Which would you do?

Lanky Lad

I am looking for a short cruise in 2019.

There is a 4 night cruise on QE in October for £500 for an inside cabin, or a 2 night cruise on QE for £449 for a Queens Grill cabin.

Do I go for the longer trip or the higher grade. What would you do?

I have booked a 2 nightery this Nov/Dec on the Q.E in a Q1 to try it out and I paid £1200 p.p.p.d Soi if you can get it at a better price than that go for it, This is a price guide not a recommendation to book a QI.

I have booked a 2 nightery this Nov/Dec on the Q.E in a Q1 to try it out and I paid £1200 p.p. Soi if you can get it at a better price than that go for it, This is a price guide not a recommendation to book a QI.
Not P.P.D £1200 each

I am looking for a short cruise in 2019.

There is a 4 night cruise on QE in October for £500 for an inside cabin, or a 2 night cruise on QE for £449 for a Queens Grill cabin.

Do I go for the longer trip or the higher grade. What would you do?

We did a 2 nighter in November 2010 in QG for my hubbys 60th birthday and took along his brother, sister and their spouses. I seem to remember that you were on the same trip.

I personally wouldn't do just 2 nights again as the whole ship had a different feel about it.

Maybe we were just unlucky, but there were lots of stags and hens aboard and a lot of travel agents who had used the trip as a perk for their staff.

I know we could have avoided all of this by sticking to the QG lounge, but we wanted to show case all of the beautiful public areas and bars to our family.

The larger staterooms were fantastic and we did manage a mini party in our suite for the 6 of us, but you don't get the perks of the free bottles of spirits on a 2 nighter. Yes - the food was good, but again with only two nights, the menu is set and you don't get the range of choices that you would get on a longer trip. There was also an issue with the waiter and sommelier who obviously thought that the majority of the clientele were not real Queens Griller's, but only there to try it out as they had got a good deal.

I also think Lancashire to Southampton is a long way to go for what is less than 48 hours on board.

On the positive side, the dress code was smart elegant for both nights, but the standard was very high with lots of tuxes and evening dresses.

So it's really down to personal choice. As you are well travelled on QM2, you would probably enjoy keeping yourself just to the QG dining room and lounge.

In 2006 I did a 3 nighter on the QE2 in one of those wonderful single Queens Grill staterooms. I still remember that trip very fondly enjoying every minute of it. The stateroom, wonderful service and above all 3 meals a day in the Queens Grill. The day in Guernsey was cancelled due to inclement weather and we had to stay on board, how happy I was!!!

If you have never done a Queens Grill cruise before, it can be a trip worth remembering!

We did a 2 nighter in November 2010 in QG for my hubbys 60th birthday and took along his brother, sister and their spouses. I seem to remember that you were on the same trip.

I personally wouldn't do just 2 nights again as the whole ship had a different feel about it.

Maybe we were just unlucky, but there were lots of stags and hens aboard and a lot of travel agents who had used the trip as a perk for their staff.

I know we could have avoided all of this by sticking to the QG lounge, but we wanted to show case all of the beautiful public areas and bars to our family.

The larger staterooms were fantastic and we did manage a mini party in our suite for the 6 of us, but you don't get the perks of the free bottles of spirits on a 2 nighter. Yes - the food was good, but again with only two nights, the menu is set and you don't get the range of choices that you would get on a longer trip. There was also an issue with the waiter and sommelier who obviously thought that the majority of the clientele were not real Queens Griller's, but only there to try it out as they had got a good deal.

I also think Lancashire to Southampton is a long way to go for what is less than 48 hours on board.

On the positive side, the dress code was smart elegant for both nights, but the standard was very high with lots of tuxes and evening dresses.

So it's really down to personal choice. As you are well travelled on QM2, you would probably enjoy keeping yourself just to the QG dining room and lounge.

I wonder why you didn't get the spirits on the two nighter, we did.

especially for 2020 because QG prices are extortionate and IMO not worth it.

I've been thinking the complete opposite. There's lots to choose from with Queens Grill coming in around £250-£270 pp pn. Obviously there's lots more that are more expensive, but plenty of options.

I've just been working out Mr HH's rota for next year to see if the November trip would be his weekend off !

It isn't [emoji33].

Enjoy whichever you choose.

But further checking revealed a 2 nighter later in November on QM2 which did work, thanks Lanky Lad for making me check it out.

I agree 2 nights isn't enough but it's better than 0 nights !

Edited by Host Hattie

We are booked on the 4 night trip on QE in October 2019. I would love to do one of the 2 night ones in November but I had better not.

Off topic, but I have been known to go to Southampton for the day. The last time was to see QE2 QM2 and QV all in port together. About a 500 mile round trip.