WiFi information please

aqua

Hello Everyone, I am considering my first sailing on Oceania and appreciate your help. The Oceania website says that free unlimited WiFi is included "with your cruise fare." However, I called Oceania to double check and the agent told me that WiFi is only free on our sailing (June 2019) with O Life or concierge cabins. Perhaps I am misreading the website but it seems to say that it is included for everyone. What is the correct answer? Here is the link to the information on Oceania's website: https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/internet/

Thanks!

As Lyn well knows, this is a common request -- better training for the reps.

You WOULD have to pay for a second "membership", I believe -- say you use your laptop and your spouse uses an iPad or some other equipment. Most people, I believe, just take turns. It's easy for me -- DH is computer illiterate so if anyone goes on line, I'm that person.

Mura

I was on Riviera a week ago and the wi-fi wouldn’t even open the CC forum, and I tried in various public places as well as our stateroom, even in the computer area! Have to say it’s the worst ship wi-fi that I’ve encountered. The ship was in the Western Med so it wasn’t in a spot that was out of signal.

I was on Riviera a week ago and the wi-fi wouldn’t even open the CC forum, and I tried in various public places as well as our stateroom, even in the computer area! Have to say it’s the worst ship wi-fi that I’ve encountered. The ship was in the Western Med so it wasn’t in a spot that was out of signal.

strange

We were on Marina in Norway in July no problem getting into CC or any other sites

Maybe a setting in your device ??

It's an iPhone 8 Plus, so it's pretty new, it found and connected to the ships network no problem, but no matter which time of day or location I tried, it just froze. Luckily, being in Europe we get our data allowance, so I was using the local 4G land networks to do my cruise blog

To the first part of the OP’s comments:

If one utilized a TA experienced with Oceania they would find calling that TA with their questions far more fruitful than calling Oceania direct. A difficult concept for some posters but the benefits of a good TA goes far beyond any perks they may be giving you. Having a good TA personally, I can think of very few reasons to ever call Oceania directly! Why suffer the brain damage ?

To the issue:

WiFi coverage is not a one size fits all affair. It varies tremendously depending upon a multitude of often unrelated circumstances. Asking specific questions about is it’s like asking what the weather in Italy will be like in November! !!! Only anecdotal relies, which will vary greatly can be given.

Thank you all for your replies. I am glad to know that the Oceania agent was wrong even though he was emphatic that WiFi was not free on my sailing.

Pinotlover, I do have an excellent travel agent. I only called Oceania because it was after business hours and my friend and I wanted to evaluate the value of O Life fares this weekend. I am very surprised that the cruise line gave such poor information.

Aqua;

A lesson learned. Waiting to call your TA will in most all cases get one accurate information as quickly as talking to an Oceania customer service rep, then going to CC!

FWIW, We have our TA’s cell number and she encourages us to call her anytime. We use that with discretion since we very rarely have some need for information that can’t wait . But as good customers, it’s always there for us. Because of her experience with Oceania, She can answer 90+% of the questions her customers may have without any call to Oceania. Very rarely does one actually have an original question that hasn’t been asked before. Questions on WiFi services would easily fit into that 90%.

I certainly do not disagree that having a good TA is very much worth it.

However, it is news to me how bad the Oceania reps are. I have never called one, but this is unacceptable, IMO. Oceania needs to fix this. Have wrong or bad information can ruin a cruise. One of the bad recent Riviera reviews that was discussed on another thread seemed to be mostly because someone was told there was a teen club for her child. An obvious error. Why would Oceania allow such bad information to be spread?

Rant over.

I certainly do not disagree that having a good TA is very much worth it.

However, it is news to me how bad the Oceania reps are. I have never called one, but this is unacceptable, IMO. Oceania needs to fix this. Have wrong or bad information can ruin a cruise. One of the bad recent Riviera reviews that was discussed on another thread seemed to be mostly because someone was told there was a teen club for her child. An obvious error. Why would Oceania allow such bad information to be spread?

Rant over.

I believe the reviewer said her TA told her that info

Not all TA's are familiar with the in's & outs of Oceania

That said the Res agents have always had a bad reputation

they are probably minimum wage workers that just do their job & do not care to do it well

I have only called them once or twice years ago but it seems nothing has changed

JMO

How much knowledge should the rep display? How long of of an orientation should Oceania make their reps set through before they put them on the phone?

Late on a Sunday night, is an acceptable reply “I’m sorry sir, I don’t know the answer to your question. May I/ we call you back maybe tomorrow or the next regular work day with an answer” ?

Anyone here tried hiring low skill labor recently?

One of the bad recent Riviera reviews that was discussed on another thread seemed to be mostly because someone was told there was a teen club for her child. An obvious error. .

Sorry you were right they did say an Oceania rep

but also noted they saw a teen club on the website

have never noticed that :confused:

<<< We were told by our Oceania travel representative and also confirmed with Oceania's website that there would be a Teen Club on board, a game room and a basketball / sports court on the top of the ship of which there was none of the above mentioned things for our teenage sons.>>>

<<< We were told by our Oceania travel representative and also confirmed with Oceania's website that there would be a Teen Club on board, a game room and a basketball / sports court on the top of the ship of which there was none of the above mentioned things for our teenage sons.>>>

Amazing how confused some people get over stuff. I've pretty much quit trying to discuss it with some people onboard.

The P&O ship Oceana has a teen club....I wonder if someone stumbled into the wrong cruiseline website on a google search?

Alaska Explorer Youth Program

For guests who travel with children, our Alaska Explorer Youth Program offers the opportunity for everyone to experience the excitement of exploring the Northwest Coast and Alaska in a meaningful and enriching way. Designed for age groups between 5 and 12, the program is supervised by experienced and enthusiastic youth counselors and includes games, activities and Alaska-inspired special events.

This is what they may have been thinking they saw. On the Insignia last week the rep touched base on this. It is a trial program because they do not cater to children. It is only for a few selected cruises.

Alaska Explorer Youth Program

For guests who travel with children, our Alaska Explorer Youth Program offers the opportunity for everyone to experience the excitement of exploring the Northwest Coast and Alaska in a meaningful and enriching way. Designed for age groups between 5 and 12, the program is supervised by experienced and enthusiastic youth counselors and includes games, activities and Alaska-inspired special events.

This is what they may have been thinking they saw. On the Insignia last week the rep touched base on this. It is a trial program because they do not cater to children. It is only for a few selected cruises.

Yes they offer it on Alaska cruises (Regatta) the past couple of years but not on all ships so that may be where they got the idea

I have not seen the Riviera sailing to Alaska though

Our experience on riviera on the same cruise was the opposite. While there were a few times when we got a server error, most of the time I had no problems getting on the internet with decent speed. This was in forward cabin on deck 7. Time of day makes a big difference, as we’ve found on other cruises ... early morning was best.