Where to Get Morning Espresso on Queen Mary 2?

jimdee3636

Although my wife and I have been on about twenty cruises (mostly on Silversea, Oceania, and HAL), we'll be taking our first Cunard cruise next summer (a 21-day round-trip from New York with stops in England, Iceland, and Atlantic Canada on the QM2). We're big espresso drinkers---we have an espresso machine at home---and I can't seem to figure out which venues on the QM2 serve espresso at breakfast or during early-morning hours. Our main dining room will be the Brittania, but we're open to anything in the morning.

Thanks in advance for any information.

I tried the expresso in the

Britannia restaurant "once." Did not like it however I had cappuccino in the Sir Samuels and was very happy. I am pretty sure that

Carinthia Lounge would be just as good. I am not sure that the free expresso is as good as the ones you would get in the places where you have to pay for it (

Sir Samuels and

Carinthia Lounge charge for it, they use Illy). Unlike Oceania they charge for coffee outside the dinning locations. I had more than enough OBC so did not matter to me.

Also, FYI they have free snacks in the

Carinthia Lounge that I preferred over the buffet. Also, FYI, the food in Britannia for dinner was good. Slightly better than Princess when we traveled. Have not tried Oceania yet so can't compare. Also prefer the MDR for breakfast over the buffet zoo. Unfortunately never liked the lunch menu so can't comment.

My suggestion is pay for expresso in the

Carinthia Lounge and if their morning snacks are not appealing head to Britannia for breakfast. If you do not have enough OBC I think Cunard might sell a coffee card.

FYI, lunch in Golden Lion is nice but it gets crowded.

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

To tv24: I probably will purchase a coffee card. Yes, it was nice to get unlimited illy coffee and espresso drinks on Oceania for no extra charge, but I'm willing to pay extra for something if it's worth it.

And thanks to you and LB_NJ for the warning about the buffet. The only breakfast or lunch buffets I've ever truly enjoyed were on the Silversea Silver Cloud and Silver Spirit, which have total guest capacities of less than 300 and 600, respectively. The ones on the Oceania Riviera and Marina ships (1250 guests) were of high quality but were out of control during peak times.

In fairness to Oceania, though, their MDRs and no-extra-charge specialty restaurants offer the best dinners we've had at sea. Until we tried Oceania, we thought that Silversea couldn't be surpassed for dining, but Oceania managed to do it, and for a much more reasonable price. We could probably stay with Oceania forever but it's fun to try new cruise lines once in a while.

Jimdee: I just now reread your postings and I see that you have sailed a lot on Oceania. I do believe that you will enjoy the QM2 as it is a stunningly beautiful ship with lots to do on board. But as to food...We've sailed once on Oceania, on the Marina for a crossing. We were stunned by the high quality of the food, especially in the specialty restaurants. Once we learned the drill for getting a free reservation, we were contented and well-fed. I fear that you will find the Britannia class food only adequate to good and a bit of a let down after Oceania. Nevertheless, we return to the QM2 as often as possible for the total experience.

tv24:

I'm sure we'll love the QM2. We try to enjoy what's best about any given cruise line or cruise ship, and we try to avoid making apples-to-oranges comparisons. For example, our next cruise (in February of 2019) will be on HAL, our ninth or tenth on that line. HAL is not necessarily the best at any one thing, but in our opinion they do a very good job at just about everything (including the MDR food and service), and for a fair price. It may not be Cunard or Silversea or Oceania, but it's fine on its own terms.

Jimdee: I agree with you regarding the fact that different lines have different attractive qualities. We crossed the North Atlantic on HAL in July and plan to cross the Pacific on HAL in April/May, 2019. While I find it hard to find anything to rave about on HAL, I also find it hard to find anything to complain about. They just do a good job. So we are looking forward to our next journey, as we are looking forward to our next journey on the Cunard Queen Victoria in February.

• 3 months later...

Can anyone let me know if they use REAL milk on trans atlantic crossings or the usual UHT rubbish?

Dont mind paying for a real milk coffee but not the long life stuff?

Surely milk will keep for 7 days although fridge space may be the issue.

8 hours ago, Merrymacs said:

Can anyone let me know if they use REAL milk on trans atlantic crossings or the usual UHT rubbish?

Dont mind paying for a real milk coffee but not the long life stuff?

Surely milk will keep for 7 days although fridge space may be the issue.

According to the Q and A section of their website, they aim to have fresh milk available for the first seven days of voyages,  so in effect a TA.

Why is UHT rubbish? It's perfectly safe and in some circumstances the least worst option.

Be aware that Oceania instituted a new menu August 2018. It is no where as good as the previous, or anything close to 5 years ago where Oceania earned their reputation for food. Those days are long gone and Oceania is living on a reputation of the past.

We were significantly disappointed with the food in October 2018.  Given the now obvious downgrading of food on Oceania, and their reputation for missing ports, we do not anticipate cruising on Oceania again given the price point and their old R ships with mechanical issues.

Have a QM2 TA booked for June.  Cunard is an excellent cruise line with interesting itineraries.

Move around and enjoy different cruise providers. Fire the ones that fail to deliver. Do not be loyal. 

Be loyal only to yourself.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 9:45 PM, exlondoner said:

According to the Q and A section of their website, they aim to have fresh milk available for the first seven days of voyages,  so in effect a TA.

Why is UHT rubbish? It's perfectly safe and in some circumstances the least worst option.

Just a preference. I don't like the taste of it.

Edited by Merrymacs

When they come round with the coffee in your dining room just insist on an Expresso they have a machine in the galley and can provide you with whatever you want. The coffee pot the waiters have is full of awful bad coffee so get a fresh one from the machine.They have soya milk if Vegan too.