Captains versus Formal Nights

Missylove

Good afternoon everyone!! Just a quick question......What is the difference between the Captain events and the formal nights? Are they the same thing? Is there dinner at the Captain events if they are different? Trying to figure out if we need to eat dinner prior to the Captain events. I was told that the Captains event isn't like it used to be as far as clothing and all. Sounds like it's more laid back.

Good afternoon everyone!! Just a quick question......What is the difference between the Captain events and the formal nights? Are they the same thing? Is there dinner at the Captain events if they are different? Trying to figure out if we need to eat dinner prior to the Captain events. I was told that the Captains event isn't like it used to be as far as clothing and all. Sounds like it's more laid back.

These are the kinds of things that can vary by cruise line. If you post the cruise line, we can direct you to the proper forum.

Not sure what you're talking with regards to Captain's Events, but I suspect you're talking about the Captain's welcome aboard party. There will be an informal cocktail party where the Captain will welcome everyone on board. It's usually held before dinner, and you'll get a free drink.

Formal nights are no longer what they used to be. You'll see every kind of clothing on that night, from cocktail dresses to slacks and tops. And they don't call it formal night anymore----it's called Elegant night.

If you get invited to dine with the Captain or Staff Captain, formal apparel is HIGHLY recommended. They will be in a full dress uniform.

But you will not know if you are invited until on board the ship.

They are mostly the same. Both are formal nights. The difference with Captain's night is, they will hold an evening reception on the Royal Promenade. It's a nice event with free champagne. The Captain gives a toast and the orchestra plays. The Captain sticks around for photos.

Usually the Captain's party is the first (or only) formal night, and has free champagne. I think it still has this -- or has RCI done away with the free champagne?[/quot

This is what I was trying to figure out. So the first formal night includes the Captains party......makes sense. When people talk about them they talk as if they are separate events. Thank you.

Not sure what you're talking with regards to Captain's Events, but I suspect you're talking about the Captain's welcome aboard party. There will be an informal cocktail party where the Captain will welcome everyone on board. It's usually held before dinner, and you'll get a free drink.

Formal nights are no longer what they used to be. You'll see every kind of clothing on that night, from cocktail dresses to slacks and tops. And they don't call it formal night anymore----it's called Elegant night.

Yes the event with the Captain. I have seen it called so many different things so I just say Captains event.

If you get invited to dine with the Captain or Staff Captain, formal apparel is HIGHLY recommended. They will be in a full dress uniform.

But you will not know if you are invited until on board the ship.

Invite? So some are invited and some are not? Wow never heard that before.

For the welcome aboard party with the Captain everyone is invited.

However, some cruise lines still have opportunities to dine at the Captain's table. The Captain & Officers are in full Mess Kit, so formal attire is highly recommended. Only a few passengers receive these invites.

On Princess, any returning pax is invited to "Captain;s Circle" cocktail party before the "formal" dinners start. That being said, it's nothing more than a veiled sales presentation with the draw of a free drink. The heard enter and sit waiting for waiters to bring around tray of watered down cruise cocktails. When we bother to go, we take a seat at the rear and order what we want from the bar, TIPPING THE BARTENDER WITH CASH.

Invite? So some are invited and some are not? Wow never heard that before.

This is for dinner with the Captain. Sitting a the same table with the Captain, having a nice meal with complimentary wine. And a different menu than the rest of the passengers.

Some Captains do it, some do not.