your hotel can help. It is very easy to do in Japan, you can get overnight service to almost anywhere for a nominal cost. We shipped two cases from Kyoto to Tokyo for $30 and just took an overnight bag to Hakone.

SLSD did you ask for this to be moved or did the cruise critic moderators do it themselves? If we want a question about a port to stay on the Seabourn board we have to remember to put Seabourn in the post's title, so I was told. Frustrating I think.

I do admit you will get some helpful information on the ports boards.

Julie

No, I did not ask that it be moved. Next time I will be sure to put SB in the title. I do not want to hear from everyone on these boards! Where has it been moved to? And, how do I get it moved back?

Have been reading your suggestions with interest. We are doing the same trip and our thoughts were to base ourselves in Osaka and do day trips from there in terms of luggage management. Don't mind going back to the same place by train over a few days if we feel there is more to see.

We have also explored the luggage transport people and that looks very helpful. We then thought to move to Kobe a day or so prior to the cruise departure.

Any accom suggestions for Osaka near the train stations would be appreciated and also Kobe.

Have been reading your suggestions with interest. We are doing the same trip and our thoughts were to base ourselves in Osaka and do day trips from there in terms of luggage management. Don't mind going back to the same place by train over a few days if we feel there is more to see.

Any accom suggestions for Osaka near the train stations would be appreciated and also Kobe.

I don’t have hotel recommendations as such, but if you want to stay in Osaka and use it as a base for day trips then you would probably be best look for a hotel around Umeda (Osaka Station) as this is going to give you the most convenient access for traveling around and for Osaka itself.

One tip if you’re travelling around is to have a look at the different rail passes and tickets available. Hankyu (one of the regional private rail companies) does a two day pass for 1400 yen (about 13 USD) per person which goes to Kyoto, Arashiyama, and Kobe. Or JR does a two day Kansai pass for 4500 yen (however it does cover a wider area).

I have discussed this with our TA now and she says there is not problem with a transfer to Kyoto from Osaka airport and then to the port at Kobe

We are aware of the damage to the bridge for the Osaka airport in the last few days and are confident it will be repaired.