Would you cruise Med mid October, early November?

horatio123

We did Barcelona to Venice in Oct. 23 to Nov. 11, 2016. Weather was great until Venice- then we had a cold front come down from the Alps with temperatures in the 30's F in the morning. But that is more typical of the northeast Italy than it is for the Italian Riviera where you are going. Think fewer crowds wherever you go- especially Portofino and Cinque Terre. A strong wind storm did come through the western med in late Sept.- a lot of downed trees on the hills around Portofino- but that was an unusual event.

We have cruised in October for the last 3/4 years and had glorious weather, this year Europe has been particularly hot all summer.

There is a chance of thunderstorms at that time of year but there is a chance any time. Ports are quieter, the later you are more chance of some amenities being closed.

I've been there in the summer and in the fall. The fall is hands down a better time to go.

The downside is some things close down or have reduced schedules because that's at the end of tourist season. I think the boat trips that run between the Cinque Terre towns would be one.

We are doing it this year - Oct 26 to Nov 9.

Smaller crowds and cooler weather are pluses for us. Many ports in the Med (and all over the world, for that matter) are literally overflowing with tourists in high season making visits almost unbearable.

Actually we are new cruisers if you can believe. However not new to river cruising or Europe in general. This one goes Rome, Florence Portofino, etc... I suppose there is a greater chance of storms and rough weather?

Having been in the western Med. from beginning of Oct. to the end of Nov. on three different cruises over the years, you can expect warm to hot days and cool evenings with the occasional rain shower. It is advisable to purchase your admissions to the top attractions ahead of time, in Florence the Academia and the Duomo. Check the different port authorities to see which other cruises are in the same time as yours. Two or three ships mean thousands of people wanting to see the same things at the same time. A great time to go

Having been in the western Med. from beginning of Oct. to the end of Nov. on three different cruises over the years, you can expect warm to hot days and cool evenings with the occasional rain shower. It is advisable to purchase your admissions to the top attractions ahead of time, in Florence the Academia and the Duomo. Check the different port authorities to see which other cruises are in the same time as yours. Two or three ships mean thousands of people wanting to see the same things at the same time. A great time to go

Granted the crowds will be smaller during the fall, but we've also found that the waves are generally larger after September. In tender ports such as Portofino, getting on and off of the ship may be more taxing.

Those who are in any way mobility challenged will want to give sailing so late in the season serious consideration. There is a reason why the fares are lower during the shoulder seasons.

Granted the crowds will be smaller during the fall, but we've also found that the waves are generally larger after September. In tender ports such as Portofino, getting on and off of the ship may be more taxing.

Those who are in any way mobility challenged will want to give sailing so late in the season serious consideration. There is a reason why the fares are lower during the shoulder seasons.

We sailed on the Marina mid October to early November about 3 years ago and had a combination of a few good sunny days and several days of pouring rain. We were unable to tender in Sorrento and after a couple of hours, docked in Naples. Seas were rougher during the rainy days. Good thing was few tourists in Venice, which was great.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We cruised in mid-October, 2015, Rome to Venice, and encountered a lot of rain. The weather starts to turn in the Med. in mid-October.

Not questioning your experience but, FWIW, just pointing out that the weather pattern in California is called Mediterranean Climate:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_climate

As such, we have dry summers and our rainy season normally begins mid-November and October is usually cooler but very nice and dry. I’ve lived in the area for 30 years and this has been the prevalent pattern.

Of course, this is no guarantee of weather in the Med as every year can be different - especially in the last few years. It could be either dryer or wetter than usual, colder or warmer than usual.

That is what weather does :D

Doing it this year (Riviera Nov 1 from Venice).

Great time to go.

As Tansy Mews writes, no heat, no crowds, no probs.

Could not pay me to do it in July.

Yep.

We've done the med 4 times. 3 times in summer (never again) and one Oct - Nov. Going again this Oct - Nov on the Marina for a month. You couldn't pay me to go back to the Med from June through mid-Sept.

The worst seas we have experienced anywhere was in the Med, in July.

Yep.

We've done the med 4 times. 3 times in summer (never again) and one Oct - Nov. Going again this Oct - Nov on the Marina for a month. You couldn't pay me to go back to the Med from June through mid-Sept.

The worst seas we have experienced anywhere was in the Med, in July.

We also have done the Med three times in the summer. Trying to get through the Sistine Chapel in July with a thousand other loved ones was a nightmare. We are going this time from October 29 through November 10. Much fewer crowds, much, much cooler temperatures. Should be nice. Much rather museum hop in the high 60's than the high 80's.

Athens is another place to avoid in the summer!

Seriously, our first Renaissance cruise was in the Med, October 6-20, but that was in 1999. Our memory is of wonderful weather. Comfortable and little, possibly no rain. We've done several trips in the area since then in the fall -- some cruises, some road trips -- and found it an excellent time to travel. As has been said, fewer crowds, cooler weather.

Jim's point about tendering when seas are more active is certainly well taken but not all ports require tendering ... I know we didn't have any tender ports on that first Renaissance cruise (for what that's worth, which I suspect is not much).

We did the Black Sea cruise on Regatta in August 2012 but that was only because that's the only time of year it was available. The weather was brutal. I'm glad we went since two of our favorite ports were in Crimea ...

But as has also been said: there's no predicting the weather. Especially these days!

Mura

We enjoy cruising the Med in the fall, when the heat and crowds are lower - but....

We have experienced some seriously bad weather cruising ~across~ the Med in November. The Strait of Bonificio (between Corsica and Sardinia) can be especially exciting in late fall. And I would entirely avoid any Med cruise in the winter/Mistral seasons. Most US cruise lines don't have ships in the Med then, but Viking Ocean does seem to have a few...perhaps it's the Norwegian seafaring heritage?

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise along the coast of the Med in Italy or France in fall, but I would really avoid crossing the Med (like from Italy to Majorca).

Do the Med in spring or fall. Summer is too hot and too crowded. I did a med cruise in July and vowed to never make that mistake again. It was 90-100 degrees with humidity. It was uncomfortable. I am doing med in October26-November 9 with added visit to Paris. I have sailed that time in med before. Not beach weather. Nice for sightseeing.

We absolutely would. Often travel offseason. Avoid the extreme temps and most of the other tourists.

Actually we are meeting our daughter and SIL in Rome for 2 weeks (approx halfway point) in October and then we’re off to Ireland for 6 days to visit family. Two years ago we did my birthday trip to Ireland and Scotland in late September/ October.

Bear in mind we are Canadian. This means we don’t wear ski jackets and mitts in Florida when the temperature drops below 20C. [emoji16]

Mo

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A couple of years ago we cruised the Mediterranean in early November. The weather was glorious and the crowds were practically nonexistent. Of course, you can't predict the weather more than about a week out, but I would travel then and there again without a qualm.